Egg on Sulaco

Started by Darkness, Nov 01, 2006, 08:21:10 AM

Author
Egg on Sulaco (Read 779,857 times)

Scorpio

Scorpio

What does the writer of Alien 3 have to say about all this?

Quote from: SiL on Aug 08, 2017, 09:02:07 PM
Quote from: Scorpio on Aug 08, 2017, 12:12:24 PM
^We'll get back to that rabbit hole in due time.
Bishop's intent is irrelevant if he can't physically do what you're saying.

Why are you doing this? You've got nothing to back you up but you're desperately grasping at this straw. Why?

Is it so much of a stretch that if he was able to fly the dropship into the Atmosphere Processor (the place is big enough for the dropship to fly into, but not land in? wtf?), that he was able to land somewhere down below, or even have it hover above ground, while he exited and went the same way as the marines did before, found an unopened egg, then carried it back to the dropship in time to meet Ripley?  Why is this grasping at straws?   Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Furthermore, if you want to get retroactive, Alien Covenant established that androids can and do sneak aliens aboard spaceships.

BISHOP
The company knows everything that happened on the ship.  It all
goes into the computer and gets sent back to the network.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Scorpio on Aug 09, 2017, 06:49:05 AM
Which one?

QuoteIs it so much of a stretch that if he was able to fly the dropship into the Atmosphere Processor (the place is big enough for the dropship to fly into, but not land in? wtf?), that he was able to land somewhere down below, or even have it hover above ground, while he exited and went the same way as the marines did before, found an unopened egg, then carried it back to the dropship in time to meet Ripley?  Why is this grasping at straws?   Seems perfectly reasonable to me.
Because you aren't able to explain any of that. I asked before how Bishop was able to remote pilot the ship, carry an egg, and get back on a hovering Dropship and your answer amounted to "lol android" ::)

And you have never even tried to explain why Bishop would go back when he has Hicks to use as a host. It makes no sense.

Scorpio

Scorpio

Quote from: SiL on Aug 09, 2017, 07:25:03 AM
Quote from: Scorpio on Aug 09, 2017, 06:49:05 AM
Which one?

David Giler/Walter Hill, whoever wrote the final draft.

QuoteIs it so much of a stretch that if he was able to fly the dropship into the Atmosphere Processor (the place is big enough for the dropship to fly into, but not land in? wtf?), that he was able to land somewhere down below, or even have it hover above ground, while he exited and went the same way as the marines did before, found an unopened egg, then carried it back to the dropship in time to meet Ripley?  Why is this grasping at straws?   Seems perfectly reasonable to me.
Because you aren't able to explain any of that. I asked before how Bishop was able to remote pilot the ship, carry an egg, and get back on a hovering Dropship and your answer amounted to "lol android" ::)

You're mistaking me for another poster.

QuoteAnd you have never even tried to explain why Bishop would go back when he has Hicks to use as a host. It makes no sense.

It makes no sense to you.  There are potentially many reasons why he went back for Ripley.  For one thing, Ripley is more valuable to The Company given her experience dealing with xenomorphs, while Hicks is just a grunt.  Why did they ask Ripley to go back to LV-426?  She must have some value to them.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Scorpio on Aug 09, 2017, 08:18:42 AM
David Giler/Walter Hill, whoever wrote the final draft.
Hill, Giler, Fasano. It's a moot point, the script doesn't mention an egg and the scene breakdown for that sequence specified two eggs.

QuoteYou're mistaking me for another poster.
My mistake, but you just suggested the same thing that had been shot down a page or two back.

QuoteIt makes no sense to you.
It makes no sense.

QuoteFor one thing, Ripley is more valuable to The Company given her experience dealing with xenomorphs, while Hicks is just a grunt.
Hicks would be more valuable as he could describe the Alien in military terms and assess its threat level for their bio-weapons division; Ripley was just a civilian. The only thing she knew that Hicks didn't was the Nostromo incident and they had that information on file.

As for Ripley's value, you're not even consistent in your own post: if she's valuable enough for Bishop to risk his covert mission to pick her up from the atmosphere processor, why send her into possible danger in the first place?

You're also forgetting that while Bishop was made by the Company, he wasn't owned or sent by them. The Sulaco didn't broadcast to the Company specifically, they broadcast to the network.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SiL on Aug 09, 2017, 09:21:25 AMHill, Giler, Fasano. It's a moot point, the script doesn't mention an egg and the scene breakdown for that sequence specified two eggs.

If I remember correctly, the only script that actually attempts to justify the presence of Aliens on the Sulaco is Gibson's, and obviously that never got made.

SM

SM

I not sure even Gibson's justified it.  The UPP find an egg rooted to Bishop's entrails in his hypersleep pod.

Scorpio

Scorpio

Anyone know how I can get in touch with David Giler or Walter Hill, I'll ask them directly.

Quote from: SiL on Aug 09, 2017, 09:21:25 AM

As for Ripley's value, you're not even consistent in your own post: if she's valuable enough for Bishop to risk his covert mission to pick her up from the atmosphere processor, why send her into possible danger in the first place?

It wasn't much risk, otherwise Bishop would never have bothered.  He knew he still had time.

And I was just saying that Ripley is more valuable than Hicks (all the marines were expendable, even the highest ranking like Apone and Gorman, the original plan for Ripley was to impregnate her with an embryo so they could get an alien through quarantine). 

But it makes more sense to have 3 possible hosts for the facehugger/s than only one.  Increases your chances of successful implantation.

QuoteYou're also forgetting that while Bishop was made by the Company, he wasn't owned or sent by them.

How do you know this?  Who owned/sent him then?

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Scorpio on Aug 09, 2017, 09:48:33 AM
Anyone know how I can get in touch with David Giler or Walter Hill, I'll ask them directly.
They won't answer. It wasn't in the script.

QuoteIt wasn't much risk, otherwise Bishop would never have bothered.
They had two minutes to evacuate. It was a huge risk; he bothered because his programming wouldn't let him let harm come by Ripley by doing nothing.

QuoteAnd I was just saying that Ripley is more valuable than Hicks. 
But she's not.

QuoteBut it makes more sense to have 3 possible hosts for the facehugger/s than only one.  Increases your chances of successful implantation.
What would prevent the facehugger infecting a knocked-out person, exactly?

QuoteHow do you know this?  Who owned/sent him then?
Bishop's with the marines.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SM on Aug 09, 2017, 09:45:32 AMI not sure even Gibson's justified it.  The UPP find an egg rooted to Bishop's entrails in his hypersleep pod.

He says, or at least strongly implies, it grows out of genetic material the Queen deposited inside him when she impaled him.

SiL

SiL

Twohy has them finding eggs in space.

Scorpio

Scorpio

Quote from: SiL on Aug 09, 2017, 09:57:43 AM
Quote from: Scorpio on Aug 09, 2017, 09:48:33 AM
They won't answer. It wasn't in the script.

But it was someone's idea to put the egg there.

QuoteIt wasn't much risk, otherwise Bishop would never have bothered.
They had two minutes to evacuate. It was a huge risk; he bothered because his programming wouldn't let him let harm come by Ripley by doing nothing.

If he really did not want Ripley harmed, he would never have let her go alone into a hive full of murderous aliens, armed with only a flamethrower and 99 rounds of ammunition.

QuoteAnd I was just saying that Ripley is more valuable than Hicks. 
But she's not.

I tried to modify my original post but my slow connection prevented me.  Hicks is no more valuable than the other marines.  Burke needed Ripley to get an alien through quarantine.

QuoteBut it makes more sense to have 3 possible hosts for the facehugger/s than only one.  Increases your chances of successful implantation.
What would prevent the facehugger infecting a knocked-out person, exactly?

Don't get your point.

[quote[
QuoteHow do you know this?  Who owned/sent him then?
Bishop's with the marines.
[/quote]

While they do appear to have a prior history, nothing is stated whether Bishop had been with them on missions before.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SiL on Aug 09, 2017, 10:02:19 AMTwohy has them finding eggs in space.

Twohy's never really deals with what happens on the Sulaco, which was my point. Ripley and the others never appear. All the others have Aliens on the Sulaco at the start, but only Gibson makes any attempt to explain how they got there (and even he has some of them magically appearing in his first draft, something he fixed in the second).

Hemi

Hemi

The egg shot should just be removed from the final movie. Stowaway huggers would have been better imo. The shot itself is a tad useless.

And why is it on the ceiling again?

QuoteWhile they do appear to have a prior history, nothing is stated whether Bishop had been with them on missions before.

Do you want actors to literally say it in the camera? Or do you want a good movie? :P

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Scorpio on Aug 09, 2017, 10:24:16 AM
But it was someone's idea to put the egg there.
An egg being there isn't the issue. Where it is, is the issue. And that came about during the shoot, not the script. And their answer would be "We had to do something so we stuck it somewhere".

QuoteIf he really did not want Ripley harmed, he would never have let her go alone into a hive full of murderous aliens, armed with only a flamethrower and 99 rounds of ammunition.
He couldn't leave Hicks.

QuoteI tried to modify my original post but my slow connection prevented me.  Hicks is no more valuable than the other marines.  Burke needed Ripley to get an alien through quarantine.
No, Burke needed victims. Ripley and Newt were conveniently separated from the others.

QuoteDon't get your point.
Hicks was unconscious; why would Bishop need to care about maximizing potential hosts when he has an unconscious victim already lying around?

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Scorpio on Aug 09, 2017, 10:24:16 AMIf he really did not want Ripley harmed, he would never have let her go alone into a hive full of murderous aliens, armed with only a flamethrower and 99 rounds of ammunition.

In his role attached to a marine combat unit, he "lets" human beings march into dangerous situations all the time.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed