Started by Darkness, Nov 01, 2006, 08:18:10 AM

Bishop in Alien 3 - Human or Android?

Human
393 (59.6%)
Android
266 (40.4%)

Total Members Voted: 609

Author
Bishop in Alien 3 - Human or Android? (Read 363,300 times)

SM

SM

And has been shown in real life examples strewn across the last 205 pages - this isn't anything uncommon.

StrangeShape

Perhaps. But sends mixed signals and confusion about true identity of "Bishop II"

SM

SM

Also as the last 205 pages has shown...

But when one is confused, then one should look for answers.  The answers are easy to find and quite explicit.

thecaffeinatedone

He was human in every single script and draft. He even died in a few. Bloody ear was sloppy FX...and AVP was retconned...yadayadayada etc. and such. No argument really.

SM

SM

What was sloppy about the effects?

StrangeShape

Quote from: SM on Jan 31, 2013, 01:31:35 AM
Also as the last 205 pages has shown...

But when one is confused, then one should look for answers.  The answers are easy to find and quite explicit.

But the TC made me think he was a droid for years. Yes, there are answers there, like script or novelization, but the movie itself at first convinced me hes a droid. From Lance's sinister performance through the point I pointed out like nobody from med team caring for him being hit to him withstanding a blow to the head, it all seemed rather clear in favor of him being a droid. The credits showing "Bishop II" underlined that thesis

SM

SM

I don't ever recall thinking he was a robot.  Probably because I read the novelisation around the same time as the film came out.  But even then, with all the changes from novel to film, it still never crossed my mind.

StrangeShape

Quote from: SM on Jan 31, 2013, 02:45:26 AM
I don't ever recall thinking he was a robot.  Probably because I read the novelisation around the same time as the film came out.  But even then, with all the changes from novel to film, it still never crossed my mind.

But as you said, you were in a very different position cause you read the novel. I only had the movie to go by for quite some time, and didnt really started digging into outside material untill Alien DC came out

SiL

SiL

The movie showed me a dude with red blood screaming "I'm not a droid!"

Nine year old me was thoroughly convinced that the man was telling the truth, what with every droid up until that point bleeding white blood and being made out of pasta.

SM

SM

Even being told by the novel that he was human, it never occurred to me that 'A man shouldn't be able withstand such an attack'.

OpenMaw

It does make me wonder, those who have a hard time understanding the type of wound Bishop had there, that they must not have dealt with much in the way of physical injury. People can take quite a bit of abuse without "passing out."

There was a guy who cut his own arm off to escape a bolder. Didn't faint. There was a story of a man in the middle east, at the epicenter of a malfunctioned IED (Premature explosion) he took a really bad hit, but he was able to get up and walk away from the situation.

Or, if you want to get really nasty and graphic. Go look up victims who have been hit with a shotgun blast to the face. They're very much awake and aware, with most of their face gone.

Having a wrench bash your shoulder and then cut your ear into a dangling bit of flesh is not that crazy or out there. Painful? Oh, no doubt... BUt you could survive it, be conscious.

StrangeShape

Quote from: SiL on Jan 31, 2013, 03:04:48 AM
The movie showed me a dude with red blood screaming "I'm not a droid!"

Anyone can tell a lie. Just because Burke said that hes just going to wipe aliens out didnt mean he was telling the truth. As far as blood, as I said, I think that would be the first thing that WY would think of when sending someone who would built suspicion in Ripley right away

Xenomorphine

To this day, I honestly still think it's best that everyone just agree to disagree over this issue.

Intended to be interpreted as a human? Yeah. Likely human? Yeah. Enough wriggle room for a future writer to retroactively play the character off as some different type of droid? Also, yeah (and, ultimately, was). Especially if white fluids had been declared purely a legal necessity to prevent emergency services wasting resources on 'injured humans' in things like traffic incidents.

Bishop 2 was probably a human, but if someone prefers to think otherwise, there's never going to be 100% over-riding proof in the opposite direction. Ever.

Now, let's spend our time on a far more cerebral and worthy mystery, like whether facehuggers dream...

SM

SM

QuoteJust because Burke said that hes just going to wipe aliens out didnt mean he was telling the truth.

I think he was telling the truth at the time.

StrangeShape

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jan 31, 2013, 03:37:17 AM
It does make me wonder, those who have a hard time understanding the type of wound Bishop had there, that they must not have dealt with much in the way of physical injury. People can take quite a bit of abuse without "passing out."

There was a guy who cut his own arm off to escape a bolder. Didn't faint. There was a story of a man in the middle east, at the epicenter of a malfunctioned IED (Premature explosion) he took a really bad hit, but he was able to get up and walk away from the situation.

Or, if you want to get really nasty and graphic. Go look up victims who have been hit with a shotgun blast to the face. They're very much awake and aware, with most of their face gone.

Having a wrench bash your shoulder and then cut your ear into a dangling bit of flesh is not that crazy or out there. Painful? Oh, no doubt... BUt you could survive it, be conscious.

Again , its possible,. But in a movie which isnt that clear on wheter the person is real or not, such exceptional or amazing invulnerability wont work in favor of convincing the audience that the guy is human

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed