Last Movie You Watched Part 1

Started by Ratchetcomand, Dec 08, 2007, 05:28:17 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched Part 1 (Read 1,067,945 times)

Shasvre

Shasvre

A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010) - Not as terrible as some people make it out to be, but not really that good either. Almost feels like it could be split into two stories for that matter, one with Kris and Jesse, and one with Quentin and Nancy. Apart from them knowing each other at kids, there's not much of a connection between them and close to zero interesting interaction.

I mostly watched this again because of Rooney Mara. Wanted to see her in something else before TGWTDT comes out next month. She's not given much to work with here though, but there are bits and pieces where she shows some promise of talent, if she was only given a bit of better direction and lines. Which of course will be the case in TGWTDT.

As for this, I would rate it 6/10. I liked it more when I saw it the first time, that's for sure.

Fright Night (2011) - This was actually better than I thought it would be. Colin Farrell was great as the vampire, which for that matter looked awesome. Nice actually seeing a real monster instead of the typical pretty boy vampire many movies go with these days. And speaking of that, it was also pretty cool seeing a return of the more supernatural vampire instead of just another "vampire virus". And with that came of course the good old methods of crosses, stakes, garlic and so on.

Yelchin did a nice enough job as the main character Charley. Tennant was pretty awesome as well. Along with Farrell, they formed a strong enough trio for me to not voice any concerns about the acting in this movie. Can't say I really cared that much about anyone else, but that wasn't really needed as the focus was put on these guys.

I would rate this 8/10.

BobGrill

BobGrill

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Nov 27, 2011, 07:43:22 PM
GODZILLA
Words... are not needed to express how much I love this film.

What did you see, old man?

Gojira... Gojira.

It is much better than most people make it out to be.

Predator Queen

Predator Queen

Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - 9/10

Requiem28

Requiem28

Quote from: BobGrill on Nov 27, 2011, 11:49:10 PM
Quote from: OmegaZilla on Nov 27, 2011, 07:43:22 PM
GODZILLA
Words... are not needed to express how much I love this film.

What did you see, old man?

Gojira... Gojira.

It is much better than most people make it out to be.

Totally, and I love that pic  ;)  Just watched this the other day, infact...

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Nov 27, 2011, 05:14:24 PM
Quote from: SpaceMarines on Nov 27, 2011, 02:44:19 PM
I'm still hoping for a movie that can exploit that setting to the fullest of its potential. There's so much that could be done with the Grid.

As am I. Logically, moving forward, the next film should have the Grid connect to the internet. I also think it might be cool to see it take place on a more advanced version of the Grid form the first movie, rather than Flynn's personal Grid.
Oh god, if they went back to the old Grid look I will cry tears of dismay.

But they wont, so all's fine...

TheMonolith

TheMonolith

The Wizard of Oz
Still among the greatest fantasy films ever, and it doesn't hold back on the humor. Is it a favorite of mine? Not teally, but how can it be anything but a classic?
Cine-Meter, 10/10
Mono-Meter, 8/10

Duck Soup
My favorite comedy of all time. Side splitting. Perfect punch lines. Brilliant set up. The movie is much shorter than it seems, but this is the movie that you love for it. Extremely effective given politics of today as well.
Cine-Meter, 10/10
Mono-Meter, 10/10

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Nov 28, 2011, 02:07:32 AM
I'm still hoping for a movie that can exploit that setting to the fullest of its potential. There's so much that could be done with the Grid.

As am I. Logically, moving forward, the next film should have the Grid connect to the internet. I also think it might be cool to see it take place on a more advanced version of the Grid form the first movie, rather than Flynn's personal Grid.
(In incredibly snooty voice.)
I cry tears of dismay when I, a three year scholar of motion picture, find my tastes to be questioned.
(Sips snooty tea while sitting in snooty chair within a snooty room)

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Quote from: TheMonolith on Nov 28, 2011, 02:20:06 AM

(In incredibly snooty voice.)
I cry tears of dismay when I, a three year scholar of motion picture, find my tastes to be questioned.
(Sips snooty tea while sitting in snooty chair within a snooty room)
hhhMPH!
(Throws napkin down, sticks nose up, and walks off)

TheMonolith

TheMonolith

(Takes another sip while nodding, pleased with self)
Now I must partake in snooty things. Which puppy farm will light up this week?
(Laughs in that snooty way.)

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

If you harm even one puppy I will launch you into space with a kick to the balls.

Spoiler
I love puppies.  :)
[close]

Ghostface

Ghostface

Green Lantern. Far from being a good film, but a lot better than people made it out to be. No worse that the FF films.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

But they wont, so all's fine...

I wouldn't mind a look that seemed less real.

Daken

Daken

• Captain America
  • Super 8

• Scary Movie 3
  • Conan

Shasvre

Shasvre

The Edge (1997) - A great movie starring Anthony Hopkins and Alec Baldwin, where they are stranded out in the wilderness and hunted down by a man-eating bear on their way back to civilization. Hopkins' Charles is a surprisingly likeable character and I immediately took a liking to him. Another thing I really liked was the score by Jerry Goldsmith, which was very good and went quite well with the epic shots of the North American wilderness.

Oh, and a big thank you to First Blood for bringing this up in The Grey thread. :)

First Blood

First Blood

No problem Laufey! Glad you enjoyed it.  :)

Keg

Keg

The Thing (2011).

Never have I wanted to like a film so much and never before have I changed my mind so many times while watching a film. Started off piss poor and everything happens too quick, with thing transformations that just dont make sense. After the initial attack and the helicopter scene I was worried. Then I started to really enjoy it when it slowed down into familiar paranoia territory like the original, then the finale pissed me off with that stupid looking creature and then the credits made me like it again with the excellent tie in to the original.

For everything I liked about the film there was always something that would ruin it.

I want to give it a 6/10 but that would imply it was better than average and I dont think it was. It wasnt awful like some people had led me to believe but compared to Carpenters its piss poor. The at times, poor CGI, didnt bother me. What bothered me was that there wasnt really any decent forms of the thing other than the hands which were unexpected. Everything else just seemed to be a human, contorted with tentacles coming out of their chests.

The first film had dogs heads turning inside out, chests becoming bear traps, heads splitting in half like venus fly traps, walking heads etc etc. This film only really had the "hands". Nothing else stood out for me as being memorable and nothing really freaked me out or grossed me out the way the first film did on several occassions.

For a first viewing im gonna give this a 5/10.

Could have been alot worse but its frustrating because it shows small glimpses of getting it right, only to continually f**k it up each time the film seems to be on track.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed