Nostromo airlock instructions

Started by CaptainViggo, May 31, 2023, 01:15:29 PM

Author
Nostromo airlock instructions (Read 743 times)

CaptainViggo

CaptainViggo

Hello.
I'm actually looking for details about the Nostromo airlock and, while rewatching the movie in 4K the other day, I was intrigued by what could be written under each sign in the side panels.

If I follow Ron Cobb's semiotic standard concept art, the middle sign is supposed to be "Airlock". So it might be what's written under it.

The bottom one looks like a variation of the "Pressurised area", but I doubt that's what's written under it.

I have not found better reference photos, and even in 4K, I can't read the texts.
Anybody knows or has a better photo of it?

EDIT:

Another image where the same texts appear (inside the airlock) :

Eal

Eal

I think in-universe it's just a helpful key dividing the hazard level of each area (the pressurized loading area, the airlock itself, and outside the airlock (non-pressurized))as way of going "Here is how to proceed for airlock boardings/deboardings, top to bottom by each area, divided by semiotic hazard level".

Of course, it could be a set design template that someone on production forgot to remove.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: caffeine4671 on Jun 03, 2023, 07:00:10 PMOf course, it could be a set design template that someone on production forgot to remove.
It's made with Ron Cobb's semiotic standard, a collection of icons he designed to communicate different features aboard the ship.

[cancerblack]

Yeah but OP's asking what the tiny blurry text under each of them is.

SiL

SiL

I know, I'm just saying it's not random set instructions left up.

TC

TC

My guess is the middle line says 'cycling'

CaptainViggo

Quote from: TC on Jun 04, 2023, 04:05:56 AMMy guess is the middle line says 'cycling'

Feels like it could be it. And it would be appropriate in the situation.

Eal

Eal

Quote from: SiL on Jun 03, 2023, 08:32:41 PM
Quote from: caffeine4671 on Jun 03, 2023, 07:00:10 PMOf course, it could be a set design template that someone on production forgot to remove.
It's made with Ron Cobb's semiotic standard, a collection of icons he designed to communicate different features aboard the ship.

Ronn Cobb? Semiotic standard? The ship? That thingy called the 'Nostromo'? What are these things?

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jun 03, 2023, 08:45:38 PMYeah but OP's asking what the tiny blurry text under each of them is.

He could maybe check out Alien: Isolation. They copied a lot of stuff verbatim from the film. I recall seeing some of the stuff from the movie a lot clearer in the game.

Also worth checking out the Propsummit forum if they are still around. Those guys delve into the most minutest of details there.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed