Halo

Started by Corporal Hicks, Dec 10, 2006, 12:19:56 PM

Author
Halo (Read 760,301 times)

TJ Doc

TJ Doc

So I spent my New Year's Eve tackling H4 on Legendary (MAN I'M CLASSY), and after 2.5 levels, SpaceMarines' 'contact lens malfunction' analogy has well and truly set in. I'm really not sure I have the same patience for this type of trial-and-error challenge I may once have gained some masochistic satisfaction from.

Almost feels like I'm... getting too old for this shit.

Damn it. :(

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Quote from: Dovahkiin on Jan 01, 2013, 12:55:15 AM
Quote from: Crazy Rich on Dec 31, 2012, 10:52:02 AM
Hey guys.

I'm not sure why but I have had very little desire to get into the multiplayer, in other words I haven't started at all.

At this moment I also have no intention of doing legendary. A voice is telling me "Richard, you've done this like 4 times already, what is there to gain from this?".

I have been all lovey eyes and crazy for Black Ops 2 lately.

Not that I'm saying one is better than the other, I usually like giving praise to both franchises, this is just how I'm feeling.

I've been playing both, and while I do enjoy Black Ops II, I find Halo 4 to be a vastly superior game. The campaign is epic, and the multiplayer actually requires skill. It usually takes multiple shots to kill your enemies, and you must be accurate, precise and quick-thinking to get a high Kill-Death ratio. In Black Ops II, it's usually- "Whoever can run the fastest and shoot their enemies in the back." Or "DROPSHOT FTW". It usually only takes me an hour or two of BO2 multiplayer to say- "Alright, screw this." And switch to Halo 4.

Black Ops 2 isn't always like that. I've played both franchises since CoD: Finest Hour and Halo #1. Both have their fair share of awesome and both have their fair share of dumb (heck I only played MW3 multiplayer about 2 times).

Vepariga

Vepariga

Just sat down to play some Halo 4 campaign and got to the first part when you come out of cryo sleep and controller turns off.

batterys flat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07So_lJQyqw#ws

In the charger now. :-\

Dovahkiin

Dovahkiin

Quote from: Crazy Rich on Jan 01, 2013, 01:29:50 AM
Quote from: Dovahkiin on Jan 01, 2013, 12:55:15 AM
Quote from: Crazy Rich on Dec 31, 2012, 10:52:02 AM
Hey guys.

I'm not sure why but I have had very little desire to get into the multiplayer, in other words I haven't started at all.

At this moment I also have no intention of doing legendary. A voice is telling me "Richard, you've done this like 4 times already, what is there to gain from this?".

I have been all lovey eyes and crazy for Black Ops 2 lately.

Not that I'm saying one is better than the other, I usually like giving praise to both franchises, this is just how I'm feeling.

I've been playing both, and while I do enjoy Black Ops II, I find Halo 4 to be a vastly superior game. The campaign is epic, and the multiplayer actually requires skill. It usually takes multiple shots to kill your enemies, and you must be accurate, precise and quick-thinking to get a high Kill-Death ratio. In Black Ops II, it's usually- "Whoever can run the fastest and shoot their enemies in the back." Or "DROPSHOT FTW". It usually only takes me an hour or two of BO2 multiplayer to say- "Alright, screw this." And switch to Halo 4.

Black Ops 2 isn't always like that. I've played both franchises since CoD: Finest Hour and Halo #1. Both have their fair share of awesome and both have their fair share of dumb (heck I only played MW3 multiplayer about 2 times).

Well sure, it's not always like that, but I've been killed from behind on BO2 about 75% of the time, and about 60% of my front-end deaths have been to dropshots. On Halo, such cheapness cannot exist. You can't go prone in Halo, and if you're shot from behind, you have a decent chance to turn around and kill the enemy. (Vehicles in Halo 4 however, do supply some cheapness, but this is halfway nullified by the ability to hijack or plant a grenade.)

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Well... what if we played outdoor paintball, and I snuck behind, shot you from behind, then you're out? That's just way some games are.

Dovahkiin

Dovahkiin

I'm not saying that's against the rules of BO2, I'm just saying that BO2 requires a lot less skill than Halo 4.

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Riiight.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Oh no... Not another Halo vs COD debate...

/ducks and covers

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

I like both franchises but it also takes nerve to say Black Ops requires a lot less skill just because someone has the brains to use tactics that work. If I wanted to I could say Halo requires a lot less skill because everyone has shields in it for crying out loud, but I won't because I respect the franchise.

Dovahkiin

Dovahkiin

Quote from: Crazy Rich on Jan 01, 2013, 06:47:23 AM
I like both franchises but it also takes nerve to say Black Ops requires a lot less skill just because someone has the brains to use tactics that work. If I wanted to I could say Halo requires a lot less skill because everyone has shields in it for crying out loud, but I won't because I respect the franchise.

Never said I disrespect Call of Duty. But shooting somebody in the back isn't exactly a tactic. It's just shooting someone...in the back. the shields on Halo are often what determines who wins in an engagement. For example, two players fight, one with a DMR, the other, an assault rifle. they both unload into one another, missing some shots and emptying their mags, depleting each other's shields. the DMR player decides to reload while the assault rifle player decides to try to melee. The DMR player manages to avoid the assault rifle player and ends him with a well-placed shot. In call of duty, you just shoot them without really thinking. Now, Im not saying that COD isnt a good game. Quite the opposite, really. I do enjoy it. But We obviously have differentiating opinions here, dude, so lets just end it here. Not looking for any conflict.

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

I don't want to add to the flames, but it's a clear and present fact that in any direct combat scenario, Halo requires both weapon choice, maneuverability, and [as of Reach] utilization of armor ability, as opposed to Call of Duty's aim and shoot-- anything else is just having the drop on somebody.

Shield's just add another layer to the combat strategy because depending on the range and fighting space, some weapons will be better than others, and sometimes having tools like the Plasma Pistol can change an experience completely and catch the opponent off guard; this can last a surprisingly long time per encounter whereas the average CoD encounter is 3 seconds as per kill cam.

This isn't me talking shit about Call of Duty-- hell, I played Black Ops 2 at a friend's place this weekend and I think it's the best one since MW2; I bought it last Wednesday, and I'm about to start it for myself tonight for the first time. It's a spectacular game, but comparing it to Halo in terms of gameplay assessment (or anything else for that matter) is and always has been ridiculous.

~Est. 2007~

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Agreed. Halo requires more critical thinking...although I do the same in both games...which is just act as a weapon of destruction because no one ever, for some reason, expects to get flanked.

Dovahkiin

Dovahkiin

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Jan 01, 2013, 07:26:16 AM
I don't want to add to the flames, but it's a clear and present fact that in any direct combat scenario, Halo requires both weapon choice, maneuverability, and [as of Reach] utilization of armor ability, as opposed to Call of Duty's aim and shoot-- anything else is just having the drop on somebody.

Shield's just add another layer to the combat strategy because depending on the range and fighting space, some weapons will be better than others, and sometimes having tools like the Plasma Pistol can change an experience completely and catch the opponent off guard; this can last a surprisingly long time per encounter whereas the average CoD encounter is 3 seconds as per kill cam.

This isn't me talking shit about Call of Duty-- hell, I played Black Ops 2 at a friend's place this weekend and I think it's the best one since MW2; I bought it last Wednesday, and I'm about to start it for myself tonight for the first time. It's a spectacular game, but comparing it to Halo in terms of gameplay assessment (or anything else for that matter) is and always has been ridiculous.

~Est. 2007~

Quote from: ShadowPred on Jan 01, 2013, 07:30:31 AM
Agreed. Halo requires more critical thinking...although I do the same in both games...which is just act as a weapon of destruction because no one ever, for some reason, expects to get flanked.

Eeeyup.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

UNF dat flanking. I swear, it's so f**king satisfying when you get the jump on so many bastards.

Dovahkiin

Dovahkiin

Killed three dudes at once in a match I had a few days ago. None of them suspected a thing.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed