Jurassic Park Series

Started by War Wager, Mar 25, 2007, 10:10:16 PM

Author
Jurassic Park Series (Read 1,357,010 times)

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: DoomRulz on Mar 21, 2013, 09:05:57 AM
Left side of my brain doesn't see that, LOL.
It will learn to.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Yeah, I personally never had a problem thinking of them as mutants, given the method through which they were created.

Vertigo

Vertigo

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 21, 2013, 11:14:14 AM
Yeah, I personally never had a problem thinking of them as mutants, given the method through which they were created.

Kind of defeats the point, as the whole raison d'etre of Jurassic Park is that it's the first film ever to present dinosaurs as real and believable animals, rather than monsters.

I think we discussed the feather issue a few dozen pages back, but none of the existing JP dinosaurs actually must have feathers to be scientifically accurate. Skin impressions of Tyrannosaurus and Compsognathus are featherless (and the latter was found in deposits which preserved feathers spectacularly in Archaeopteryx), and Dilophosaurus, Gallimimus and Utahraptor/Achillobator may have been large enough not to require insulation (and the former may be from the wrong evolutionary line in any case). No sauropod or ornithischian is confirmed to have feathers (though some ceratopsians seem to have had a strange set of long bristles covering their tails).

Personally though, if they introduce any new species in the next film which are the right size and from the right group to have feathers, I'd prefer they be feathered. JP should be about portraying dinosaurs, if you want to see mutants then watch Prometheus.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

You also have to take into account the hand position in the theropods. Completely agreed otherwise -- though I have never seen the actual report of the Tyrannosaurus skin impressions! It is a very interesting subject and I would like to read on it.

Regarding the dinosaur portrayal thing, well, I think I was one of the guys discussing it aeons ago -- but there are some pretty speculative things. The Dilophosaurus frill being one.

And I'll take any 80s trash movie about mutants over Prometheus any day of the week. Blah!

By the way, the paleontological injections in this thread with you are always fun.

Rick Grimes

Rick Grimes

Requiem, where'd you get that awesome JP4 logo?

Vertigo

Vertigo

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Mar 21, 2013, 12:55:53 PM
You also have to take into account the hand position in the theropods. Completely agreed otherwise -- though I have never seen the actual report of the Tyrannosaurus skin impressions! It is a very interesting subject and I would like to read on it.

By the way, the paleontological injections in this thread with you are always fun.

Yup, good point on the hand positions, though they may have kept that physiology even if it no longer became necessary for anchoring feathers. Another point about the larger coelurosaurs is that they may have been too heavy to sit on top of their eggs, so as well as not requiring feathers for insulation, they also wouldn't need the long arm feathers for covering a nest during incubation. There's a bit of research to suggest the arm feathers may have helped keep them steady when standing on struggling prey, but that is somewhat tenuous right now.

I think I read about Tyrannosaurus skin impressions in Gregory Paul's book, but there's a reference on Wikipedia: 'skin impressions from a Tyrannosaurus rex specimen nicknamed "Wyrex" (BHI 6230) discovered in Montana in 2002, as well as other large tyrannosaurid specimens, show mosaic scales.'
There's always the possibility that other, unpreserved parts of the body may have been feathered, but for an animal of Tyrannosaurus' size (and the climate it inhabited) I think they'd strictly be for display.

And loving the discussions here, too. :)

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Very very interesting. Completely agree there on the points you make.

Gregory Paul rocks. So totally have to get his book.

Alien³

Alien³

In light of JPIV I made a video called 'The 10 Rules of Jurassic Park' I hope ya'll like it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gjnMnytNiw#ws

(some audio skips because my editing software was being stupid.)

Vertigo

Vertigo

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Mar 21, 2013, 03:17:15 PM
Gregory Paul rocks. So totally have to get his book.

I think you'd love it, I'm just finishing it at the moment. Goes into a vast amount of detail, and provides opposing arguments for most issues (though it's always very clear which side he comes down on), and doesn't tend to jump to ridiculous assumptions. It's very much written for adults coming into it from a knowledgable perspective, and heavy on academic terminology, but unlike The Dinosauria it's digestible by mere mortals.

Most of the book comprises a list of every known dinosaur species, each one with information on how much fossil evidence there is, where's it's from, when (precisely), estimated weight and dimensions, what its habitat was like, and most of the well-known examples have skeletal depictions so it's very easy to see the exact differentiation between species.

Does get a bit dispiriting though when you come to Troodon, for example, and find it's labelled as Saurornithoides. Paul does love his controversial taxonomy. The one flaw I'd point out with the book is that most of the miscellaneous species notes are concerned with taxonomy rather than information on the actual animal.

Requiem28

Requiem28

Quote from: Rick Grimes on Mar 21, 2013, 01:53:10 PM

Internet.

Rick Grimes

Rick Grimes

Quote from: Requiem28 on Mar 21, 2013, 04:18:30 PM

Internet.

Do you have a larger image?

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Vertigo on Mar 21, 2013, 12:02:30 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 21, 2013, 11:14:14 AM

Kind of defeats the point, as the whole raison d'etre of Jurassic Park is that it's the first film ever to present dinosaurs as real and believable animals, rather than monsters.

I think we discussed the feather issue a few dozen pages back, but none of the existing JP dinosaurs actually must have feathers to be scientifically accurate. Skin impressions of Tyrannosaurus and Compsognathus are featherless (and the latter was found in deposits which preserved feathers spectacularly in Archaeopteryx), and Dilophosaurus, Gallimimus and Utahraptor/Achillobator may have been large enough not to require insulation (and the former may be from the wrong evolutionary line in any case). No sauropod or ornithischian is confirmed to have feathers (though some ceratopsians seem to have had a strange set of long bristles covering their tails).

Personally though, if they introduce any new species in the next film which are the right size and from the right group to have feathers, I'd prefer they be feathered. JP should be about portraying dinosaurs, if you want to see mutants then watch Prometheus.

Baby theropods are said to have had downy feathers covering their body to maintain body heat at a young age. Larger theropods like T.Rex probably didn't have feathers but I don't know of any study that said otherwise. I think right now at least, the consensus is that the only theropods that for sure had feathers in their entire life time were dromaeosaurids.

As for ceratopsians, this will blow you away if you didn't already know it. Check out #1 on the list. Yeah.

Quote from: Alien³ on Mar 21, 2013, 03:20:59 PM
In light of JPIV I made a video called 'The 10 Rules of Jurassic Park' I hope ya'll like it...

Great video dude!!! But you forgot rule #0: DON'T KILL THE T.REX

Also, on a side note, 3:52 made me laugh; the look on the Bull's face :D :D :D

Requiem28

Requiem28

Quote from: Rick Grimes on Mar 21, 2013, 05:44:42 PM
Quote from: Requiem28 on Mar 21, 2013, 04:18:30 PM

Internet.

Do you have a larger image?

I just took it from this and played around with Paint after words...

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Not to risk sounding stupid, but that's just fan created, right? There's no official promo material yet?

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: DoomRulz on Mar 21, 2013, 06:20:57 PM
Quote from: Alien³ on Mar 21, 2013, 03:20:59 PM

Great video dude!!! But you forgot rule #0: DON'T KILL THE T.REX

Also, on a side note, 3:52 made me laugh; the look on the Bull's face :D :D :D

Thanks man!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed