[Exclusive/Spoilers] How Alien: Romulus Connects To The Prequels & The Original Alien

Started by Corporal Hicks, Mar 13, 2024, 12:32:43 PM

Author
[Exclusive/Spoilers] How Alien: Romulus Connects To The Prequels & The Original Alien (Read 9,278 times)

Corporal Hicks

While the official marketing of Alien: Romulus is expected to start winding up over the next month or so, things have been very quiet on the details front for Fede Alvarez’s upcoming Alien: Romulus. However, the last few days have seen quite a few details about Alien: Romulus unleashed on the internet from various insiders with knowledge of a recent test screening (you can check out a summary of that information here).

Beware huge spoilers! Please do not read further if you don’t want the connections spoilers. You have been warned! 

While it’s been public for a while thanks to the Perfect Organism Podcast’s previous teases about the film having connections to the prequel films, Mike’s Monsters has recently confirmed that neither David or the Covenant are featured in the film at all. So what is the connection?

Rather, Alien vs. Predator Galaxy can exclusively confirm that the black goo (or accelerant as it is known in the expanded universe) is making a return in the film. A Hyperdyne Systems 120-A/2 model android was able to discover and reverse engineer the genetic makeup of the black goo contained within the DNA of the Aliens that had been captive aboard the spacestation. Known in Alien: Romulus as the Prometheus Strain, the scientists had been experimenting with the black goo as a miracle cure for all diseases.

[Exclusive/Spoilers] How Alien: Romulus Connects To The Prequels & The Original Alien

Alien: Romulus will also feature another huge connection to the original Alien film in the way of the inclusion of the previously mentioned Hyperdyne Systems 120-A/2. Named Rook, this new synthetic character features the likeness and voice of the late Sir Ian Holm which Alien vs. Predator Galaxy understands is augmented by AI.

Keep your browsers locked on Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for the latest Alien: Romulus news! You can follow us on FacebookTwitter, Instagram and YouTube to get the latest on your social media walls. You can also join in with fellow Alien and Predator fans on our forums!

TheBATMAN

Wow that is huge. But if it looks good then it could be brilliant.

BigDaddyJohn

As long as it doesn't create stuff randomly anytime the story needs it, I can deal with it. I'm not a fan though.

Ian Holm ? That's one hell of a big nod to the fans. Still, they are androids, same model reappearing is not extravagant.  CGI will have to be top notch to fully pull it off.

Nightmare Asylum

Hmmm... I think I'm gonna skip reading this one. Might stop reading/listening to/watching stuff that isn't officially released in general now moving forward, to be honest. Mike's last video was with the Facehugger details is gonna be my cutoff there.

We're getting a bit too close to release now for me to want to start taking in details on the story...

xShadowFoxX

Pete LV426

This sounds like early April fools territory!

Stitch

Hmm. I genuinely am not sure how much I like this.

The black goo being experimented with, I can understand. But being used for medical purposes kinda brings it way closer to the comics and their Royal Jelly. Is there going to be any Xeno-Zip? And calling it the Prometheus Strain is a little too on the nose for me.

As for the likeness and AI voice of Ian Holm, I don't think I like it. I mean, hopefully it will be done in a respectful way, but it still feels kinda off. Couldn't they have got Martin Freeman as an alternative A/2? You could still use the same android model, and retain the out of universe continuity nod to fans.

All this new info feels just a little off-putting.

Slutty Badger

Thematically this makes sense, given that Hyperdyne based the 120-A2 on the David series' synaptic algorithms.

But the Ian Holm thing... uhh. Feels a bit sweaty.

Rankles75

No fan of the black goo MacGuffin, but I remain cautiously optimistic for this. I mean, we're due right?

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

Well obviously his family must have given their blessing so I am sure it will be handled as respectfully as possible.

What bothers me more is the company seemingly having the alien long enough to perform comprehensive experiments on them, yet it is pre-Aliens.

We know the Covenant is not in this now, so where are the eggs coming from?

I just hope this film doesnt undermine future rewatches of Aliens in any way. I want it to succeed so much but it would seem better placed as a post Alien 3 storyline.

In a weird sense this is looking similar to the Gibson storyline.

Spiderpope

I could really do without the ghoulish puppeting of the deceased in films.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Considering the earlier rumors of Phoebe Waller being looked at to play Rook(https://www.avpgalaxy.net/2022/12/30/rumor-phoebe-waller-bridge-to-play-alien-romulus-new-android/), I don't think this was always the plan. But I'm actually rather excited for it assuming they've embraced the changes that we saw amateurs do after the response to the efforts in Rogue One and Mandalorian and with Disney hiring the same amateurs.

I've always liked the idea of revisiting existing synth models and it was one of the things I liked about Covenant.

Quote from: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯 on Mar 13, 2024, 01:23:37 PMIsn't Rook from ACM?

That android name sounds very familiar...

There is a Rook in ACM, yeah. It was another Bishop model.

Slutty Badger

Slutty Badger

Quote from: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯 on Mar 13, 2024, 01:23:37 PMIsn't Rook from ACM?

That android name sounds very familiar...

There is also a Bishop model android named Rook in Rachel Caine's superb Bug Hunt story Broken. He was hijacked and reprogrammed by a terrorist group.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed