Looming SAG-AFTRA strike throws a monkey wrench into Alien series production

Started by Gimitko, Jul 13, 2023, 09:12:38 AM

Author
Looming SAG-AFTRA strike throws a monkey wrench into Alien series production (Read 17,124 times)

Local Trouble

SiL's wish might come true after all.

Ingwar

What's his wish? To burn it down?

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

This series might still be able to continue production using non SAG-AFTRA talent.

Gladiator II however is now in danger of getting scrapped if the strike really is going to spill over into next year.

Eal

Quote from: Ingwar on Aug 08, 2023, 08:41:19 PMIt's getting worse. I doubt it will be solved this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_OEgpFnpA8

It guess it'll have to expand to more sectors and go on.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1689241852971569152

Iger's been flirting with this for years and years now. Would be absolutely f**king terrible if it were to go through. Disney gutting important studios, impacting the industry as we know it, and then selling odds and ends for spare parts in order to bring forth yet another merger that should in no way be legal?

I hope this never steps up to become anything more than a pipe dream in the rotting brains of some shitty corporate overlords.

EDIT:

https://twitter.com/Collider/status/1689283106916782080

Also incredibly f**king vile...

Kradan

I say go for it. Let this blob grow as big as possible - I just want to see the explosion

Ingwar

Yea, it's going to be beautiful disaster ... and at the and they will sell it to apple. Mark my words.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I asked ChatGPT to write a Marvel scene with Joss Whedon style quips. This is what I got:

INT. AVENGERS TOWER - NIGHT

The Avengers are gathered around a table, planning their next move. TONY STARK (Iron Man) is at the head of the table, smirking. STEVE ROGERS (Captain America), NATASHA ROMANOFF (Black Widow), BRUCE BANNER (Hulk), THOR, and CLINT BARTON (Hawkeye) are all present.

TONY: So, we're all agreed then? We go in, we smash, we grab, we save the day. Easy as pie.

STEVE: Pie isn't easy to make, Tony.

TONY: You would know, Cap. How's the 1940s recipe book treating you?

NATASHA: Can we focus, please? The world's in danger, remember?

BRUCE: (dryly) Is it ever not?

CLINT: I think it took a day off last Tuesday.

THOR: A day off? On Asgard, we battle every moment!

TONY: (grinning) And they say I never take a break.

STEVE: (serious) Enough. We need a plan, not jokes.

TONY: (mock salute) Aye aye, Captain Serious.

NATASHA: (to Tony) You know, for a genius, you act like a child.

TONY: (feigning hurt) Ouch. Right in the ego.

BRUCE: (muttering) What ego?

THOR: (confused) What is this "ego" you speak of?

CLINT: It's like Mjölnir, but for Tony's head.

TONY: (laughing) Nice one, Legolas.

STEVE: (firmly) Enough! We have work to do.

TONY: (sobering) You're right, Cap. Let's save the world. Again.

NATASHA: (smirking) It's what we do best.

BRUCE: (dryly) And they say practice makes perfect.

They all get up, ready to face the challenge ahead, but not without one last quip.

TONY: Alright, team, let's go be heroes. Or, you know, just another day at the office.

They head out, ready to face whatever comes next.

FADE TO BLACK.

That's all Disney has to do now.  They'll rake in the billions and never pay another living writer ever again.

Kradan

You unimaginable bastard

Local Trouble

It's as if they've been letting ChatGPT write their scripts for the past ten years anyway.

SiL

Do they not realise that the movies audiences are going to replace with their own home-made AI creations are the blockbusters? Nobody's going to sit down with MyOwnMovie AI and make a twee indie romcom, they're going for spectacle.

Star Wars fans will reshoot half your f**king TV show and edit it into something new, they're going to pounce on these tools when they're mature.

Hollywood has determined that the most profitable way to do business is exploit existing IPS - sequels, remakes, adaptations, reboots, etc - because of the inbuilt audience and brand recognition. But that means a whole lot of audiences who have very specific ideas about what they want to see in those movies. When they have the tools to make them with minimal effort, they'll take it.

Ingwar

I naively hope the upcoming aftermath of strikes will be this:

1. Blockbusters will be cheaper (nowadays movies are ridiculously expensive) because cheaper means more creative freedom. More freedom, better quality product.
2. There will be less movies made each year. Let's be honest, majority of movies are sheer garbage. It's quantity over quality but it should be the other way round. Less is more.
3. Less CGI, more practical effects. Back to the roots.

SiL

The only one that seems likely is number 2, which seems poised to happen regardless as studios realise people don't have as much time post-pandemic and aren't ravenously consuming content like they were.

Eal

Eal

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 09, 2023, 06:20:47 PMIt's as if they've been letting ChatGPT write their scripts for the past ten years anyway.

Design-by-committee movies function similarly to a large language model, so yeah. They could literally do it and probably get away with it in most some cases. That goes to my unsupported contention that most studio heads could be replaced by AIs and nobody would know the difference. All financial computation, all demographics and marketing, all business-like and giving the appearance of intelligence, linguistically anyway, but no soul or brain.

Ingwar

Indie movies might be the future.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed