Cosmic horror in the Alien franchise

Started by BigChapismyBestFriend, Nov 16, 2023, 05:37:56 AM

Author
Cosmic horror in the Alien franchise (Read 9,251 times)

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

They also sabotaged the dropship and ambushed the marines by going through ceiling. Also flanking them from behind as Burke found out.

Another thing to consider though is that the situation is different. Big chap was against mostly unarmed truckers, whereas the Alien in second movie were up against marines with explosive tipped armor piericing rounds.

A tiger is the most dangerous thing you can meet when unarmed and especially if cornered by one. Have an elephant rifle or a shotgun though....then its a different story.

BigChapismyBestFriend

Quote from: The Cruentus on Dec 31, 2023, 09:00:04 PMThey also sabotaged the dropship and ambushed the marines by going through ceiling. Also flanking them from behind as Burke found out.
I felt like those are more animal like behavior rather than actual intelligent.

The Cruentus

Only if you take it at face value. They knew the marines were a threat, so they cut them off from possible escape (assuming the dropship thing isn't a coincidence) and boxed them in. Because they had numbers and a queen, they were more self sacrifcial, but that was to protect the species as a whole, rather than the individual.

BigChapismyBestFriend

Quote from: The Cruentus on Dec 31, 2023, 09:07:22 PMOnly if you take it at face value. They knew the marines were a threat, so they cut them off from possible escape (assuming the dropship thing isn't a coincidence) and boxed them in. Because they had numbers and a queen, they were more self sacrifcial, but that was to protect the species as a whole, rather than the individual.
That a good point, I didn't thought about that at that point maybe I should give the xeno in Aliens more credit then I originally had. But the point is they rarely act like there more intelligent in recent time.

The Cruentus

When on your own, you probably are more likely to be super cautious and very self-serving when it comes to surviving.

When you got something that can carry the species and create more, then that becomes the focus. Your one life for the greater good of the species.

Somes species of Ant practice this, they will literally block off tunnels with their bodies if it meant protecting the Queen.

It is facinating. There is nothing to be offended by when it comes to insect comparisons. They are very alien and they are certainly ruthless.

So the whole Aliens being like bugs thing is not a minus, but a plus. it means they are more ruthless than what we can understand since few humans would sacrifice themselves like some ants would.

BigChapismyBestFriend

Quote from: The Cruentus on Dec 31, 2023, 09:19:57 PMWhen on your own, you probably are more likely to be super cautious and very self-serving when it comes to surviving.

When you got something that can carry the species and create more, then that becomes the focus. Your one life for the greater good of the species.

Somes species of Ant practice this, they will literally block off tunnels with their bodies if it meant protecting the Queen.

It is facinating. There is nothing to be offended by when it comes to insect comparisons. They are very alien and they are certainly ruthless.

So the whole Aliens being like bugs thing is not a minus, but a plus. it means they are more ruthless than what we can understand since few humans would sacrifice themselves like some ants would.
I mean yes they are fascinating when they're like that but it does that remove the cosmic horror and makes them less "alien" because we root them down to our understanding of animal as a whole. Is indeed a plus but also a minus as well. But I can understand there is also pros and cons with less explaining.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

I get what you mean, we know some insects life cycles and culture etc, so from Aliens it can be too familar to some that recognize that cycle but there is still plenty of alien-ness as well. The intelligence to cut the power, sabotgage a dropship and sneak on board etc. that is a sign of great inteliigence beyond an insect. They would need to know what the power and dropship meant to sabotage it.

Consider though, mystery aside. What did the alien from the first film display that the aliens from the second film didn't? maybe more caution but only because it didn't have numbers.

Remember, different situatuion

BigChapismyBestFriend

BigChapismyBestFriend

Quote from: The Cruentus on Dec 31, 2023, 09:32:30 PMConsider though, mystery aside. What did the alien from the first film display that the aliens from the second film didn't? maybe more caution but only because it didn't have numbers.

Remember, different situatuion
I think the Alien behavior during lamberts death is what I was referring to. Did Chap kill her in a more traditional sense or did it actually SA her. Why did Big Chap kill her that way? Why couldn't he just headbite her and just be done with it. It doesn't seems like it for any kind of survival circumstances but more of self interest. It's that behavior is I want more of. Just odd behavior and actions in general, maybe they'll make them more alien like maybe they don't act like this when they have a queen. Perhaps all of them are horny psychopaths from space.

OK maybe I drifted off with the last paragraph.

The Cruentus

I can see what you mean, there was indeed a slow deliberance of movement there. maybe it was like a lion or cat, savoring and toying with its kill.

It might have been considering whether to cocoon her or not. Given that there was no current Queen, it is hard to say what its motives was.

BigChapismyBestFriend

Quote from: The Cruentus on Dec 31, 2023, 09:51:06 PMI can see what you mean, there was indeed a slow deliberance of movement there. maybe it was like a lion or cat, savoring and toying with its kill.

It might have been considering whether to cocoon her or not. Given that there was no current Queen, it is hard to say what its motives was.
I think that's more terrifying because we don't know what it's motive was. Maybe Chap did play with Lambert but that's just speculation on our part. Is This behavior more common or is this an isolated incident?

The Cruentus

Yeah, it could mean individual personalities for example, which may indeed be the case.

BigChapismyBestFriend

Quote from: The Cruentus on Dec 31, 2023, 10:13:44 PMYeah, it could mean individual personalities for example, which may indeed be the case.
It could be but perhaps it isn't if we include alien isolation death animations in consideration.

0:23, and 0:47 for this video.

2:52, and 3:35

These death animations come to mind

The Cruentus

Yeah there is a toyness of sorts to be seen there.

BigChapismyBestFriend

Quote from: The Cruentus on Dec 31, 2023, 10:47:09 PMYeah there is a toyness of sorts to be seen there.
Yes but also while I was researching the thing you said about Cat playing with her prey, I found out in this
Why do Cat play with their food

that they do it because they like chasing more than getting them so they let them go to extend the chase. Well yes this makes the prey more afraid, cats don't really seem to understand that. They just like chasing things.

With the Xenomorph in Alien Isolation,
It seem like they do seem to understand what the prey is feeling and they enjoy it. They actively f**k with the prey with no benefits to themselves.

The Cruentus

The hunt can be more enjoyable than the actual kill.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed