Egg on Sulaco

Started by Darkness, Nov 01, 2006, 08:21:10 AM

Author
Egg on Sulaco (Read 800,269 times)

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

I agree about the music.  If that scene had any redeeming value, it was the music.

As a matter of fact, I tend to think that the scenes where a character falls to their doom in some sort of lava don't look good on film.  I thought Gollum's demise looked terrible too.

FiorinaFury161

FiorinaFury161

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Sep 08, 2016, 06:23:10 PM
I thought Gollum's demise looked terrible too.
That's because it did look terrible. :P I really wish they had used the book's ending, but then again, when don't we say that.

Vermillion

Vermillion

He's ignored by the aliens.

Dropped the dropship in the hive

Got a shopping cart.

Strolled the egg aisle.

Picked a juicy one.

Put it in the trunk.

Flew up to rescue Ripley.

All in the nick of time.

...so utterly simple.  That's why you find it hard to fathom.

That's his character. A product of WY. 
And twitchy.

Though. I still say Alien 3 is a dream.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Vermillion on Sep 09, 2016, 12:18:45 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160909/ba9ab9d3ac5d4d45d2698278e3062253.jpg

He's ignored by the aliens.

Dropped the dropship in the hive

Got a shopping cart.

Strolled the egg aisle.

Picked a juicy one.

Put it in the trunk.

Flew up to rescue Ripley.

All in the nick of time.

...so utterly simple.  That's why you find it hard to fathom.

That's his character. A product of WY. 
And twitchy.

Though. I still say Alien 3 is a dream.

No, I think it was like this.

He got out of the crawl service tunnel.

He arrived at an area where there were some eggs.  There is nothing to imply that they were all at the processing station.  Maybe the aliens moved them around in search of Newt?

He put them on the drop ship in a cargo locker.

Went to pick up Ripley.

I really don't want to get into this polemic again though.  It could have happened, or not.  I enjoy my Alien 3 regardless of how it happened, in the hopes that someday soon it will be retconned.

stephen

stephen

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 08, 2016, 08:32:33 AM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Sep 08, 2016, 12:36:17 AMI thought that was a terribly done scene.  Aside from the impact to the story, it just didn't look good.

???

It's probably the most beautifully shot sequence in the entire series, apart from maybe the funeral for Hicks and Newt. Saying it "doesn't look good" is doing it a disservice.

I don't think the way it was shot was anything fantastic at all.

And while I hate that Hicks and Newt were killed off I think the funeral scene for them was shot beautifully.  I mean I hate the whole premise etc and think it was ridiculous that they were killed off but I can appreciate the beauty of that funeral scene.

The ending - Ripley's sacrifice - I don't get the same feel.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Exactly.  The way it came across to me was: Sigourney Weaver glorification.  She wanted to have a big cinematic moment and well, she fell flat, and burned.  The whole movie was forced as if for the purpose of glorifying an actress, and that final scene was just a culmination of that.  It was obscene and way too much of a spotlight moment.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

In my opinion, that was a big downside to Weaver getting an Oscar nomination for Aliens.  In lieu of a sequel that advanced the story about the more interesting alien, it became even more Ripley-centric.

The development hell that Alien 3 went through indicates that they could never decide between making a sci-fi/horror tentpole or some kind of Oscar bait art film, so we ended up with a strange hodgepodge of the two.

Nostromo

Nostromo

And now she wants an encore! Wiiipeeeee it's the Ripely dippely do franchise and it's mine all mine!

SM

SM

Newflash - the central character in a film is central in a film.

In other news, water is wet.

stephen

stephen

I agree with SM - it's not that it was about Ripley. It's more just the theme of it and just being a bit lucklustre.

I mean it could have been good but personally feel that it didn't hit the mark.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Yes, there's something to be said for the central character being the central character, but there's something to be said for hubris and humility.  What worked so well about Weaver's performance in Aliens was how humble she was, and how vulnerable she was as a person, while still being Rambo.  That is because she didn't set out to be Rambo, it was forced upon her.  She was a reluctant hero much like Frodo.  Frodo never wanted the ring, but he knew he had to carry it.  Ripley didn't want her task but she knew she had to rise to the occasion every time, because the people around her just didn't get it.

It was Weaver who wanted to reclaim the limelight in Alien 3.  She didn't want to share it with the other actors who survived Aliens with her.  Even though her film was about personal sacrifice, her hubris as an actor infected the story of the film, and she became overexposed.  She overdid it.  Its overexposure at its worst.  But who could blame her?

Sigourney Weaver is older now.  With that comes maturity.  She has a chance to ignore that film that she did once to serve her own ego, and to let her character be the integral part of a much better story that she was meant to be.  The task at hand for her is one of restraint, not over-zealousness.  She will be sharing the stage with someone who truly deserves another good kick at the can, and hopefully that means that she will recognize Ripley's strengths and play the character right this time.  Its about the story Sigourney!

SM

SM

QuoteIt was Weaver who wanted to reclaim the limelight in Alien 3.  She didn't want to share it with the other actors who survived Aliens with her.  Even though her film was about personal sacrifice, her hubris as an actor infected the story of the film, and she became overexposed.  She overdid it.  Its overexposure at its worst.  But who could blame her?

One script had Hicks.  Twohy and Red both wrote scripts with no characters from Aliens.  That was before Ward brought her back sans Hicks and Newt.

But apparently Weaver was the one who wanted to make it all about her.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

When you fact-checked the WYR, surely you came across this excerpt on page 125:

QuoteThe other, more likely, theory posits that the queen deposited a resinous egg sac in the landing gear of the dropship, or flung some amount of egg-forming material from her body once the ship was back on board the Sulaco.

That sounds a lot like my ooze theory (although it never occurred to me that she may have "flung" it).  Can you even say if that was Perry's idea or does your NDA mean no further enhancement?

Either way, this is for HuDaFuk:

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 24, 2016, 12:38:18 PM
Vindication!

SM

SM

Yeah that was on Danelle's original manuscript.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Did you make it known that you frowned upon it?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed