Egg on Sulaco

Started by Darkness, Nov 01, 2006, 08:21:10 AM

Author
Egg on Sulaco (Read 798,519 times)

SM

SM

QuoteJust to put that into perspective, the folks at Gearbox Software are also "massive fans."  Would you want Mikey Neumann anywhere near the production of this film?

None of them were from Gearbox.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 11, 2016, 07:40:37 PM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Sep 11, 2016, 06:36:13 PMDuring travel, the artificial gravity is shut down 90%.

Says who?

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Sep 11, 2016, 06:36:13 PMIt's still a big stretch to ask the audience to figure that out.

Not really. The new design was noticeably bigger and looked different, and there are two Aliens in the film, one of which is a Queen. It hardly would've taken a PhD in astrophysics to work out what had gone on.

By changing it to a regular Facehugger they made things more confusing, because there isn't the visual difference to guide the viewer.

The artificial gravity idea was one put forth by someone on this thread.  Windebieste?  I can't recall who exactly.  Percentages may vary.

The only thing that anyone can deduce with any fair degree of certainty was that the egg got on the Sulaco from the Dropship when it returned from Acheron.  Anything else is just speculation or paranoid delusion.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on Sep 12, 2016, 12:36:59 AM
QuoteJust to put that into perspective, the folks at Gearbox Software are also "massive fans."  Would you want Mikey Neumann anywhere near the production of this film?

I understand that.  What I'm saying is that even "massive fans" can have questionable judgment.  The folks at Gearbox are just a prime example.

windebieste

windebieste

You need to take the 'artifical gravity' ideas into context.  All the other ships systems are put into sleep mode. Why not the AG, too.

Besides, Ripley even announces that the Nostromo's artificial gravity is being engaged during the ship's ascent.  Why not have the AG on all the time..? 

It is all outlined above.  That is, IF you care to look. 

-Windebieste.

SM

SM

Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 12, 2016, 12:53:55 AM
Quote from: SM on Sep 12, 2016, 12:36:59 AM

I understand that.  What I'm saying is that even "massive fans" can have questionable judgment.  The folks at Gearbox are just a prime example.

All of which is entirely besides the point I was making.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I thought your point was that a retcon is the popular choice among the massive fans who work for Fox.  Was I mistaken?

SM

SM

No, my point was "the uselessness of anecdotes".

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on Sep 12, 2016, 01:10:47 AM
No, my point was "the uselessness of anecdotes".

Quite.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/anecdotal

Funny site.  And useful on forums like this.

Uncanny Antman

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: windebieste on Sep 12, 2016, 12:56:13 AM
You need to take the 'artifical gravity' ideas into context.  All the other ships systems are put into sleep mode. Why not the AG, too.
We see the state of things on the Sulaco post-travel and 10% gravity would have left the place looking differently.  The perpetual motion toys, for example.

SM

SM

I tried the same tack back on page 84...

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

And I said that zero (or reduced) gravity was unnecessary to explain the location of the egg.  I'm not sure why windebieste keeps bringing it up since his theory doesn't hinge on it.

windebieste

windebieste

The gravity would have to be reduced and not completely turned off simply because all the loose objects would just migrate around freely in zero G.  It would become a safety issue to have all that shit just lying around randomly when the AG is turned back on as the crew awakes.  So it needs to be about 15%.

Why do this, anyway..?

The reduction in gravity, as I've outlined previously has a very practical energy conservation practice.  Ripley even remarks about it being activated when it's needed as they exit the gravitational influence of LV-426.   Many of the ship's other systems are powered down when the crew are in hypersleep and as Ripley would tend to indicate, the artificial gravity could very well be, too, especially if there's no one awake aboard the ship. 

Producing artificial gravity is going to be resource expensive and energy conservation is always a premium during space travel.  As there's no need for it to be at full capacity  when everyone is asleep, 10-20% would be all that's needed just to keep loose items in place.  Friction will do the rest to keep them in place. 

This goes for objects adhering to the ceiling as well.

What's more, the egg weighs, what? 10kg?  Try just fastening a 10kg bag of rice to the ceiling, let's see how that works out.  lol.  Bring that figure down to 1kg and yes, you could have an object securely fastened to the ceiling and just hang there.  Even if it grew there, which is what we are looking at here after a proto facehugger anchors itself in that location.

The low gravity, while all crew are in hypersleep also allows the proto hugger(s) to migrate a lot easier, fasten themselves into place on any surface, floors, walls...  ceilings.   It's not that hard to figure out an explanation.  Sure, there's some licence required getting the proto huggers there in the first place, but hey...

I'm not the first person to mess around and alter the Alien's life cycle on a whim...   :P

I've outlined it all in previous posts.  Check it out. 

EDiT: Something that just occurred to me that might be worthy of consideration: Variance in the Nostromo's payload 20/200 million tons can be attributed to Artificial Gravity changes.  When the movie starts, we see the Nostromo with all its crew asleep and the 20 million figure is displayed as part of the opening text; about 10% of the actual figure.  Later, as visible in a video display read out, the figure jumps to 200 million - meaning full gravity is now applied to the ship.  lol. I think that's right. 

-Windebieste.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: windebieste on Sep 12, 2016, 12:56:13 AM

Besides, Ripley even announces that the Nostromo's artificial gravity is being engaged during the ship's ascent.  Why not have the AG on all the time..? 

It is all outlined above.  That is, IF you care to look. 

-Windebieste.

I did take the Gravity idea into context.  It's not a bad idea at all.  Unfortunately it's applied to a bad idea.  That bad idea being Alien 3.  I do like the film though.  I'd say, much like a Porsche 911, it's a bad idea perfected.

Uncanny Antman

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: SM on Sep 12, 2016, 02:59:59 AM
I tried the same tack back on page 84...
Apologies.  I only visit now and then, so I miss a lot.  :)

The whole low-gravity idea seems like a waste of time to me.  Why go to such convoluted extremes when you could just say that whatever created or carried the egg put it there to be unseen?   Low gravity so that a spore or whatever can just float there on the air current seems not only weird but un-Alien.  Or un-scary at least. 

Spoiler
Not that I subscribe to any particular theory, mind you.  My current take on the matter is, the creators of Alien3 went to so little effort for that moment to make sense, I'd rather not waste too much time trying to justify it. (Although I certainly have over the years.)  ;)
[close]

SM

SM

Spoiler
Indeed  :)
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed