A:CM plot surprisingly close to Aliens Colonial Marines Technical Manual (1997)

Started by gold, Sep 16, 2016, 10:15:32 PM

Author
A:CM plot surprisingly close to Aliens Colonial Marines Technical Manual (1997) (Read 31,365 times)

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Shouldn't the Legato be the USCSS Legato, not the USS Legato?  I always assumed that USS was only for ships used by the government (and, by extension, the military).

Is that a Mikey Neumann original?

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 20, 2016, 01:34:45 AM
Quote from: SM on Sep 20, 2016, 01:18:38 AM
Not much point in trying to make it fit.  Unless one wants to make it more fun by factoring in CMTM, and the arcade games Aliens Extermination and Alien3 - The Gun.  And Earth War comics.

Who would do such a thing?
Yo.

Local Trouble

You can make the arcade games fit too?

Xenomrph

Alien3: The Gun can fit about as well as the Fury 161 level in AvPClassic, and I'd have to re-watch Extermination gameplay to know for sure, but I imagine you could get that to fit in similar ways as A:CM (or even say it's taking place concurrently, if you want).

PsyKore

My memory might be hazy, but I don't remember ACM explaining why the Sulaco went back to LV426 at all. The game has a few crucial questions raised but it tends to "jazz hand" over them.

Xenomrph

Quote from: PsyKore on Sep 25, 2016, 11:36:46 AM
My memory might be hazy, but I don't remember ACM explaining why the Sulaco went back to LV426 at all. The game has a few crucial questions raised but it tends to "jazz hand" over them.
if I remember right, 'Stasis Interrupted' covered that.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 25, 2016, 02:53:56 AM
Alien3: The Gun can fit about as well as the Fury 161 level in AvPClassic, and I'd have to re-watch Extermination gameplay to know for sure, but I imagine you could get that to fit in similar ways as A:CM (or even say it's taking place concurrently, if you want).

What about the SNES version of Alien 3 that has a fully-armed Ripley fighting against hundreds of aliens on Fury 161?  Can you make that fit too?

SM

SM

I don't think it was covered.  Hicks and Stone leave the Sulaco and head to Fiorina after the Legato is destroyed.  Reid comments in the main game that it makes no sense for the Sulaco to be at LV-426, and Cruz agrees.  I don't recall this ever being addressed.

Maybe after it had a hole blown in it near Phobos, it spiralled at faster than the speed of light back to LV-426...

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 25, 2016, 08:35:30 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 25, 2016, 02:53:56 AM

What about the SNES version of Alien 3 that has a fully-armed Ripley fighting against hundreds of aliens on Fury 161?  Can you make that fit too?
In a roundabout way you could probably turn it (and the Sega Genesis game) into an in-universe propaganda/simulation sort of thing, I guess.

Quote from: SM on Sep 26, 2016, 12:44:14 AM

I don't think it was covered.  Hicks and Stone leave the Sulaco and head to Fiorina after the Legato is destroyed.  Reid comments in the main game that it makes no sense for the Sulaco to be at LV-426, and Cruz agrees.  I don't recall this ever being addressed.

Maybe after it had a hole blown in it near Phobos, it spiralled at faster than the speed of light back to LV-426...
I got the impression from Stasis Interrupted that after the Legato docked with the Sulaco, the W-Y mercs piloted the Sulaco back to LV-426 (for reasons unknown), and at some point during all of this the Legato's Aliens ran rampant on the Sulaco, the WY mercs hunkered down, and then the events of the game took place.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 26, 2016, 06:06:45 AMWhat about the SNES version of Alien 3 that has a fully-armed Ripley fighting against hundreds of aliens on Fury 161?  Can you make that fit too?

So you're not going to argue that the events depicted in the SNES and Genesis video games actually occurred in-universe?

Xenomrph

There's ways you could, but I don't think it's necessary. :)

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 29, 2016, 04:24:43 AMThere's ways you could,

That would be fascinating.  :)

Xenomrph

Off the top of my head, maybe Morse talks about one of his recurring nightmares in his book 'Star Beast', wherein there's dozens of Aliens and Ripley has a gun and blasts them, and two competing indie game developers decide to make similar "retro" renditions of 'Star Beast: Morse's Nightmare'.

So the events of the SNES and Genesis games "occurred"... in Morse's head, in the form of a nightmare/PTSD recollection of 'Alien3'.

Local Trouble

I like that explanation much more than "fuzzy continuity" or some quantum physical mumbo-jumbo.  Nice job. :)

Xenomrph

To each their own I guess. :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed