Alien 5 Delayed "Pending" Alien: Paradise Lost

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 30, 2015, 01:45:05 AM

Author
Alien 5 Delayed "Pending" Alien: Paradise Lost (Read 54,300 times)

Corporal Hicks

Back in August Bloody Disgusting reported that Neill Blomkamp’s Alien 5 (or 3.2) was being held back due to Ridley Scott’s Prometheus sequel. Blomkamp took to Twitter a few days later and reported that wasn’t quite true. However, according to the latest Tweet from Blomkamp Alien 5 is actually “kinda holding/ pending prometheus 2“.

Ridley Scott & Engineer

Ridley Scott and Ian Whyte on the set of Prometheus.

To what extent Alien 5 is being held back is unknown but it may appear to be a significant delay considering that Blomkamp is moving his energies elsewhere in the meantime. So I would expect to see less news on Alien 5 and more on Ridley Scott’s Alien: Paradise Lost which starts filming early next year.

Corporal Hicks

I'm disappointed but on the bright side it does mean we're not being overloaded. I imagine franchise fatigue might be an actual concern now-a-days.

To be fair, both of these films are going to have a fight winning most of the fans over. Means they get to focus their energies, I guess.

Rankles75

Wasn't expecting it for 2-3 years anyway, so it's no surprise he's working on other stuff...

viendammage

Arrrrrghhhhhh this is bull crap! Who the heck wants to see Prometheus 2?! Who?! I'm guessing this is Fox wanting to stay in business with Ridley Scott after The Martian took off. Even though Exodus was a big budget dud and The Counselor didn't do them any favors either...Truly disappointing.

RakaiThwei

This can either be a good thing.. or a bad thing.. Hard to say but I'm seeing this as a neutral thing.

As for an over-load.. well... I don't think there is an over-saturation going on but you know.. it is what is. Maybe we'll see Paradise Lost, Shane's Predator, and then Alien 3.2.

razeak

It might be healthy for story development.

FiorinaFury161

Not surprised at all. Also agree with razeak.

RakaiThwei

As long as he ignores Alien 3 (not that I hate Alien 3, I love it but.. I don't want him touching it), and doesn't go the dream or memory implant route, I don't care how long it takes.

Wobblyboddle77

I think Fox have seen the poor reception Terminator Genisys received (i know fox no longer have the rights) in the western box office (even though it performed better in china) and have got cold feet at the risk of doing either a retcon or alternate timeline approach to the Alien franchise. This coupled with Blomkamps recent films not exactly performing as expected and fox is a business, they would put the project on hold and place more emphasis on Scott with his prometheus sequel, after the success of the martian.With Ridley going back in the direction of exploring the alien franchise too, i think the studio will invest more in that, Scott has a story to tell and the studio seem to like it. I for one would much prefer to see a prometheus sequel, which explores the xenomorphs origins and  the engineers more, i'm looking forward to alien:paradise lost. If there is still a link to Ellen Ripleys character, i think it will either be the nostromo or another character related by name.

Born Of Cold Light

Very mixed in this regard.  On one hand, I was looking forward to seeing what Blomkamp could do with Alien animatronics.  On the other hand, I'm kind of happy that we aren't getting some simplistic retcon of the series that might have taken out A3 and Resurrection.  Also, this will probably mean that Prometheus 2 will be bigger and grander and have more Alien elements, but on the other hand, if it isn't good, we won't be able to say "Oh well, at least we have Alien 5 to look forward to."

DaddyYautja

aaaaaand this movie is not happening.
The director saying he is going to do other things just doesnt mean him alone. This means everyone else is now going out to do other things.

Now they will have to reschedule everything again when this thing restarts. And that will probably delay it even more.

This thing is not happening.

Born Of Cold Light

Maybe they'll ditch the idea of bringing back Ripley and Hicks and actually move the series forward.

viendammage

Funny how Fox specifically didn't want Prometheus to be direct Alien film, it did ok business but not great word of mouth and sequel is now a direct Alien movie. Blah. #HickLives

marrerom

marrerom

Quote from: Wobblyboddle77 on Oct 30, 2015, 04:03:35 AM
I think Fox have seen the poor reception Terminator Genisys received (i know fox no longer have the rights) in the western box office (even though it performed better in china) and have got cold feet at the risk of doing either a retcon or alternate timeline approach to the Alien franchise. This coupled with Blomkamps recent films not exactly performing as expected and fox is a business, they would put the project on hold and place more emphasis on Scott with his prometheus sequel, after the success of the martian.With Ridley going back in the direction of exploring the alien franchise too, i think the studio will invest more in that, Scott has a story to tell and the studio seem to like it. I for one would much prefer to see a prometheus sequel, which explores the xenomorphs origins and  the engineers more, i'm looking forward to alien:paradise lost. If there is still a link to Ellen Ripleys character, i think it will either be the nostromo or another character related by name.

^This^

Blomkamps idea to retcon the series is not reassuring. Especially seeing how Genisys (which tried to do the same thing) was rejected by audiences and critics alike.  Compare that to Ridley Scott who just hit it out of the park with the Martian and its no wonder why Fox has decided to move ahead with the Prometheus sequel and not a Alien retcon.

predxeno

Quote from: viendammage on Oct 30, 2015, 02:11:08 AM
Arrrrrghhhhhh this is bull crap! Who the heck wants to see Prometheus 2?! Who?! I'm guessing this is Fox wanting to stay in business with Ridley Scott after The Martian took off. Even though Exodus was a big budget dud and The Counselor didn't do them any favors either...Truly disappointing.

^This, nobody cares about Prometheus 2 anymore, Alien 5 was where all the attention was.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed