Yes, all the time
No, never ever
Sometimes, here and there
Author
Comic Book Readers (Read 908,139 times)

Aeus

Aeus

Finally. <3

Now waiting for the final Brubaker Omni.

alien5454

alien5454

I like yo read Spawn,Ultimate Spiderman,Aliens,Predator,Aliens vs Predator and Star Wars

Shasvre

Shasvre

Could someone help me out here? I want to start reading the Batman series, but I don't know where to begin. I took a look at Wikipedia and Amazon, but there seems to be no guide as to where to begin. If I understand it right, I should read the collected editions in this order:

Batman & Son

The Black Glove

Batman R.I.P

Battle for the Cowl

Long Shadows

Is that right? I'm would be thankfull for some guidance here. ;)

Oh, and I just ordered Hellspawn: The Ashley Wood Collection. I didn't even know this series existed until a couple of hours ago, but it looks and sounds awesome as hell. ;D

Aeus

Aeus

If you've never read Batman before I'd suggest:

Batman: The Man Who Falls
Batman: Year One
Batman: The Man Who Laughs
Batman: The Long Halloween
Batman: Dark Victory

The first two set in stone who Batman/Bruce Wayne is, and Year One is definitely worth a read if you prefer realism over romanticism. The latter tend to tread the line between the two but are all great reads.

However if you're trying to catch up on current continuity I suggest just diving straight into The Return of Bruce Wayne stuff. I should be fairly self explanatory.

First Blood

First Blood

"Let off some steam Bennet!"  :D

I'd also recommend:

Batman: Greatest Stories Ever Told Vol. 1 & 2 (assorted stories, of Batman adventures)

Batman: Scarecrow Tales (assorted Scarecrow stories)

Batman: Birth of the Demon (Ra's Al Ghul origin tale)

Batman: Tales of the Demon (assorted Ra's Al Ghul stories)

Aeus

Aeus

Yeah, definitely pick up the Ra's Al Ghul stuff. He's a great villain.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: Aeus on Mar 20, 2010, 02:52:37 AMIf you've never read Batman before I'd suggest:

The first two set in stone who Batman/Bruce Wayne is, and Year One is definitely worth a read if you prefer realism over romanticism. The latter tend to tread the line between the two but are all great reads.

However if you're trying to catch up on current continuity I suggest just diving straight into The Return of Bruce Wayne stuff. I should be fairly self explanatory.

Thanks. I have read The Long Halloween, Dark Victory and most of Year One. Right now I'm trying to catch up with the current timeline though.

According to Wikipedia The Return of Bruce Wayne hasn't begun yet. Is there anything I should read before that?

Quote from: First Blood on Mar 20, 2010, 02:54:58 AMI'd also recommend:

Batman: Greatest Stories Ever Told Vol. 1 & 2 (assorted stories, of Batman adventures)

Batman: Scarecrow Tales (assorted Scarecrow stories)

Batman: Birth of the Demon (Ra's Al Ghul origin tale)

Batman: Tales of the Demon (assorted Ra's Al Ghul stories)

Thanks. I might check out Birt of the Demon and Tales of the Demon. I really liked Ra's in Batman Begins and wouldn't mind learning a bit more about him.

Aeus

Aeus

Quote from: Shasvre on Mar 20, 2010, 03:05:15 AM
Thanks. I have read The Long Halloween, Dark Victory and most of Year One. Right now I'm trying to catch up with the current timeline though.

According to Wikipedia The Return of Bruce Wayne hasn't begun yet. Is there anything I should read before that?

Yeah it doesn't start for a couple of months, but I meant start reading it when it hits the shelves. As for reading something in between to play catchup? Well, IMO it could all be done via Wikipedia as it's all going to be fairly self explanatory and anything you read before hand will just be unnecessary backstory.

But if you really wanna read it then go for Batman and Son, Black Glove, R.I.P and then force yourself to read Final Crisis. If you read all those you should be set.  ;)

Huol

Huol

Finally.  :D

Aeus

Aeus

Doesn't Rebirth retcon Emerald Twilight?

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: Aeus on Mar 20, 2010, 03:20:35 AM
Yeah it doesn't start for a couple of months, but I meant start reading it when it hits the shelves. As for reading something in between to play catchup? Well, IMO it could all be done via Wikipedia as it's all going to be fairly self explanatory and anything you read before hand will just be unnecessary backstory.

But if you really wanna read it then go for Batman and Son, Black Glove, R.I.P and then force yourself to read Final Crisis. If you read all those you should be set.  ;)

Thank you for your help. I will get my hands on R.I.P. and see if I like it. :)

Huol

Huol

Quote from: Aeus on Mar 20, 2010, 03:28:47 AM
Doesn't Rebirth retcon Emerald Twilight?

Sort of.

Spoiler
Hal was infected by parallax which caused his kill crazy rampage. I still say Hal is faking it and is the smartest criminal mind in the DC universe  ;D
[close]

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Aeus on Mar 20, 2010, 02:52:37 AM
If you've never read Batman before I'd suggest:

Also get your hands on The Killing Joke. It's absolutely essential as it gives you the lowdown on the Joker, and what ultimately his relationship with Batman means.

Aeus

Aeus

Joker is also pretty good.

vikingspawn

vikingspawn

Quote from: Shasvre on Mar 19, 2010, 11:02:44 PM
Could someone help me out here? I want to start reading the Batman series, but I don't know where to begin. I took a look at Wikipedia and Amazon, but there seems to be no guide as to where to begin. If I understand it right, I should read the collected editions in this order:

Batman & Son

The Black Glove

Batman R.I.P

Battle for the Cowl

Long Shadows

Is that right? I'm would be thankfull for some guidance here.

I'd throw in the 7 issue "Resurrection of Ra's A Ghul" storyline too (after "Batman and Son" and before BatmanRIP).  And "Final Crisis" for its last 2 issues.  The side crossover tie-ins of Nightwing and Robin were pretty good too.   I'm trying to catch up on the "Batman Reborn" stuff myself. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed