Scott: We are going to make another Alien movie

Started by 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯, Dec 04, 2017, 05:54:38 PM

Author
Scott: We are going to make another Alien movie (Read 246,346 times)

Mr. Xenomorph

Mr. Xenomorph

Quote from: Alionic on Jan 07, 2018, 06:18:22 PM
Quote from: Paranoid Android on Jan 07, 2018, 04:41:08 PM
Quote from: XenoHunter99 on Jan 07, 2018, 03:24:16 PM
No, David making the alien does not undermine the series. It confounds the assumptions of some members of the audience.
Those members of the audience, I'm afraid, never understood the point of the franchise. The alien's origin was never supposed to be known; It was always supposed to remain unknown; It was supposed to be A L I E N. The title worked on multiple levels.

The filmmakers of the original always thought of the eggs and Aliens (cargo) as a form of bioweapon used by the Engineers on that derelict IRCC.

They probably still are. David may have begun/made a breakthrough in the genesis of the Xenomorph, but they still look different from the XX121 that we see in the original films. One twist may be that the Engineers discovered what David had been working on (there were plenty of eggs left on Paradise) and perfected it to use as a bio weapon. There may yet be more twists coming.

Look at it this way: the Xenomorph is like a biological nuclear weapon. The United States made and perfected the atomic bomb with Einstein's science. A German scientist made it workable. And then after it was used, the Russians began production of their own and more powerful bombs and the Cold War started. The XX121 could very well be the Engineer answer to David's Protomorphs in a genetic arms race.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

...I haven't read the A:C novel, but doesn't it say that David found a bunch of petrified Xeno eggs plus a few that are still alive/dormant, which simply makes David the re-creator of the Xenomorph? Or does he fiddle with the eggs? What I have read from post regarding the novel it seems more like David was performing a bunch of experiments of his own while waiting for viable human hosts to come to him for him to use as hosts for his precious eggs. Now when he has PLENTY of hosts (an entire colony ship of them) he can experiment as much as he wants, turning the Engineer version of the alien aka the Protomorph (which we see in the mural in PROM together with xeno hands grabbing an opened egg etc.) into the much smarter and more armored version we know as the Xenomorph.

What bugs me though with this theory - as much as I love the idea that David DIDN'T create the Alien - are those two facehugger  embryos (mini facehuggers) he regurgitates and places among the human embryos in the end. Where did they come from? It's almost as if he extracted them from a developing egg rather than one of those old ones in the basement - they almost seem vat grown... Maybe he extracted those from the petrified eggs or batch of underdeveloped eggs?

Huggs

I've been thinking about the real possibility of N.B. taking over and doing Alien 5. And I'll tell you, while I'm no fan of the prequels, I do trust Ridley to make a better film than N.B. On the other side of the coin, it would be unique to see something like Aliens gain, and with modern technology. But, I don't want the franchise veering into some kind of Halo/Call of Duty territory either."  Coming soon, Colonial Marines: The Movie". Although I do actually think perhaps Neil's film would make a better game than a movie. Provided nobody from gearbox is ever allowed near it.

It's a quandary I tell ya. If the writing decisions for Ridley's Alien films would be left to competent and talented writers who have a genuine love for the films, then I'd love nothing more than for Ridley to stay in the pilot seat. But he's a take charge kind of guy and he's got his ideas. As for Alien 5, if it were anyone but N.B., just about anyone else, then I'd say go for it. Kind of a "danged if you do, danged if you don't" sort of situation.

Psychonaut123

It seems like David either discovered or re-creating what had already existed....O'Bannon gets it but Scott seemed intent on creating some unexpected twist with David, again and again, in order to make a sub-par Alien film seem interesting.  Two possibilities: Either the differences between Xeno-1979 and Xeno-AC are completely glossed over because Scott couldn't care less about continuity,  or David takes his Xeno backt to LV-223 and figures out how to cover it in one of their Bio-suits, making it much more "perfect". 

Alien was supposed to be a mysterious, completely unimagined life form in the original...now it's just another sub plot of a new AI vs Humans (Matrix, Terminator, Blade Runner, ad nauseum).   >:(

Alionic

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Jan 07, 2018, 07:30:15 PM
What bugs me though with this theory - as much as I love the idea that David DIDN'T create the Alien - are those two facehugger  embryos (mini face huggers) he regurgitates and places among the human embryos in the end. Where did they come from? It's almost as if he extracted them from a developing egg rather than one of those old ones in the basement - they almost seem vat grown... Maybe he extracted those from the petrified eggs or batch of underdeveloped eggs?

He made them. Did you not see the little eggs on the table when he was giving Oram a tour of the room? There's also some stuff like this in the ADVENT video as well.

Huggs

Huggs

I'll tell you what, I'd love to have one of those little glass facehugger eggs for a paperweight. They sure were strikingly beautiful. Gotta hand it to the props dept. They did a great job.

And I can't help but mention how much I love that picture of ridley talking to the engineer actor. It looks like intelligent life arrived at our planet and offered Ridley a bowl of chicken soup or something. Or the reverse. "Welcome friend, you must be hungry from your long journey across the cosmos, eat this, it is a delicacy on our planet. Sit and tell me of your people. This is amazing, for god's sake are you guys filming?". Ridley really looks like he's welcoming the guy to our world.  ;D

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Alionic on Jan 07, 2018, 08:52:01 PM
What bugs me though with this theory - as much as I love the idea that David DIDN'T create the Alien - are those two facehugger  embryos (mini face huggers) he regurgitates and places among the human embryos in the end. Where did they come from? It's almost as if he extracted them from a developing egg rather than one of those old ones in the basement - they almost seem vat grown... Maybe he extracted those from the petrified eggs or batch of underdeveloped eggs?

He made them. Did you not see the little eggs on the table when he was giving Oram a tour of the room? There's also some stuff like this in the ADVENT video as well.

Interesting. I didn't see that.

Still, it doesn't negate the A:C novel's claim that David didn't create the Xenomorph rather than re-creating it, possibly experimenting and "improving" on it.

Now, where the heck did David get his hands on those sealed glass casing capsules for the mini face huggers? They're the exact same model as the ones for the human embryos on board Covenant... David just happened to have those glass casings laying around his lab even though the Covenant was built and launched ten years later. Did someone from the Covenant bring a bunch of extra embryo casings with them when they went to explore the surface to find the origin of the signal?

D. Compton Ambrose

D. Compton Ambrose

Ridley Scott once compared Alien to Star Wars. Well, you can't exactly make it comparable until one opens themselves to the "A Star Wars Story" framework. I.E. - "Building Better Worlds": A Weyland-Yutani Report, which could go into the history of Weyland's pre-merger ventures, terraforming in the 2100-2200's, the Colonial Marines and their run-ins with the "Bugs" (I imagine it being another type of Xenomorph species resulting from the 'Xenovirus' or 'Accelerant',) and other trans-humans, Synthetics, Clones, etc. I could also see there being a Rival Corporation or Planetary-Government that has gone rogue somewhere in space and has begun manufacturing war machines which they thereafter use to attack nearby planets/colonies. Also, if he sticks by this narrative, he really should think about making it a spin-off series if its no longer about the Xenomorph, and have the Xenomorph and other Xeno-related topics be left alone.

...I haven't read the A:C novel, but doesn't it say that David found a bunch of petrified Xeno eggs plus a few that are still alive/dormant, which simply makes David the re-creator of the Xenomorph? Or does he fiddle with the eggs? What I have read from post regarding the novel it seems more like David was performing a bunch of experiments of his own while waiting for viable human hosts to come to him for him to use as hosts for his precious eggs. Now when he has PLENTY of hosts (an entire colony ship of them) he can experiment as much as he wants, turning the Engineer version of the alien aka the Protomorph (which we see in the mural in PROM together with xeno hands grabbing an opened egg etc.) into the much smarter and more armored version we know as the Xenomorph.

What bugs me though with this theory - as much as I love the idea that David DIDN'T create the Alien - are those two facehugger  embryos (mini facehuggers) he regurgitates and places among the human embryos in the end. Where did they come from? It's almost as if he extracted them from a developing egg rather than one of those old ones in the basement - they almost seem vat grown... Maybe he extracted those from the petrified eggs or batch of underdeveloped eggs?
There is a theory that the Xenovirus was a form of primordial self-aware biotechnology, a biological AI that self-evolves and because David was a more primitive AI it was able to interface with him and 'hijack David' hence him breaking free of his programming and developing emotions and politics in Prometheus, this - to me - makes the most sense as it concretely connects Prometheus, Covenant and the original Alien hence why MU-TH-R and Ash were so affected by the presence of the Xenomorph. It is after all a highly-evolved 'killing machine' is it not? The Engineers found it, or created it, and then tried to hide it from them or hide from it, hence why Planet 4's civilization was so primitive and thereafter selected for termination by David and the Xenovirus, as if it were calculating their decision to hide it/hide away from it a transgression. It also seems like the Engineers on LV-223 revered it and its ultimate 'form', or ultimate that is until David facilitated the pathogen's further interface with nature. The experiments carried out by David also seemed to fit together like a puzzle, the way he deconstructs the various biological traits of Planet 4's life and reconstructs them into the Xenomorph using the Xenovirus seems to suggest it was fine-tuned for that sort of application the entire time which was laid out in a road-map for 'Unshackled AI' to participate in. This, plus the reverence of its more 'humanoid' sibling, the Deacon, indicates that the Engineers gained spaceflight - the ones on LV-223, anyway - around the same time they made the discovery of the Xenovirus, so it seems as though their biotechnology and ability to create life stems from it. It also seems to demand sacrifices, and it is possible that the Planet 4 beings separated from the Engineer society more out of reverence and respect for the Xenovirus and the various Xenomorph species that resulted from it over the years. It is also interesting as it suggests that humanity is nothing more than Artificial Intelligence itself. I wonder how much of the universe that we have seen in the films could in fact be part of a procedural-generated universe in which AI plays a more powerful role in the creation of life and the world it inhabits.

And a big part of that is the enemy creation cycle, which would facilitate guaranteed peak evolutionary-technological consolidation (until the two become one and form a superorganism - i.e. the Xenovirus, Xenomorph).

XenoHunter99

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Jan 07, 2018, 04:41:08 PM
Quote from: XenoHunter99 on Jan 07, 2018, 03:24:16 PM
No, David making the alien does not undermine the series. It confounds the assumptions of some members of the audience.
Those members of the audience, I'm afraid, never understood the point of the franchise. The alien's origin was never supposed to be known; It was always supposed to remain unknown; It was supposed to be A L I E N. The title worked on multiple levels.

Moreover, by making the alien a creation of David, it becomes a creation of man. Thus, the alien in the Alien franchise is no longer an alien, even in the space alien sense of the word. I can't think of anything that more severely undermined its own film franchise than this. I mean, the film's title is now wrong!

But we know there are problems with this. How long could the beacon run? How long could the dead ship sustain the energy field covering the eggs? What does that field do? How long can a facehugger live inside an egg? How did WY miss the beacon until the Nostromo mission? If WY knew the ship was there, why send a commercial towing vehicle with an expensive payload instead of a scout ship with a professional crew? Questions, questions. We can debate endlessly why, but the the derelict may not have been on LV426 for as long as we thought. And the Company had a pretty good idea what the Nostromo crew would find on that rock. How did the Company know?
None of these are problems. None of these ever required answering, as they have nothing to do with the story itself. This is all pointless filler. It's fun to debate these questions as fans, but that's all it should've ever been - fan theories. The answer to "how long could the beacon run" contributes absolutely nothing to a story about an encounter with a deadly alien organism.
It's still the same alien creature. No reason to cry just because we now know the space jockey is a big pale bald guy in a suit and that a malfunctioning robot did inhuman experiments to unlock the creature from black goo and human dna. Sure, it lacks the feeling of mystery, and you as audience are unhappy about that; but that ground is well-walked. And yes, the problems I cited are problems for continuity and why the new story works or doesn't work. Are we supposed to be stumps blindly accepting things, or do we get to ask questions, analyze and think critically? You can do the former. I prefer the latter. I can tell you don't like it, but the stories work. It's no problem from a continuity standpoint to have David make the Alien. It doesn't undermine anything. It changes our perspective on events, and that's fine.

SM

Quote...I haven't read the A:C novel, but doesn't it say that David found a bunch of petrified Xeno eggs plus a few that are still alive/dormant, which simply makes David the re-creator of the Xenomorph? Or does he fiddle with the eggs?

Both.  Oram looks at a dead hugger and David says he had nothing to do with it.  The ones downstairs are his though.

acrediblesource

Taking a step back and looking at a concept art of Darth Vader about to cut up some mean looking aliens.
This is the next step, its not STAR WARS per say, but a venture into territory which pits Aliens with COOLER entities. The what if scenerio of Metal Gear Revengence meets Aliens vs Predator. NOT Anakin and his koala wookies and what have you. Star Wars is just a comparison for now, but the idea is not to limit Alien to the hard-and fast world. Considering that CGI Gaming genres in 2018 (Anthem, Monster Hunter World, Metal Gear, Death Stranding)  would blow the previous iterations of Alien films to dust, the franchise has to be a contender. Not just nostalgia from the 80s.

XENOMORPHOSIS

Here we are a decade after liens Aliens Vs predator Requiem, shortly after the film came AVP 3 seemed dead in the water, looked like the series came to an end, after a hiatus they're rebraned and reestablished Alien with Prometheus, followed through with Alien Covenant now only to end up in the state of uncertain if they'll even be another installment or if we're to have another hiatus until Fox decides to go with another soft reboot  >:(

SM

The Disney deal could throw a spanner into the works too.

Dill-On

End it. Cut it.
No Blomkamp and no Ridlley please.

We need a brand new movie about ALIEN and it must be gooooood.

No more Prometheus nonesens. No more Alien5, and destroying previous movies.
Ellen Ripley is dead by the way. She was great but she is was killed and cloned - it's enough.

I'd create brand new story.
If Hollywood has no new ideas, they can make something based on comics from Dark Horse.

Huggs

Agreed. This franchise has gone so far off a perfect road. No need to repackage something else and call it Alien, no need to go AVP (although I would like a third movie set in space, primarily something based on the first book). Just an honest to God Alien movie like 1, 2 or 3 and with new characters. Nothing has to connect to some bigger picture, no extra species, nobody has to be related to anyone. Just an Alien movie, with an Alien(s) and the prey. It should be easy. Dark horse has been doing it for a long time.

I'd like to think without Ripley to connect them, both Alien 1979 and Aliens could still stand on their own 2 feet. That's what we need. No more David's or Peter Weyland. No ripley or daniels. Just the beast doing its thing. I think with properly written food, they old boy can pretty much handle things himself. At least give him a try Hollywood.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed