10th Anniversary of H.R. Giger's passing

Started by Darwinsgirl, May 12, 2024, 05:45:51 PM

Author
10th Anniversary of H.R. Giger's passing (Read 454 times)

Darwinsgirl

Today marks the 10th Anniversary of H.R. Gigers passing.

Hard to believe it's been 10 years. The franchise owes so much to his creative genius.

I don't know how to post pics from other sites. His grave is quite elaborate to see if you google it.

You can Rest in Peace knowing you have left your creative mark.

BigDaddyJohn

10 years already, time flies. It's great to see his legacy still influence and inspire so many people.

And it will go on forever.

Neila

Several years ago I was at the Giger Museum in Chur with friends.
It was just before the release of Prometheus.
The museum is relative
small but absolutely impressive.
When you see Giger's pictures in their original size, you discover so many more details that sometimes don't even come across in the books.
The alien room is awesome.
When you face Big Chap you become very humbled.
An exceptional artist whose influence will never end.

and he was probably also very down to earth.
An acquaintance of mine founded a Clive Barker fan club in 1997. And someone called H.R, Giger registered.
When they contacted him it turned out that it was actually Giger and not a fake.
He even invited them to his home and gave them autographed drawings. All real, I've seen photos of it.
Of course he became an honorary member of this fan club.
A very nice person.

Darwinsgirl

Thanks for sharing that.  :)

So often people are only seen as iconic. We don't get to see the person their humanity.

Darkness

Yes, I was sad when he died. I wish he'd have done more in Prometheus.

I've been meaning to buy some of his artwork books. The publisher TASCHEN seems to have the license for his work and they released a 40th Anniversary book but it's way too small. I definitely want a big hardback that contains all his work.

I hadn't seen his grave before. That's pretty unique.

SiL

Quote from: Darkness on May 13, 2024, 06:24:15 PMI definitely want a big hardback that contains all his work.
That would be amazing, but also ridiculously thick. I've got about six of his books and couldn't imagine them so condensed.

Neila

Quote from: SiL on May 14, 2024, 02:09:55 AM
Quote from: Darkness on May 13, 2024, 06:24:15 PMI definitely want a big hardback that contains all his work.
That would be amazing, but also ridiculously thick. I've got about six of his books and couldn't imagine them so condensed.
I saw that there is a summary of Necronomicon 1 and 2.
However, in the pictures this entire work looked pretty thin.
Now I'm wondering if it's just an excerpt from both works, not the entire pictures. Unfortunately there is nothing concrete in the description.
Do you have these books too?

SiL

Quote from: Neila on May 16, 2024, 08:36:07 AM
I saw that there is a summary of Necronomicon 1 and 2.
However, in the pictures this entire work looked pretty thin.
Now I'm wondering if it's just an excerpt from both works, not the entire pictures. Unfortunately there is nothing concrete in the description.
Do you have these books too?
I have both, and those combined wouldn't be too bad at all.

I think HRGiger.com is the thickest book in the collection, and I'd say it's about the size of the Necronomicons combined. Maybe a bit thicker, I'd have to check.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

I have Giger's diary and it's a huge book. Well, the dimensions of the book are smaller than I'd like, but it feels like it's like 900 pages.

I would have absolutely loved it if Giger had survived long enough to see the videogame Scorn.

Edit— this is the book I have, it's 500 pages
https://a.co/d/hAIyjyR

Darkness

I always wanted Giger's Diaries but the price was way too high.

Picked up this though. Icons. It's an oldie from 2002.

Like I said, the books are damn small but it's got lots of nice artwork in there. Strangely, the sections of English text that are there are translated into French and German too on the following pages.

As a guest, you cannot see attachments. Please login.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed