Marvel Officially Acquires Alien and Predator Comic License

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Jul 02, 2020, 03:23:45 PM

Author
Marvel Officially Acquires Alien and Predator Comic License (Read 80,289 times)

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jul 02, 2020, 07:02:12 PM
I'll never understand the love for Dead Orbit, the first half sucks and the second half is only passable.

Also, "HGK! HGK! HGK! HGK!"

I couldn't agree more.  It's fan-fiction at best.  A Mad-magazine spoof at worst.  Just ridiculous.

Quote from: Disney need sorting out. on Jul 02, 2020, 07:03:20 PM
"This position gives Disney the ability to offer lower-quality products, crush competitors, squeeze profits from other markets, influence politicians in its favor, and more. As the controversy around modern monopolies heats up, it is becoming clear that we need a generalized revitalization of antitrust law in the United States. As part of such a campaign, Disney too must be identified as a monopolistic corporate titan in severe need of being broken up into a number of smaller companies in order to restore both fair competition and the sanctity of American democracy"

I am actually looking forward to the Marvel Alien comics, but I have to say what you wrote above is correct in many ways.  Disney is impossible to compete with and antitrust laws should come into play here to divide it into several smaller companies.

SM

QuoteThere is no anti SM, but it feels bro sometimes like  when ever I voice my opinion he's always there ready to pounce and pick holes in everything and anything I say. I respond and always get looked at as the bad guy

I have no recollection of posting stuff about the The Predator when it was in production nor do I have any recollection who you are.  So you can rest assured that I'm solely responding to bad takes and not you personally.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: XenoHunter99 on Jul 02, 2020, 11:48:43 PM
Super Power Smackdown is cool, and the W vs P edition is a lot of fun! I was thinking of that, and thanks to Mr. Turok for posting the link.

The best DH Alien and Predator stuff was wonderful! Thanks to them for doing that.

I've read a fair amount of new Marvel Star Wars. There is a lot of love for the characters and the lore in the writing and the artwork. I think a lot of hard work goes into those books. They're not phoning it in. If that spirit carries over to new Alien and Predator comics, everything should be fine. I hope for the best and look forward to seeing what they do.

Yes, this is something which brings hope.  The Aliens series once had the power to be the number 2 of the big space sci-fi series before Alien 3 derailed things.  If Disney recognizes this and they try set the series straight we could be in for something great.

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jul 02, 2020, 11:56:12 PM
Just reread Marvel's press release and missed the first time around that the Alien piece is actually being referred to a cover. The Predator one, on the other hand, is just a teaser. So I guess, whatever the initial Alien comic run is, that's the cover for issue 1? If that's reflective of the interior artwork, then I guess the first run will have a proper "Big Chap" right off the bat, which is interesting.

I also note they're referring to it as "Alien" not "Aliens" which seems misguided to me.

It also seems like a slap in the face to DH go suggest that the culmination of the series occurred in 2004 with AVP.  Whaaat?  That totally ignores the DH work that AVP relied on.

Nightmare Asylum

I'd rather see "Alien" as the branding than "Aliens," honestly. Aliens is just one film, and not even the first one at that.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: tyrannosaurusjones on Jul 03, 2020, 02:12:42 AM
Quote from: j0nesy on Jul 02, 2020, 07:13:53 PM
sounds like it's time for tristan jones to make some friends at marvel

Easier said than done, especially from Australia...  :/

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jul 02, 2020, 07:49:25 PM

Preferably with a good writer this time around. Or, even better, with him as the writer.

I adored his art in Defiance but that was really all I cared for in the run.

Thank you! And the only writer I work with these days is me. Might work against me, but I spent 4 years on the TMNT doing story, so I know I can do both.

Quote from: j0nesy on Jul 02, 2020, 09:16:29 PM

he teased a project he pitched two years ago that would have been an alien: isolation sequel which "was meant to be amanda ripley after crashing a ship somewhere on lv426, discovering an ancient engineer facility or temple ruins"

obviously never came to fruition, probably because of the plans fox had for amanda at the time, but it would have been glorious to see

I was actually deliberately sitting on this until I knew where Ridley's last film was going. I can't say I'm surprised the license went to Marvel. Spencer did give me the heads up it would probably happen. I'm just a bit gutted about the Predator one because I was invited to do that but likewise sat on that until things at home cleared up a bit. But who knows. I don't know the editor at all, but maybe some where down the line I'll be able to do both.

Quote from: SM on Jul 02, 2020, 10:19:17 PM
Dark Horse did some great stuff.  And some - to be kind - mediocre stuff.  The change to Marvel depends on the writers and artists they hire.

This. It also depends on how they decide to tell stories -- the Star Wars model seems fraught to me.

I guess if anything it means Marvel will reprint everything again in the big COMPLETE EDITIONS they've been doing with Conan.

I think one of the few things us Aliens fans can agree on is that your style of art is what we love to see in the comics.  I think I speak for most fans on here when I say that we have your back with a united voice in wanting to see your work become a part of the future of Aliens comics at Marvel.

SM

QuoteI couldn't agree more.  It's fan-fiction at best.  A Mad-magazine spoof at worst.  Just ridiculous.

Why?

The T-Rex mentioned the Star Wars model being fraught.  What's the Star Wars model?  I haven't read a Star Wars comic for about 20 years.

426Buddy

I had no idea there were fans that actively disliked Dead Orbit. :o

j0nesy

it's not my absolute favorite, but dead orbit was an awesome addition to the series

SM

Same.  It was good to see a different style of artwork, and the story was a constant out of the frying pan, into the fire, then out of the fire and onto the floor which is also on fire.

j0nesy

totally agree on both points

by the way, have you seen his grip style? think it's something some left-handed artists choose to do, but it seems extremely difficult

SM

:o

I guess people learn how they learn.

BlueMarsalis79

The look of the Alien itself being the one thing I don't care for.

426Buddy

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Jul 04, 2020, 12:46:12 AM
The look of the Alien itself being the one thing I don't care for.

Agreed, pretty much my only nitpick.

Nightmare Asylum

The human tech though, I love. It might be my favorite comic book interpretation of the Alien universe's human tech style, alongside Alien: The Illustrated Story.

MaineXeno

I just wanted to add my two cents to what EVIL was saying earlier. This is specifically to SM, Jonsey, and 426. Nothing he said was racist, homophobic, or sexist. His whole point was that their is a trend in a lot of movie studios and comics especially Disney where they will make a character just for the point of them being a minority. These characters typically end up being written very poorly and are uninteresting, the reason why people are getting so annoyed with these types of characters is because people will them say that you are this or that if you say that they are a poorly written character. A good example of this is Rey from Star Wars. And on the whole marvel as always been political yes you are correct they have been, but they were put in very subtly and not in your face like how it's done now.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed