Yes, all the time
No, never ever
Sometimes, here and there
Author
Comic Book Readers (Read 908,126 times)

coolbreeze

coolbreeze

Quote from: Magegg on Sep 15, 2013, 03:03:14 PM
No. I live in XXI century, not last decade of the past one  ::)

Don't be a prick.

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

If you folks aint reading Gail Simone's Red Sonja, right now.. you are missing out. :P

coolbreeze

coolbreeze

Quote from: Blacklabel on Sep 16, 2013, 02:39:06 AM
If you folks aint reading Gail Simone's Red Sonja, right now.. you are missing out. :P

Are they available digitally?  Need something to read at work.

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

Havent found any digital copies :P

But there's always scans up on piratebay if you want to go the Illegal route. :P

Wish my local shop had these comics. :P But alas.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Preacher: All Hell's-a-Coming

The penultimate volume has quite a lot of shit hitting the fan, and does an effective job of setting up the climax. I never thought I'd say this, but I pretty much despise Cassidy through and through now. I don't want to dislike him, but he's just... bad. I'm also feeling a bit sorry for Starr. Sure, the guy's a dick (maybe not now, lol), but he's just had so much shit happen to him. And as usual, Garth Ennis finds a way to make that disturbingly hilarious.

Spoiler
"My cock is in the bitch's mouth, and not in a good way."
[close]

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The only real downside for me is the one shot at the end. It just wasn't all that good. The whole Preacher Special thing was cool at first, but there were easily a few too many.

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

Sex Criminals #1

Holy f**k!

First issue was really good. :)

What it's about: A couple finds that once they have an orgasm.. .time stops around them. They decide to use this ability to rob banks! It's also a sweet exploration of growing up and exploring your own sexuality.. and how that relates to other dramas on your life. It's a fantasy-comedy-crime-drama... :)

So yep... So far.. highly recommended. :)

Get ready to find all about the dutch microwave!  :laugh:

Sabby

Sabby

What is this? Apparent awesomeness? I shall investigate.

OH MY, that concept art is similarly awesome. This comic seems quite promising.

Oh, my bad. Move along, no awesomeness to see here.

shadowedge

shadowedge

Is anyone else getting tired of DC's New 52. It is so depressing, its like there is no happiness or joy in the titles anymore. I mostly read the Batman family series of books and now there is an editorial mandate out that they cannot get married or have long lasting relationships because DC thinks it ages the characters. Heck Batman seems to only have like two emotions in the New 52, anger and grief. Batgirl constantly gets her but kicked by common thugs way beneath her level, Damian is dead, Tim has pretty much no relationship with Bruce, Dick is usually OK but he can't catch a break either. Plus my two favorite characters Stephanie Brown and Cassandra Cain no longer exist.

Even with Superman and Wonder Woman things aren't great. Aside from them dating which we all know will not last, there is little joy in the titles. Plus Wonder Woman's entire origin got really messed up with the Amazons being man killers, rapists, and with Diana now being Zeus's daughter. Way to destroy a feminist icon DC...:(

I know DC is trying to get on the Dark Knight Trilogy's bandwagon with all of this grim and dark stuff but I seem to remember plenty of light moments in the Nolan trilogy too. It can't be dark all the time.

Now the Blue Lanterns are dead, so are they not so subtly trying to say that hope is now dead in the DCU?

Magegg

Magegg

Quote from: shadowedge on Oct 05, 2013, 09:01:36 PMIs anyone else getting tired of DC's New 52. It is so depressing, its like there is no happiness or joy in the titles anymore.

It's dumb, joyless and formulaic. I hate how stupid their publications have become, it's basically a cover with an "spectacular" sign saying "XXXX The enemy/A caracter/ Whatever!"

a short and ridiculous set-up with no much explanation.

A couple action scenes with a splash page.

and finally a so-called page with a "cliffhanger" scene.

I enjoyed much the "52" miniseries, things were way more interesting and cerebral at that period :D

New 52 managed to flash me for like 4 or 5 months, then I realized how the comics didn't go anywhere.

They're going now by the completely stiff format of "a supervillain appears, a little look at the hero's alter ego life, then there's a fight, a cliffhanger when we think the hero's gonna die, then it wins in the end", all wrapped up in 4 issues, then rinse and repeat.

Seems like they're selling the art more than anything else, since the stories are completely worthless. It's like the '90s all again.

Brainless, senseess, forced, inconsequential action, is what comes to my mind when I remember The New 52 standard comic book.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Anyone have any recommendations for any S.H.I.E.L.D. or Nick Fury based books? I don't really care what era the stories are from or when they take place (could be early days of S.H.I.E.L.D., modern day, whatever).

Also, the current Hawkeye run is supposed to be really good, right?

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

I hear Fury MAX is good. He also shows up a bit in Punisher MAX.

Xenokiller

Xenokiller

Ok been catching up on some things so here's a wave of reviews

BATGIRL Volumes 1-2 New 52
-the series is now on my list/radar. They capture Babs perfectly and her struggle to overcome her disability, her relationship with Nightwing/her dad/ and her mom are all great and it's setting up for the storyline involving her psychotic brother perfectly! It's a great read and now it will be a monthly buy. 9/10

GREEN LANTERN CORPS volume 1 New 52
-Brilliant, everything you'd expect from guy and John, beautifully done issue where John must face his shame head on, very emotional
8.5/10

GREEN LANTERN NEW GUARDIANS Volume 1 New 52
- not outstanding but most certainly unique and different, lyles never been my favorite GL but that certainly doesn't mean he's bad 8/10

RED LANTERNS volume 1-2 New 52
-Pretty decent, they aren't heroes but you feel for the lanterns and you understand why they are pissed off, doesn't mean you like it though
7/10

ANIMAL MAN volume 1-2 New 52
-I LOVE animal man! There's no ifs ands or buts! He is fantastic! The story fits right in with swamp thing and is so deliciously disturbing and unique! Animal man is a superhero I've heard many dismiss as useless but he IS NOT! Must read! 9.5/10

SWAMP THING volume 1-2 New 52
-Volume 1 was surprisingly Swamp thing-less for the most part but it is a great freaking read! I need volume 3! Rot world is going to be great(and I've heard it is) the character is great and so is the storyline, pick it up! 9.5/10

GREEN ARROW Volumes 1-2 New 52
-ok volume 1 was pretty good...volume 2...eh not really. I didn't like the story and the it really bored me...that's about it
Volume 1-7.5/10 Volume 2-5/10

GREEN LANTERN volume 1-2 new 52
-pretty good. Hal Jordan is the jerkish/irresponsible yet still caring hero he always was and Sinestro is still a douche so when you bring them together to work...it actually works. The action is great and the volume 2 story especially was great in expanding the green lantern mythos Geoff johns was famous for! Setting up for rise if the third army and concluding war of the green lanterns these volumes Are everything a GL fan could ask for
8.5/10

Suicide Squad volume 1 New 52
-the pros? Harley Quinn with little clothing, deadshot being bad@$$, and funny king shark moments. The cons? Everything else, villains shouldn't be this boring
5.5/10

BLUE BEETLE volumes 1-2 New 52
-it took a little to get into but once I did it was worth it. It was surprisingly engaging and funny. Some problems with inconclusive story arcs(one issue had 2 overlapping arcs that had nothing to do with each other, one ended prematurely and just kinda faded into the other one which did nothing more than to add to the New Guardians arc) but besides that
7.5/10

I'll post some more later, I've been busy XD

First Blood

First Blood

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Oct 06, 2013, 04:18:23 PM
Anyone have any recommendations for any S.H.I.E.L.D. or Nick Fury based books? I don't really care what era the stories are from or when they take place (could be early days of S.H.I.E.L.D., modern day, whatever).

Secret Warriors.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: KiramidHead on Oct 06, 2013, 04:34:12 PM
Quote from: First Blood on Oct 06, 2013, 11:31:58 PM

Secret Warriors.

Thanks for the recommendations. Will try to check 'em out soon.

Magegg

Magegg

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Oct 06, 2013, 11:52:01 PM
Quote from: KiramidHead on Oct 06, 2013, 04:34:12 PM
Quote from: First Blood on Oct 06, 2013, 11:31:58 PM

Secret Warriors.

Thanks for the recommendations. Will try to check 'em out soon.
Er... I guess NA was trolling T____T

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed