Rebel Moon (New Snyder-Helmed Seven Samurai-Sci Fi Influenced Film)

Started by DarthJoker45, Jul 06, 2021, 11:34:15 PM

Author
Rebel Moon (New Snyder-Helmed Seven Samurai-Sci Fi Influenced Film) (Read 9,079 times)

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

One review said it's like asking an AI to write a Star Wars movie. Honestly I don't find it that bad. I mean is not great, but definitely not atrocious either but rather an ok experience. It feels like a tribute to Space Opera & Epic Fantasy. Anyway I'm excited for the director cut.😅

Also, although it is a pastiche as others have said, it is not as if touchstone movies like Star Wars have been built from scratch (even our beloved Alien was stolen from everyone according to O'Bannon himself). It all depends on the execution and Rebel Moon's is not flawsless. But I enjoyed the eye candy stuff and I liked the idea of
Spoiler
a galactic Empire being divided by factions; the War-hammer-40kesque military structure vs a messianic dynasty (visually it gave me some Game of Thrones vibes😅) that wants to redeem the infamous and dystopian Imperium into a more nice form of government that promises biological life after death (literally) by supernatural means instead of military conquest and tyrany.
[close]

That said, it was kind of refreshing to see a Seven Samurai style space adventure that doesn't take place in the galaxy far, far away now owned by the evil mouse Imperium :'(

Another review points out Frank Frazetta-like visuals.

Part 2 trailer

SM

If you want Seven Samurai not in Star Wars land then Battle Beyond The Stars exists.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

An enjoyable classic! 8)

But I'm very easy to please :) and I'd like to see the final cut.😅

Quote from: via PolygonIn a recent conversation with Snyder, Polygon asked him exactly that. In the past, he's described the R-rated cut as being true to his "sexy, violent, crazy" vision for a "weirdo" version of the Star Wars-esque space opera. So is the R-rated cut sexier? More violent? "Crazier"?

"It's more about a deep dive into the universe — it's a lot more," Snyder clarifies. "It's almost like the story takes place in a slightly different dimension than this movie that's about to come out."

https://twitter.com/GamerIntel/status/1738238615942287731

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on Dec 26, 2023, 09:40:32 PMIf you want Seven Samurai not in Star Wars land then Battle Beyond The Stars exists.

Always dug Sybil Danning in her valkyrie outfit.

Snowdog

I had fun with this movie, but.... I do think it's Snyder's worst film at the moment. It was all over the place and needed an edit that gave it more time to breathe, get me more invested. Will watch the director's cut when Netflix releases it next year, but this cut was a one time watch.

Immortan Jonesy

Supposedly the script hasn't changed much since the days when Snyder was negotiating it with Lucasfilm to conceive it as a Star Wars spin-off. I wonder, if it had been given the green light, in what context / timeline this project would have been placed, in the Star Wars universe I mean.

Local Trouble

Snyder would have made it look like one of the old movie posters come to life.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Dec 27, 2023, 12:11:42 AMSupposedly the script hasn't changed much since the days when Snyder was negotiating it with Lucasfilm to conceive it as a Star Wars spin-off. I wonder, if it had been given the green light, in what context / timeline this project would have been placed, in the Star Wars universe I mean.

If I recall correctly, I think Snyder's intent was to set it after Return of the Jedi (which definitely seems like something Lucasfilm would have been reluctant about as they were venturing forth into the Sequel Trilogy proper).

Still haven't watched this yet. I probably will soon, but a part of me wants to just hold off and wait for the extended cut. From everything I'm hearing about this current cut, it sounds like it is pretty much a hacked apart movie with significant chunks haphazardly torn out.

SM

Don't really see the point in a directors cut when it's gone straight to streaming.

xShadowFoxX

Quote from: SM on Dec 27, 2023, 07:54:34 AMDon't really see the point in a directors cut when it's gone straight to streaming.

I enjoyed the film but I'm also going to be Frank and ask what's the point of releasing both parts separately if it's straight to streaming? Particularly since it looks like they've done filming for a good while now.

If it were in theaters.. well I'm not sure about that either because the film just seems too small for that as well.

Nightmare Asylum

Yeah, it seems so incredibly pointless to release it this chopped up form when streaming doesn't (or shouldn't) have any limitations in that regard, especially since they didn't bother with a theatrical release at all... but Netflix gonna Netflix, I guess.

It feels to me like they're trying to reverse engineer their own "#ReleaseTheSnyderCut" moment, which is gross and dumb and pointless as it gets when we literally know he was allowed to shoot the cut he wanted and they're just making him sit on it for a little bit before putting it out there.

Never say no to Panda!

#ReleaseTheSnyderCut
#ReleaseTheScottCut

Gonna be the next new sh*t !!1 :D

xShadowFoxX

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Dec 27, 2023, 10:17:04 AMYeah, it seems so incredibly pointless to release it this chopped up form when streaming doesn't (or shouldn't) have any limitations in that regard, especially since they didn't bother with a theatrical release at all... but Netflix gonna Netflix, I guess.

It feels to me like they're trying to reverse engineer their own "#ReleaseTheSnyderCut" moment, which is gross and dumb and pointless as it gets when we literally know he was allowed to shoot the cut he wanted and they're just making him sit on it for a little bit before putting it out there.

It's not like they release Stranger Things or any other Netflix series sequentially. Actually I'm starting to think this would've been better if it was a limited series, just release the whole thing.. without the recaps please.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Never say no to Panda! on Dec 27, 2023, 10:59:50 AM#ReleaseTheSnyderCut
#ReleaseTheScottCut

Gonna be the next new sh*t !!1 :D

I can at least make a little more sense out of the Scott/Napoleon situation in that the shorter version was at least put in theaters, which isn't happening here, but yeah, Napoleon is another one where (despite me liking the movie overall) it felt like I was only watching a certain percentage of a movie given how much seemed to actually be glaringly missing.

Immortan Jonesy

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed