was AvP a rip off of Prometheus?

Started by bishoop, Oct 25, 2012, 10:36:10 PM

Author
was AvP a rip off of Prometheus? (Read 23,727 times)

Xenomorphine

Wonder what the source for that is... It's the first reference which clears this how-much-was-he-aware-about-it debacle up, once and for all.

Sounds like multiple people have told RS that the first of the AVP films is like some kind of personal insult and he refuses to watch it on principle. In this instance, much to his detriment... If he only had, we would have had a much different story, because of all the various existing similarities.

Nightmare Asylum

Or he just wouldn't have cared and made this film anyways.

ShadowPred

Quote from: bishoop on Jan 15, 2013, 09:22:05 PM
heh - check this comment from Damon Lindelof regarding AvP and Scott

"Peter vs. Charles: "[Ridley] wanted to use Weyland as a conduit in the story," explained Damon Lindelof, "and was not at all interested when I said, 'You know, Weyland was a character in one of the Alien vs. Predator movies.' He just sort of looked at me like I had just slapped him in the face. That was the beginning, middle, and end of all Alien vs. Predator references in our story process."

http://alienseries.wordpress.com/2012/10/31/peter-weyland/

Hilariously awesome to visualize.

SM

SM

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jan 16, 2013, 04:24:25 AM
http://image.spreadshirt.com/image-server/v1/compositions/20721901/views/1,width=280,height=280,appearanceId=187.png/george-takei-oh-myyy_design.png

Wonder what the source for that is... It's the first reference which clears this how-much-was-he-aware-about-it debacle up, once and for all.

Sounds like multiple people have told RS that the first of the AVP films is like some kind of personal insult and he refuses to watch it on principle. In this instance, much to his detriment... If he only had, we would have had a much different story, because of all the various existing similarities.

Source

As for AvP...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TQLRMIGA2I#

Salt The Fries

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jan 16, 2013, 04:24:25 AM
http://image.spreadshirt.com/image-server/v1/compositions/20721901/views/1,width=280,height=280,appearanceId=187.png/george-takei-oh-myyy_design.png

I'm pretty sure this is too much of a business to not have anyone around to point it out.

Deuterium

Deuterium

Is it safe to appear in this thread?  I am a bit worried Malakak is going to have his friends from Talos IV zap me with a heat ray.

Master

Master

Feel thesame man. Anyway, Its a major flop on sir Ridley`s  side. he haven`t done his homework before revisiting A/P universe and now his new film looks as copy os AvP.

JPredator

JPredator

I think there are way too many similarities for it to just be a coincidence. Films covering the same themes is one thing but lifting entire scenes and dialogue is another.

Three scenes that stood out for me when watching Prometheus the first time was:

1 - The team briefing on Prometheus. The similarities to AVP are amazing. I mean its pretty much the same scene.

2 - The part where Shaw asks the guy why hes bringing guns.

3 - The chest burster at the end.

These scenes are a little more then just Ridley ignoring AVP to do his own thing. They are identical to the point that it is downright plagerism.

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: JPredator on Jan 16, 2013, 01:58:51 PM
I think there are way too many similarities for it to just be a coincidence. Films covering the same themes is one thing but lifting entire scenes and dialogue is another.

Three scenes that stood out for me when watching Prometheus the first time was:

1 - The team briefing on Prometheus. The similarities to AVP are amazing. I mean its pretty much the same scene.

2 - The part where Shaw asks the guy why hes bringing guns.

3 - The chest burster at the end.

These scenes are a little more then just Ridley ignoring AVP to do his own thing. They are identical to the point that it is downright plagerism.

Hi JPredator,

Couple of observations...

Aliens had two scenes I would characterize as "briefings".  We had the scene with Ripley in front of the Company board, and then we had the scene with Ripley and Gorman briefing the marines before the Drop.  I do agree that the AvP and Prometheus briefing scene are very similar.  However, I do not feel that this scene was in any way lifted or "copied" from AvP.  Unfortunately, this ridiculous scene (IMHO) in Prometheus was a direct result of lazy writing, and functions a quick, unimaginative "info dump" directed to the audience.

Also, both Aliens 3 and Aliens 4 featured "chestbursters" in their very final scene(s).

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

He means the very ending. Both AvP and Prom end with a birth.

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Jan 16, 2013, 08:08:53 PM
He means the very ending. Both AvP and Prom end with a birth.

Hi Omega,

Understood.  But wouldn't "Aliens 3" also be considered to have an ending featuring a "birth"...even though it's death happened seconds later?

In any event...no argument here.  Just noting that similarities can be found in a few of the "official" Alien films, not just between Prometheus and AvP.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Alien3 ends with the MS DOS screen. The birth is not the last scene.

Not defending it as an argument mind you.

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Jan 16, 2013, 08:37:57 PM
Alien3 ends with the MS DOS screen. The birth is not the last scene.

Hmmm, forgot about that.  Yeah, come to think of it, there was a short scene showing the Fury 161 installation being shut-down.

SM

SM

Quoteand then we had the scene with Ripley and Gorman briefing the marines before the Drop.

Copied from the briefing scene in Alien, complete with griping staff.

Similarly the planning scene later in Aliens is the same as the scene planning to go into the airducts in Alien.

JPredator

JPredator

The briefing scene in Aliens is similar in one way, that it is a briefing scene. It is not similar in the same way the AVP and Prometheus ones are.

Also Alien 3's end scene is not a chestbusrter. the final shot if of the EEV and the last message of Ripley from the nostromo (i always wondered how on gods green earth the nostromo message ended up in the EEV from the Sulaco)

Similarities for AVP and Prometheus:

1 - Both briefing scenes have Weyland giving a speech
2 - Both briefing scenes involve a discovery that points back to the origins of man kind
3 - Both briefing scenes are given on the way to the location without the crew having any knowledge of the discovery
(NOTE: the briefing scene in Aliens is similar but the colonial marines were aware of why they were sent to LV426 - loss of contact)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed