[Updated] The Story Behind The Aliens vs. Predator Animated Series!

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 15, 2023, 05:04:14 PM

Author
[Updated] The Story Behind The Aliens vs. Predator Animated Series! (Read 24,569 times)

Acid_Reign161

Acid_Reign161

Quote from: Blackdawn on Oct 06, 2023, 03:47:47 AM
Quote from: Mr.Turok on Oct 06, 2023, 01:00:32 AM
Quote from: Blackdawn on Oct 04, 2023, 10:18:57 PMAt this point, the fans of the franchise is what's holding everything up.

Another mess up like AVP and AVPR isn't wanted thank you very much. Is it really too much to ask for a awesome but consistent AVP media? Why should we ever settle for less? Xenos mind controlled by children-xeno hybrids?

I mean I can't be alone in that the fans of the AVP series, such as myself, fear another stain on the brand, AGAIN. The AVP2010 game was ok but then forgotten wayside and we only been getting comics and novels ever since. Entertaining ones here and there sure, but if we are getting one back in a motion media, live action or animated, I want one that is sure to be true to the series but also fun, exciting to watch that can bring in new people. I do love how Cyberpunk Edgerunners was that for the Cyberpunk series and I want that level of quality or greater for AVP.

In turn, it would also encourage Fox to make more AVP visual media that is lacking right now, because the films really made a huge stinker that scared them off from doing so up till this point with the shelved anime we got right here. Maybe if they released clips here and there, perhaps we can make up our minds more?
______________________________________________________________________________________

I still gotta say I can't believe the original comic run adaptation was dumped, it's perfect for an anime adaptation like I can't think of another better choice than the first comic run. 

Settling for less is what we've been doing since AVP.

The only reason I'm still a hardcore Yautja fan is because of the literature. I honestly couldn't care less about the movies or games. I'm 40, back in my day it was Predator, one comic, then one book. That was it. That book was AvP: Prey and I've been hooked since but strictly from the literature.

I can second this (to a degree) - having just turned 39 myself, I still feel the 'golden age' of the Alien franchise ran up to and ended in '96.

There really is something to be said for "less is more", and to me, the franchise was at its best when we had the Alien Trilogy, Predator 1&2, and the novels/comics/spin-off media. Have I always craved more? Yup! But then when we get it, it's never right, or (in some cases) enjoyable but somehow feels 'off'. The problem being, it's not a simple case of 'pretend it doesn't exist' as it impacts and influences everything, even if it's a stinker. Case in point; Alien Resurrection released in '97.. now suppose you absolutely hate the movie and refuse to acknowledge it... well, not that simple, as now the comic books are using it as reference for their xeno designs, the Kenner toy range is mimicking the warrior design for their 'Hive Wars' range, every video game and dvd set is slapping its imagery on the cover art etc...same with AvP, as soon as it launched, the Comics and Books switch from 'Aliens vs Predator' to 'AvP' branding, unrelated Aliens media start featuring xenos with tail fins, every story starts revolving around ancient predator temples and pyramids as per the movie etc... not keen on the lore added by Prometheus and Covenant? Too bad it's now in your video games, space jockeys are now engineers, cassette futurism is no more, the universe is now holograms standard modern sci-fi interiors, and flying 'pups' etc etc... (for the record, not saying *i* have issue with these movies, just purely given as example) the fact is, whether something sucks doesn't matter, it will influence and impact the franchise on the whole...it's not just a stain, it grows. Sure, you can come back from it ('Prey' from 'The Predator' is proof) but the latter is still there and it's influence felt.

This is why despite my curiosity, I'd rather they leave this animated show shelved, and let it be a curiosity for years to come like 'Operation: Aliens'.

:-)

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

I think it's pretty shitty to leave anything that's been made sitting on a shelf. I feel it here. I feel it with Warner Bros' Batgirl and Scoob: Holiday Haunt!, and with Disney's The Spiderwick Chronicles and Nautilus, and with everything else that fell victim to this same growing trend.

I don't care if it's good or bad, or if it's a thing I plan on watching or not (I have no desire to sit down and watch most of what I listed above, personally). If something is made, release it. Screw all of this studio heads panicking after the fact, tax break bullshit.

Hudson

Quote...Fox didn't want a 3rd failure because they thought the anime would be poorly received by the fandom.

Fox thought they were only up to two failures by this point? Get bought out by Disney, assholes.

Nightmare Asylum

I don't care if the list of failures in this franchise is as long as my arm, seeing a massive studio get eaten by another massive studio is pretty terrible for the film industry on the whole.

Blackdawn

@Acid_Reign161

Well you don't have to be so precise when you make sense. Geez!

;)

Mr.Turok

Quote from: Blackdawn on Oct 06, 2023, 03:47:47 AMSettling for less is what we've been doing since AVP.
For some yeah, but others like myself, we want more. Simple.

Quote from: Blackdawn on Oct 06, 2023, 03:47:47 AMThe only reason I'm still a hardcore Yautja fan is because of the literature. I honestly couldn't care less about the movies or games. I'm 40, back in my day it was Predator, one comic, then one book. That was it. That book was AvP: Prey and I've been hooked since but strictly from the literature.
That's nice but again, more isn't bad either. Least you can choose to come back to these new things if you wished. It's just nothing wrong to ask for better quality AVP stuff. Aliens are killing it recently and Predator has some decent stuff here and there but AVP is sorely lacking for a decade now.

SiL

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Oct 06, 2023, 11:09:28 AMI think it's pretty shitty to leave anything that's been made sitting on a shelf. I feel it here. I feel it with Warner Bros' Batgirl and Scoob: Holiday Haunt!, and with Disney's The Spiderwick Chronicles and Nautilus, and with everything else that fell victim to this same growing trend.

I don't care if it's good or bad, or if it's a thing I plan on watching or not (I have no desire to sit down and watch most of what I listed above, personally). If something is made, release it. Screw all of this studio heads panicking after the fact, tax break bullshit.
I'm oddly okay with shelving films that are deemed unsatisfactory by the people commissioning them. For tax purposes, no. But that doesn't seem to be the case here.

It obviously sucks for the creatives involved. A lot of people worked hard with nothing to show for it.

But if you're making a project for someone else and they're not happy with the result, it's absolutely their right to throw it in the bin.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: SiL on Oct 07, 2023, 08:39:47 AMfilms that are deemed unsatisfactory by the people commissioning them

This is what it comes down to for me too. Obviously the scale and numbers involved are different, but if someone commissions me to design something or paint a wargames army, and they don't like the results, I don't expect them to give that design to the labourers to build, or to not paint strip that army and hire someone else.

SiL

SiL

I have spent more of my life editing videos, short films, concept trailers and "tv pilots" that never saw the light of day than I can calculate, but I can't say I'm particularly heartbroken over any of it.

ralfy

This might eventually be the trend, i.e., not just animated but deepfake.

SiL

A trend of what, shelving content?

[cancerblack]

It's ya boy ralfy back again with another total non-sequitur for the #ralfnation

BullOrca

So, everything about this plot sounds just so messy, and misinformed. And while these two projects were not made at the same time, this being posted in the wake of live-action One Piece, which gets so much right, shows that sometimes the pendulum swings the other way; sometimes American studios don't get Japanese properties, sometimes Japanese studios don't get American properties.

That's got me thinking though.

Can anyone speak to the popularity of Alien, Predator, and AVP's popularity in Japan? I really have no idea where they would land, in terms of any modern relativity. Or is that a question to be posted in the forum, with it's own thread?

[cancerblack]

The same guy "got" Starship Troopers just fine so IMO it's definitely a conscious creative decision to include Magical Girl trash rather than a cultural misunderstanding.

SiL

Or the guy just doesn't care about A/P/AvP outside of the aesthetic and iconography.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed