Dead Space

Started by fluxcap, Oct 10, 2007, 02:43:40 AM

Author
Dead Space (Read 94,837 times)

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

The marker only had the CODE for life.  The humans developed it.  They either mistranslated it, it was a trap, they executed it wrong, etc

There was no virus IN the marker.  The scientist just took what they thought they knew of the marker and executed it on Aegis the first time.

The necromorphs were born, a short violent infestation happened (that you only read/hear about) in the game.

The project was buried by the government using the fake marker to seal the hivemind.

The mining corporation lands on the same planet sometime later, finds the marker, moves it, and frees the hivemind which had been dormant since the first infestation.

I'm guessing with all the shuttle activity between the corporate colony and the ship (both run by religious fanatics) that some necro's were just brought aboard.  They did land to get the fake marker after all.

I'm guessing the zombie makers were the first creatures created, and they caused all the other do ma hickies to be born.  So some of them probably just stowed away on the ship.

You get all these bonus logs once you beat the game that fills in the backstory (Isaac was a Merchant Marine at one time).  I'm paraphrasing from the best of memory.

dachande89

dachande89

I know they originally mistranslated the code, and it made the necros, and they buried the stone to cover it up. But they didn't decode it again, and try to create the code for life. They simply moved the stone, so I was wondering if the virus that they made originally may have still been trapped with the marker.

Ok I beat the game on impossible and got the achievements, and I don't remember a back story. Was this on the main menu? Or discovered throughout the game? And it does explain a lot since he had marine experience, cause all I could say during this game was, "DAMN! That is one bad ass Engineer!!"

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Its confusing how you have to look it up.  You restart game, start going through it, and then you look at your menu all where you keep all the other logs and stuff.

The original infestation was never destroyed, it was just repressed.  As soon as they moved the marker off the amplifier, it allowed the necro's from the original government infestation to be active again.

A Merchant Marine isn't like a Devil Dog USMC member.  They dont storm beaches and all that stuff, they are just a reserve fleet that can be called to duty during war time, and the mariners on board end up with the title marine.

It would explain why he would at least be comfortable with the assault rifle though.  While he probably didn't go around storming other ships and the like, they probably showed him how to use one in case they were ever boarded.

Merchant Marines are basically just badass sailors.  We haven't used a huge number since WWII, but they were HUGE for us in WWII.  And knowing how things cycle back and forth, can and probably will be used again.  (Some Merchant Marine guys still get around under Federal service today).

AvPvTerminator

AvPvTerminator

I think the Unitology religion is very interesting, but I'm a little confused about it. In some of the logs you find, they say that the Unitologists keep the bodies of the dead worshippers in stasis. I think it is obvious that they want to turn the bodies into necros, but why? The game doesn't really tell you too much.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Well your basic run-of-the-mill Unitologist doesn't want to make new Necromorphs. Hell, any Unitologists outside of those at Aegis 7 and the Ishimura don't know what a Necromorph even is. I can't recall why they want to keep the bodies of the dead, but making new Necromorphs isn't the reason; it's just a really unfortunate unforseen side effect. :P

QuoteI'm guessing with all the shuttle activity between the corporate colony and the ship (both run by religious fanatics) that some necro's were just brought aboard.  They did land to get the fake marker after all.

I'm guessing the zombie makers were the first creatures created, and they caused all the other do ma hickies to be born.  So some of them probably just stowed away on the ship.
That's exactly what happens in the Dead Space: Downfall prequel cartoon: a pair of Infectors stow away on a shuttle leaving Aegis 7 and end up wreaking havoc on the Ishimura, starting the outbreak.

dachande89

dachande89

Ok but I mean still, he's introduced as the engineer, and then he shifts to carrying a cutter= plasma pistol, and is cracking huge monsters in the skull. Seemed like one hell of a engineer... was wondering what course in college he took on killing the undead. lol.

And the Unitology bit, it seemed like the found this as a new pathway in life, like God's next step in evolution, and were willing to embrace it. Like the insane doc kept saying, they were going to be the new dominant species. And he was willing to sacrifice himself, and others (willing or not) to "salvation".

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I think unitologist keep the bodies in hopes that the marker will unveil some way to recapture or reimagine "life."

But I think the necromorphs are just misinterpreted by the mad doctor as being that new way of life.

I don't think he knew the Marker was fake. 

Kendra did, because she was a government stooge.  The rest were corporate.

As for the merchant marine thing, its possible that the concept of it has changed.  A marine used to be a guy who was brought to fight ship to ship.  Now it is a guy who is brought over from the homeland who specializes in fighting on foreign soil.  The concept of a sailor who carries goods and supplies to allies over dangerous waters could also be different than what it is today.  Isn't deadspace like 500 years in the future?

Xhan

Xhan

The MM angle would change little except for Isaac's knowledge of protocol and the willingness to follow the directions of THIS IS MADNESS! rather than Kendra. There's a pretty extensive doc on the weapons on why Isaac is familiar with them on gametrailers, and even barring that the descriptions make it pretty clear why Isaac or any other cross-trained engineer would know how to use them, courtesy of the info on the ship. Their industrial tools, which makes them weapons in the same way a chainsaw or welding torch is a weapon.

Schofield let slip a long while that Marker is most likely a "tech trap", which essentially waits for a society smart enough to translate/activate it, at which point it starts killing you in an unexpected way; essentially the ultimate in passive aggressive paranoia-based weaponry.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

How'd they explain the assault rifle.

I'm having trouble seeing my PS3 text on my oldish plasma screen TV. 

Its not just for deadspace, I got to sit right up on the mofo to read anything.  I read all the text logs about the Unitologist, and also some of Isaacs own mission logs (which I wasn't even aware of until after I started looking for the game finale logs).

You know the mass corpses in the unitologist shuttles are going to play a factor.

Xhan

Xhan

yeah the comic's pretty clear on the body angle.

The rifle is a standard weap, as you already stated, he would have familiarity with it due to his standardized training, same reason he can scoot around in zero G just fine.

dachande89

dachande89

The more you delve into this story, the more complicated and intricate it becomes. Man I love this game.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Xhan on Mar 27, 2009, 05:38:58 AM
The MM angle would change little except for Isaac's knowledge of protocol and the willingness to follow the directions of THIS IS MADNESS! rather than Kendra. There's a pretty extensive doc on the weapons on why Isaac is familiar with them on gametrailers, and even barring that the descriptions make it pretty clear why Isaac or any other cross-trained engineer would know how to use them, courtesy of the info on the ship. Their industrial tools, which makes them weapons in the same way a chainsaw or welding torch is a weapon.

Schofield let slip a long while that Marker is most likely a "tech trap", which essentially waits for a society smart enough to translate/activate it, at which point it starts killing you in an unexpected way; essentially the ultimate in passive aggressive paranoia-based weaponry.

Well canon aside, he'd be familiar with them due to him being the hero. It's like any other form of media, the hero knows how to handle just about anything.

MrLee

MrLee

anyone wanna help me figure out a way to be abel to play and finish this game. it craps me up to much for me to be able to play it :(

I STILL

havent completed it.
i think im on section  5?

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

What do you need help with?

PHANTOM

PHANTOM

Quote from: mrlee on May 21, 2009, 09:55:09 AM
anyone wanna help me figure out a way to be abel to play and finish this game. it craps me up to much for me to be able to play it :(

I STILL

havent completed it.
i think im on section  5?

Just wait until you each End Of Days chapter 10 your gonna have real problems Muahahaha!

Sleep in fear tonight.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed