was AvP a rip off of Prometheus?

Started by bishoop, Oct 25, 2012, 10:36:10 PM

Author
was AvP a rip off of Prometheus? (Read 24,044 times)

JPredator

JPredator

FOr all its flaws, i too enjoy Prometheus. Beyond the characters questionable actions, the only thing that bothered me was the depiction of the engineers.

I am not a fan of linking them to human creation nor am i a fan of them being humanoid. For me, it takes away the very thing that made the Aliens Alien.

I would really like to read  Aliens Apocalypse: Destroying Angels too. heard good things about it. ALso need to finally get around to reading ALiens Nightmare asylum/Earth War as well.

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

Quote from: JPredator on Jan 27, 2014, 11:42:58 AM
I would really like to read  Aliens Apocalypse: Destroying Angels too. heard good things about it. ALso need to finally get around to reading ALiens Nightmare asylum/Earth War as well.

It's a pretty interesting story, but I'm not as much of a fan of it as some. It has many of the same problems that Prometheus wound up having, no surprise given that Spaihts basically adapted it into Alien: Engineers. It does make me glad that Prometheus tangentialized away from the xenos (save the Deacon, of course), because in Destroying Angels they feel really tacked on, and they have no impact on the story to speak of.

Quote from: JPredator on Jan 27, 2014, 11:42:58 AM
I am not a fan of linking them to human creation nor am i a fan of them being humanoid. For me, it takes away the very thing that made the Aliens Alien.

That's cool, but I suggest you take at look at Aliens Omnibus 1, particularly the final short "The Alien." It basically proves that Ridley was right about living, elephant-like Space Jockeys looking really goofy.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Quote from: Jigsaw85 on Jan 27, 2014, 01:04:30 AM
At least Paul W.S Anderson wanted to do something as original as possible. I can't find many similiarties between AVP and the other alien films besides a few well placed subtle references. Even Predators seems to take a few Ideas from AVP: 3 predators, foot print detecting predator vision, hologram displayed by wrist computer, "The enemy of my enemy...", projectile wrist blades.

For a film that's supposedly so terrible, filmmakers really love ripping it off. ::)

I've watched both AVP and Prometheus back to back and there's no question about it: Prometheus was a big rip off of AVP. It's like a beat for beat remake; the more I think about it the more similarities I find.

- The first time we see the Prometheus, we're tricked into believing it's a planet but as the camera moves it's revealed to be a ship. This is just like the satellite at the beginning of AVP: we think it's an alien queen but than the camera moves and we see it's a satellite.

-The characters are in the pyramid looking at ancient bodies that have been chest bursted. Infact the whole movie is just the characters trying to figure out what happened 1000s of years ago just like in AVP.

- a storm occurs which causes one character to save the life of another. Lex saves Weyland/David saves Shaw.

- I can not be the only one who thought Ford could pass for Miller's sister. The resemblance is just scary.

If Paul W.S Anderson is a hack what does that make the guy who steals from him? A super hack?

What does your post make you for not reading the rest of the thread which already disproved your theory? A moron?

Jigsaw85

Jigsaw85

Quote from: The1PerfectOrganism on Jan 27, 2014, 05:46:02 PM
Quote from: Jigsaw85 on Jan 27, 2014, 01:04:30 AM
At least Paul W.S Anderson wanted to do something as original as possible. I can't find many similiarties between AVP and the other alien films besides a few well placed subtle references. Even Predators seems to take a few Ideas from AVP: 3 predators, foot print detecting predator vision, hologram displayed by wrist computer, "The enemy of my enemy...", projectile wrist blades.

For a film that's supposedly so terrible, filmmakers really love ripping it off. ::)

I've watched both AVP and Prometheus back to back and there's no question about it: Prometheus was a big rip off of AVP. It's like a beat for beat remake; the more I think about it the more similarities I find.

- The first time we see the Prometheus, we're tricked into believing it's a planet but as the camera moves it's revealed to be a ship. This is just like the satellite at the beginning of AVP: we think it's an alien queen but than the camera moves and we see it's a satellite.

-The characters are in the pyramid looking at ancient bodies that have been chest bursted. Infact the whole movie is just the characters trying to figure out what happened 1000s of years ago just like in AVP.

- a storm occurs which causes one character to save the life of another. Lex saves Weyland/David saves Shaw.

- I can not be the only one who thought Ford could pass for Miller's sister. The resemblance is just scary.

If Paul W.S Anderson is a hack what does that make the guy who steals from him? A super hack?

What does your post make you for not reading the rest of the thread which already disproved your theory? A moron?

Nice attitude buddy. ::)

And no one disproved anything that's why the thread continues.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Quote from: Darth Vile on Oct 28, 2012, 10:21:18 AM
I think Prometheus was far more influenced by pulp science fiction of the 50's and the original Alien film/treatment than it was by AVP. As someone said before (was it SIL?) Prometheus uses a lot of sci-fi tropes just as Alien did... some good, some not so good. Should Ridley have watched AVP before making Prometheus? I don't think so. He had a vision of what he wanted the movie to be (which was obviously fairly fluid throughout pre production)... and most artists need/have a 'fu@k it' attitude to what's gone before (which is how it should be IMHO).

There are undeniable similarities, but those similarities are just as obvious/connected as the similarities between Alien and its subsequent sequels (excluding returning characters obviously).

Actually Jigsaw, the thread was answered ages ago.

Prometheus and Alien were both inspired by films, much much older than AVP, the fact there are similarities to AVP is merely a coincidence. Anyone who thinks otherwise has to be loony to think that Ridley's film was inspired by a bad crossover he had never seen. Go look at Spahits original script also, it was only when Lindelof was hired on that a few similarities appeared.
And also as stated Lindelof warned Ridley about the similarities.

The simple fact of the matter is that Ridley doesn't give a f**k about bad crossovers with bad "Xenomorph" designs.

Master

Master

And how does this change the fact both are extremely similar? Bad crossover or not, shame is on the later not the former.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Yet second is superior in every way, and as far as I'm concerned AVP 2004 never happened so there's nothing in the franchise to copy, so if you want to be butthurt that Prometheus is similar to AVP go ahead, but by the majority the latter is considered a better film.

This discussion is pointless and is only going in circles.

SM

SM

QuoteI am not a fan of linking them to human creation nor am i a fan of them being humanoid. For me, it takes away the very thing that made the Aliens Alien.

Jockeys being big bald albinos doesn't stop the Aliens being Alien at all.

JPredator

JPredator

The moment you make an 'ALien' humanoid, share DNA and credit it as the creator of the human race is the moment where the ALien engineers become relatable and less ALien.

What made the Space Jokey in ALien so alien is the fact that it didnt seem to make any sense as an organism. It was so utterly unrelatable in every sense and truly ALien.

Master

Master

Quote from: The1PerfectOrganism on Jan 29, 2014, 09:50:14 AM
Yet second is superior in every way, and as far as I'm concerned AVP 2004 never happened so there's nothing in the franchise to copy, so if you want to be butthurt that Prometheus is similar to AVP go ahead, but by the majority the latter is considered a better film.

By majority you mean by yourself? :D Seriously, Prometheus is pretty but it`s plot is chooped as f**k and rarely makes sanse. That dosen`t make it better film.

Quoteas far as I'm concerned AVP 2004 never happened so there's nothing in the franchise to copy, so if you want to be butthurt that Prometheus is similar to AVP go ahead

Wow, what an argument! Gosh you really proved your oppinion. You remind me hippie from Futurama.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Quote from: Master on Jan 29, 2014, 10:29:01 AM
Quote from: The1PerfectOrganism on Jan 29, 2014, 09:50:14 AM

By majority you mean by yourself? :D Seriously, Prometheus is pretty but it`s plot is chooped as f**k and rarely makes sanse. That dosen`t make it better film.

Quoteas far as I'm concerned AVP 2004 never happened so there's nothing in the franchise to copy, so if you want to be butthurt that Prometheus is similar to AVP go ahead

Wow, what an argument! Gosh you really proved your oppinion. You remind me hippie from Futurama.

Un No, only need to look at Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB to show you that AVP is considered garbage and Prometheus is above average.

And no again, it's clear I meant that although AVP and Prometheus have similarities it MEANS NOTHING because as already explained it was inspired by films from the 50's.

YOU can be butthurt that they are COINCIDENTALLY similar but again it means nothing.

And as for that other comment I made I personally consider AVP 2004 & it's sequel never to have happened, one Giger design rape is enough *Cough* A:R *Cough* by morons who don't understand why the design is so special (Biomechanics.)

SM

SM

Quote from: JPredator on Jan 29, 2014, 10:16:53 AM
The moment you make an 'ALien' humanoid, share DNA and credit it as the creator of the human race is the moment where the ALien engineers become relatable and less ALien.

What made the Space Jokey in ALien so alien is the fact that it didnt seem to make any sense as an organism. It was so utterly unrelatable in every sense and truly ALien.

It had one head (with two eyes and a mouth) and two arms (ending in five fingered hands) attached to a torso (maybe even legs).  Fairly humanoid.

Additionally it transmitted warning for others to stay away.  Fairly humane.

Blacklabel

who cares about details like that, SM...

PROMETHEUS WAS A f**kING BETRAYAL OF ALL THAT MADE THE ALIEN "ALIEN"! f**k!

Oh and the Xeno in the first film was "Kane's Son" so Giger's creation also had some human dna.....bla bla bla and even worse...
Spoiler
the alien was a man in a suit. f**k.
[close]

f**k

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

SM's right, it couldn't be more human if you trie if you remove one alien aspect ( The breathing apparatus ) it basically is.

Also really Prometheus got it pretty right, as Yoda would say "Only different in your mind."

ChrisPachi

It's more a question of degrees.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed