Reproduction Method Official

Started by SuicideDoors, Oct 26, 2007, 08:01:45 AM

Do you like the new addition to the lifecycle?

Love it!
80 (21.6%)
Pretty Cool
135 (36.5%)
I expected more
31 (8.4%)
Hate it
40 (10.8%)
To hell with the makers of AvP: R
30 (8.1%)
Like some aspects of it, but think it contradicts too much.
54 (14.6%)

Total Members Voted: 324

Author
Reproduction Method Official (Read 201,063 times)

Ballzanya

Ballzanya

Quote from: Flaming Firefox on Nov 14, 2007, 01:09:35 AM
Quote from: Ballzanya on Nov 14, 2007, 01:03:58 AM
Quote from: The Chibi Kiriyama on Nov 14, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
QuoteA f**k you to Ridley Scott, James Cameron, David Fincher and even Pierre Jeneut(spelling could be of. lol)

I'm glad on the last one. It was Jeunet and the geniuses at ADI who thought that the creatures should be organic and that they needed to mess around with the basics to "improve." At least we're getting some good with some crap, whereas every idea in Resurrection is appropriately covered in hues of urine and fecal matter.

The newborn may have sucked, but it didn't break canon at all. It made sense in terms of the plot, it was a human/alien abomination that was supposed to look weird. Although I would agree that the directors of all three previous films were better than him, even though i don't think alien 3 is that much better than alien: resurrection. (anytime the alien ran on all fours, it was the rod puppet and looked awful, it was pre-cgi yet looks like the effects of a sci-fi channel original movie)

I agree. I always thought the Alien 3 effects were awful especially in comparison with Aliens, you would have thought the effects would get better not worse. I hated Newborn too. I always thought that why would you make an Alien-human hybrid when Aliens themselves already take on the characteristics of their hosts. They are already somewhat hybrid creature. I also don't agree with calling the runner a hybrid and not the regular aliens because their is no difference except for host.

i understand about the hybrid thing, but I used the term for the ease of speaking as opposed to applying it literally in terms of the aliens. The reason why the effects got worse from Aliens to Alien 3 is probably due to:

-the fact that it was ADI's first alien film in terms of special effects as their own seperate company/no stan winston.

-the dog alien required movement that tom couldn't do in the suit, and they had to use a f**king rod puppet as no cgi was available for the most part. (There is only one cgi shot, and its the cracking of the aliens head at the end). Which makes you wonder why they opted to do a quadripedal alien to begin with.

SM

SM

It's what the Finch wanted from the outset.

Ballzanya

Ballzanya

Quote from: SM on Nov 14, 2007, 01:15:45 AM

what? It wasn't in the script? He should have known the limitations of the studio and the special effects for that time. I guess he was just too ambitious and eager as a director to work on his first film, which had big expectations, it followed in the footsteps of what Ridley Scott and James Cameron have laid the groundwork for.

SM

SM

Ripley refers to it being different so it was in the script, but Fincher had ADI and Giger designing Aliens that went about on all fours shortly after he came on board.  And that was probably born out the ideas in Ward's script.

Ballzanya

Ballzanya

Quote from: SM on Nov 14, 2007, 01:22:51 AM
Ripley refers to it being different so it was in the script, but Fincher had ADI and Giger designing Aliens that went about on all fours shortly after he came on board.  And that was probably born out the ideas in Ward's script.

vincent ward's script sucked, at least the original wooden planet concept in which some motifs survived to the final script of alien 3.

Flaming Firefox

Quote from: Ballzanya on Nov 14, 2007, 01:18:43 AM
Quote from: SM on Nov 14, 2007, 01:15:45 AM

what? It wasn't in the script? He should have known the limitations of the studio and the special effects for that time. I guess he was just too ambitious and eager as a director to work on his first film, which had big expectations, it followed in the footsteps of what Ridley Scott and James Cameron have laid the groundwork for.

I agree, a case of the director not working within his limitations. The dog-runner is a brilliant idea, but wasn't feasible really with the kind of effects they were using. It would be cool to see Alien 3 remastered with new CGI in place of the crappy puppet.

Uncanny Antman

Uncanny Antman

There's nothing wrong with the puppeteering in Alien 3.  Alls that's needed is to re-composite the elements again, using a digital system instead of an optical one.

The Alien 3's puppeted movement kicks the shit out of any of the CG Aliens we've had so far.

Ballzanya

Ballzanya

Quote from: Uncanny Antman on Nov 14, 2007, 02:12:02 AM
There's nothing wrong with the puppeteering in Alien 3.  Alls that's needed is to re-composite the elements again, using a digital system instead of an optical one.

The Alien 3's puppeted movement kicks the shit out of any of the CG Aliens we've had so far.

well maybe. The swimming aliens in alien: resurrection were easily spotable as being cgi, but they had to use them as tom couldn't do that in the suit and its actually one of the more interesting parts of the film. The cgi aliens in avp freeing the queen were pretty obvious as well, i will give you that.
Also the puppeteer work may have been good, but it still looks like shit on film due to the limitations of using such effects. The same way say "clash of the titans" effects look really shitty in terms of current special effects, but at the time it was the norm.

Flaming Firefox

Quote from: Uncanny Antman on Nov 14, 2007, 02:12:02 AM

Are you smoking something? You actually like jerky movements and an obvious pole attached to your Alien? I agree Resurrection's CGI was a little obvious but I'll still take CGI, which it was a lot better when they used it in AvP than a puppet doll anytime.

That Yellow Alien

Some of the shots of the rod puppet are pretty good. Like when it is chewing on that guy before the chase. However, most of the shots aren't so good.

Ballzanya

Ballzanya

Quote from: Yellow Alien on Nov 14, 2007, 02:41:47 AM
Some of the shots of the rod puppet are pretty good. Like when it is chewing on that guy before the chase. However, most of the shots aren't so good.

None look as good as the aliens do in the second film however, which was made in 1986. Alien 3 was made in 1992 if i recall correctly.

That Yellow Alien

Well, obviously, they didn't use the rod puppet in "Aliens." The real thing is always better.

Ballzanya

Ballzanya

Quote from: Yellow Alien on Nov 14, 2007, 02:47:01 AM
Well, obviously, they didn't use the rod puppet in "Aliens." The real thing is always better.

And that is the point.

SM

SM

Yeah I love the AvP2 promo shot going round of the Predator and Alien fighting with the dorsal tubes all floppy...

The New Blood

The New Blood

Quote from: SM on Nov 14, 2007, 03:03:39 AM
Yeah I love the AvP2 promo shot going round of the Predator and Alien fighting with the dorsal tubes all floppy...

That shot is horrible. I hate the way ADI makes the dorsal tubes. In Alien/Aliens the tubes looked really great.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed