The ROBOCOP thread

Started by stickaround, Feb 27, 2007, 11:25:12 PM

Author
The ROBOCOP thread (Read 277,744 times)

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

See ya later folks, time to stream some shiz.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Hubbs on Feb 09, 2014, 06:10:14 AM
Quote from: Cvalda on Feb 09, 2014, 06:08:01 AM
Quote from: hfeldhaus on Feb 09, 2014, 05:54:28 AM
dredd was good but not great. in five years time it will be forgotten. everyone wants a sequel but it completely limited itself because of the age rating. and dredd wasnt good because it had gore, it was a tightly written and the direction was great. the gore was just a style that was thrown on top. only teenagers want gore in their films its pretty much unnecessary these days
Dredd was excellent and will be a cult classic. That's blatantly obvious.

And its interesting that you are criticizing "teenage tastes", when this dumb, neutered remake you are championing is specifically tailored for them, hence its rating.

Errrm not so sure about that but it was good.

"A cult film, also commonly referred to as a cult classic, is a film that has acquired a cult following."

"A cult following is a group of fans who are highly dedicated to a specific area of culture. A film, book, musical artist, television series, or video game, among other things, will be said to have a cult following when it has a small but very passionate fan base."

I'd say Dredd fits the bill.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Blacklabel on Feb 09, 2014, 06:11:37 AM
Dredd was excellent

Except for that one scene where Dredd and another judge were going MANO A MANO because nobody could tell who was doing what to who. lulz.

Great film, though.
I didn't say it was a masterpiece :P

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

dredd was good but not great. in five years time it will be forgotten. everyone wants a sequel but it completely limited itself because of the age rating. and dredd wasnt good because it had gore, it was a tightly written and the direction was great. the gore was just a style that was thrown on top. only teenagers want gore in their films its pretty much unnecessary these days
Dredd was excellent and will be a cult classic. That's blatantly obvious.

And its interesting that you are criticizing "teenage tastes", when this dumb, neutered remake you are championing is specifically tailored for them, hence its rating.

have you seen it? or are you just going on the reviews you've read? i saw it on day one, opening night. you wanna know what the majority of the audience was? 30+ year olds who obviously went to see to see what they'd done with it. don't judge a film by its rating. its not neutered at all. theres violence but with less blood sprays thats all

btw it being a cult film gives it no higher rating. human centipede has a cult following

Aspie

Aspie

Quote from: Blacklabel on Feb 09, 2014, 06:11:37 AM
Dredd was excellent

Except for that one scene where Dredd and another judge were going MANO A MANO because nobody could tell who was doing what to who. lulz.

Great film, though.

ಠ_ಠ

Quote from: Alienseseses on Feb 09, 2014, 06:07:56 AM
Quote from: Aspie on Feb 09, 2014, 06:06:15 AM
Quote from: ShadowPred on Feb 09, 2014, 06:01:09 AM
Quote from: Aspie on Feb 09, 2014, 05:59:33 AM
i'm not a teenager, but I would've been pissed off if the Dredd remake didn't have the grit, brutality, and callousness the character demands :P

It doesn't make the film, but sometimes gore is an essential part of a character.

I don't know if this applies to Robocop, though. But yes, Dredd.

GORE is not an essential part at all dude, violence on the other hand is. You can easily have Dredd f**king killing a lot of bastards, but you don't NEED to have in-your-face Mortal Kombat gore everywhere to be seen for that.

...but that's what the comics portray for Dredd. Over the top violence and gore. :P
To be fair, the Stallone movie with added gore and a lack of a face reveal would have been pretty comic-accurate. But it wouldn't have been good.

Which is certainly true, but I think the addition of the violence and gore in Dredd, alongside the everything else, only added to it as an adaptation attempting to be as accurate to the source material as possible. Everything was great about it, but I believe I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much if they toned down brutality, because over-the-top chaos and gore is essential to the story in the Dredd-verse.

Hubbs

Hubbs

Quote from: hfeldhaus on Feb 09, 2014, 06:09:04 AM
Quote from: Hubbs on Feb 09, 2014, 06:02:58 AM

You see this is the problem, you're saying the film is limited because of its rating. Sooooo you're saying that all films must be PG-13 for them to survive because its not worth limiting the audience to just adults. Sooooo you're saying its purely all about the $$$?.

In other words you just want PG-13 flicks all the time from every franchise?

Plus I never said anywhere that gore makes the film, I don't believe, I said violence. There is of course a difference.

no not at all. some films dont need sequels and can be one offs. of course its about the money. these aren't indie films they have a 100 million dollar budgets. the whole point of these remakes is to start a franchise. would dredd have been better as a PG-13? probably not. did its rating hamper its chances of being successful? yes

Yes I agree, but there's the thing, a PG-13 would possibly spawn a better money raking franchise but the film would be weaker I think. Its amazing Dredd was actually an adult rated film frankly, shocking actually. Unfortunately we get more and more of the PG-13 rating these days, still waiting for a return to the adult genre for the Terminator.

Nightmare Asylum

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

Quote from: Hubbs on Feb 09, 2014, 06:15:15 AM

You see this is the problem, you're saying the film is limited because of its rating. Sooooo you're saying that all films must be PG-13 for them to survive because its not worth limiting the audience to just adults. Sooooo you're saying its purely all about the $$$?.

Plus I never said anywhere that gore makes the film, I don't believe, I said violence. There is of course a difference.

no not at all. some films dont need sequels and can be one offs. of course its about the money. these aren't indie films they have a 100 million dollar budgets. the whole point of these remakes is to start a franchise. would dredd have been better as a PG-13? probably not. did its rating hamper its chances of being successful? yes

Yes I agree, but there's the thing, a PG-13 would possibly spawn a better money raking franchise but the film would be weaker I think. Its amazing Dredd was actually an adult rated film frankly, shocking actually. Unfortunately we get more and more of the PG-13 rating these days, still waiting for a return to the adult genre for the Terminator.

at the end of it all, i just think that if a film can maintain a good standard without the need for over the top violence then it should just be left. this robocop is a pretty good example of that. there was enough violence and no more was needed. and dude you just know the next terminator will be PG-13.

Hubbs

Hubbs

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 09, 2014, 06:17:52 AM
adult genre

OK OK...gritty mature genre? not PG-13 world? ;)

Quote from: hfeldhaus on Feb 09, 2014, 06:18:35 AM

at the end of it all, i just think that if a film can maintain a good standard without the need for over the top violence then it should just be left. this robocop is a pretty good example of that. there was enough violence and no more was needed. and dude you just know the next terminator will be PG-13.

:-[

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: hfeldhaus on Feb 09, 2014, 06:13:37 AM
have you seen it?
I have not.

or are you just going on the reviews you've read?
Yup.

i saw it on day one, opening night. you wanna know what the majority of the audience was? 30+ year olds who obviously went to see to see what they'd done with it.
Congrats.

don't judge a film by its rating. its not neutered at all. theres violence but with less blood sprays thats all
It's not just about violence, duh -- it's about tone and concept. A corporate funded PG-13 remake in 2014 means a bland film playing it safe on all fronts so they can loot the coffin of a formerly lucrative franchise. There is absolutely no valid reason for this remake to exist -- the original is still excellent and still relevant. This is diminished returns, and sanitized ones at that -- like reprocessed patty meat shat into a fryer at McDonalds. It's product.

btw it being a cult film gives it no higher rating. human centipede has a cult following
I said "cult classic". Implying a film that received critical acclaim but limited success.

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

Quote from: Cvalda on Feb 09, 2014, 06:21:04 AM
have you seen it?
I have not.

or are you just going on the reviews you've read?
Yup.

i saw it on day one, opening night. you wanna know what the majority of the audience was? 30+ year olds who obviously went to see to see what they'd done with it.
Congrats.

don't judge a film by its rating. its not neutered at all. theres violence but with less blood sprays thats all
It's not just about violence, duh -- it's about tone and concept. A corporate funded PG-13 remake in 2014 means a bland film playing it safe on all fronts so they can loot the coffin of a formerly lucrative franchise. There is absolutely no valid reason for this remake to exist -- the original is still excellent and still relevant. This is diminished returns, and sanitized ones at that -- like reprocessed patty meat shat into a fryer at McDonalds. It's product.

I said "cult classic". Implying a film that received critical acclaim but limited success.

making all these claims and you haven't even seen it... me on the other hand, i like to form my own opinions

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Hubbs on Feb 09, 2014, 06:19:57 AM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 09, 2014, 06:17:52 AM
adult genre

OK OK...gritty mature genre? not PG-13 world? ;)

"Adult" is not a genre, and "gritty" and "mature" are not genres, they are descriptive terms that can be applied to films in any genre. PG-13 films can easily be "gritty" and "mature" if that is the direction they are taken in. "Gritty" and "mature" films are not restricted by genre or rating. "Gritty" and "mature" do not necessarily mean violent.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

But what about the live action genre? ;D

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Quote from: KiramidHead on Feb 09, 2014, 06:29:39 AM
But what about the live action genre? ;D

Pluto Nash is still greatest example.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Hubbs on Feb 09, 2014, 05:40:42 AM
That was like...a grindhouse type flick wasn't it? I'm not even sure if it got mainstream release or much of it. Robo was pure mainstream...after cuts.
It was too hardcore for the UK censorship board and was promptly banned on release. RoboCop still wasn't the first "intense" mainstream movie.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed