A:CM plot surprisingly close to Aliens Colonial Marines Technical Manual (1997)

Started by gold, Sep 16, 2016, 10:15:32 PM

Author
A:CM plot surprisingly close to Aliens Colonial Marines Technical Manual (1997) (Read 31,651 times)

gold

Quote from: The Old One on Aug 15, 2018, 10:49:34 AM
ACM is terrible, there's not a redeeming thing about it.
It's a cheap, barely functional, badly written and performed cashgrab.

It's in competition with Requiem for the worst thing to be officially licensed for this franchise.

That's way too harsh if you ask me. Requiem and ACM are worlds apart. ACM actually got something of a cult status amongs fans the past 3-4 years.

The Old One

The Old One

Cult status for being awful and inept, not due to having anything of value.

gold

Quote from: The Old One on Aug 15, 2018, 11:46:45 AM
Cult status for being awful and inept, not due to having anything of value.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that :)

Samhain13

Quote from: gold on Aug 15, 2018, 11:40:09 AM
ACM actually got something of a cult status amongs fans the past 3-4 years.

There are still some people that like playing it online. The guys at the A:CM Bug Hunt Steam group have game sessions religiously every saturday since it's release, the admin have over 2000 hours of gameplay.

So I would say the multiplayer might have a cult status for some people.

426Buddy

The Old One

The Old One

As Samhain said, yes- on the multiplayer front because out of desperation people want to salvage something from it.
Credit to TemplarGFX for trying but ACM's legacy is one of failure on every level,
including the production being disingenuous.
There was never any intention on Randy Pitchford's part and subsequently Gearbox to make a quality product.

426Buddy

Woops i meant the single player.

SM

'Cult status' in the same way The Room has 'cult status'.

The Old One

The Old One

At least Tommy Wiseau had genuine passion for his project.

JokersWarPig

In retrospect I think if ACM had multiplayer only, or heavily focused on multiplayer, it would have been received better. The thing about that though is if they had done that we'd be bashing them for not including a campaign.

gold

Quote from: SM on Aug 15, 2018, 08:40:52 PM
'Cult status' in the same way The Room has 'cult status'.

You just can't get over the fact that some people like A:CM can you?

Why is that? Like this unhealthy hatred that always rears it's head as soon as someone says something they like about it. It's like you're afraid of it or something.

SM

*cough*

Quote from: SM on Sep 17, 2016, 10:23:01 PM
Writing in video games is generally neither here nor there for me, and while I don't dispute it's always fun shooting Aliens, this was quite possibly the worst written video game I've ever played.

(Also, as an aside, CMTM was published in 1995)

Huggs

Quote from: gold on Aug 16, 2018, 01:10:38 AM
You just can't get over the fact that some people like A:CM can you?

Why is that? Like this unhealthy hatred that always rears it's head as soon as someone says something they like about it. It's like you're afraid of it or something.

I don't know about him, but it scares me to death, and not in a good way.

Xenomrph

Quote from: The Old One on Aug 15, 2018, 10:49:34 AM
ACM is terrible, there's not a redeeming thing about it.
It's a cheap, barely functional, badly written and performed cashgrab.

It's in competition with Requiem for the worst thing to be officially licensed for this franchise.

Hoo boy are there officially licensed things that are "worse" than Requiem.
I mean, this is a franchise that's gotten officially licensed chidren's wristwatches. The rabbit-hole is real, real deep if you go digging.

As for no redeeming qualities, there are certain things I thought were genuinely executed well. I liked the visual design of the levels, I felt the aesthetics fit in well with 'Aliens'. I also liked the weapon selection - they felt like logical extensions of the guns from 'Aliens', and the "corporate" guns were distinct from the "USCM" guns both in form and function. Also pretty much every weapon and attachment was useful in some capacity, as opposed to most Aliens/AvP games where the Pulse Rifle is the best gun in the game. At least A:CM had moments where it was genuinely in your best interest to put the pulse rifle away and break out one of the other guns, rather than switching weapons only when you ran out of PR ammo. :P

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed