Started by Darkness, Nov 01, 2006, 08:18:10 AM

Bishop in Alien 3 - Human or Android?

Human
393 (59.6%)
Android
266 (40.4%)

Total Members Voted: 609

Author
Bishop in Alien 3 - Human or Android? (Read 363,288 times)

Deadmeat

But how can he be human if he's not a clone or an ancestor?

maledoro

Quote from: deadmeat on Jun 13, 2009, 01:12:54 PM
But how can he be human if he's not a clone or an ancestor?
I suspect that they may be related. Before AVP was released, several fans (most notably SM) had accepted Michael Bishop as the name of Bishop's creator.

With Charles Bishop Weyland being the name of one of the founders of the Company, there could be the possibility of Michael Bishop being either a direct or indirect descendant (such as him being a direct descendant of Mike's brother or sister) of Chuck.

TJ Doc

While doing some digging, I came across this interview IGN had with Lance Henriksen back in 2004. It may not amount to much, but it's still interesting to here a view from the man himself. Here's an extract:

Q: In the third Alien movie, was your character human?

HENRIKSEN: They were leaving that open because they weren't sure what they were going to do with me. But what I saw was that it was a more advanced model certainly. Again, I love the idea of the advanced models. And this is a prequel, so I feel happy and well rounded.

Full interview: http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/513/513443p1.html

maledoro

Quote from: TJ Doc on Jun 13, 2009, 01:36:13 PM
While doing some digging, I came across this interview IGN had with Lance Henriksen back in 2004. It may not amount to much, but it's still interesting to here a view from the man himself. Here's an extract:

Q: In the third Alien movie, was your character human?

HENRIKSEN: They were leaving that open because they weren't sure what they were going to do with me. But what I saw was that it was a more advanced model certainly. Again, I love the idea of the advanced models. And this is a prequel, so I feel happy and well rounded.

Full interview: http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/513/513443p1.html
That's fine and dandy, but the year before, Henriksen had said otherwise. From the AlienĀ³ DVD commentary track:
QuoteGillis: It's so brief when Lance gets hit with this lead pipe. But we had done this appliance that showed that his ear had been dislodged. The whole point was that Fincher wanted to show that, you know, without a doubt that this is the real guy and not a synthetic person.

Henriksen: In the script it said "Bishop I" and "Bishop II". And to play the creator of Bishop, which would be this guy, I didn't have to do anything. I mean I, literally, as an actor, didn't have to do anything.
Considering that Henriksen could remember something like that from 1992 to 2003 and then conveniently forget it the following year tells me that he was just covering Anderson's ass.

TJ Doc

Yeah, I would imagine so. Still, opinions change.

maledoro

Quote from: TJ Doc on Jun 13, 2009, 01:56:10 PM
Yeah, I would imagine so. Still, opinions change.
But whether or not he's human isn't a matter of opinion; it's a statement of fact. The fact is, the creators of that movie said he was human; that is a fact, not an opinion. If Henriksen wants to say, "They were leaving that open because they weren't sure what they were going to do with me," that, too, is a statement fact, but it's a false fact. No opinion was expressed either on the commentary track or in that interview.

Corporal Lewis Hicks

i was sure he was a real human untill i saw avp . then i saw some where that he was a clone im not sure ?

SM

SM

The only clones in any Alien film are Ripley1-8.

wolfpredator416

My opinion is avp messed this up, before i watched avp i was certain that the bishop in alien 3 was human but after watching avp i got really confused

maledoro

Quote from: wolfpredator416 on Jul 02, 2009, 08:36:32 AM
My opinion is avp messed this up, before i watched avp i was certain that the bishop in alien 3 was human but after watching avp i got really confused
As I've said before, I don't see how anyone could be confused by this. Two different guys who look somewhat alike; may be related, may not be related; living in two different times. Things like that happen in reality, too.

Vulhala

With the same last name working for the same company  :D

xeno_alpha_07

When it comes to this topic i agree with what maledoro says 100%

maledoro

Quote from: Vulhala on Jul 02, 2009, 02:16:42 PM
With the same last name working for the same company  :D
1. Only Chuck Weyland's name is mentioned onscreen.
2. Going by other sources, Bishop's designer's surname is Bishop, not Weyland.
3. I didn't rule out that they might be related somehow. As a current example, there are three people named Ford who are members of the board at the Ford Motor Company, 106 years after the company was founded.

wolfpredator416

Quote from: maledoro on Jul 02, 2009, 02:13:03 PM
As I've said before, I don't see how anyone could be confused by this. Two different guys who look somewhat alike; may be related, may not be related; living in two different times. Things like that happen in reality, too.
Actually that kinda makes sense, it could be that the bishop seen in Alien 3 is a descendant form the bishop in AvP

Haloxpok3mon

Quote from: wolfpredator416 on Jul 03, 2009, 08:45:04 AM
Quote from: maledoro on Jul 02, 2009, 02:13:03 PM
Actually that kinda makes sense, it could be that the bishop seen in Alien 3 is a descendant form the bishop in AvP

WHAT? Yeah and he looks identical to the one in AvP even though many centuries have past. Yeah right, the Bishop in A3 was a f**king robot with human colored blood dammit.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed