If Disney decides to go with a reboot, what would you like to see?

Started by Lizardboy, Jan 25, 2020, 10:16:05 PM

Author
If Disney decides to go with a reboot, what would you like to see? (Read 9,950 times)

The Old One

The Old One

Yes, that's my wish also because if not we'll always wonder.

StrangeShape

Wonder if were ever going to get it tho. Not so sure anymore

Voodoo Magic

Nah. A third David film, unfortunately I can't see it any other way than

The Old One

The Old One

I hope you're wrong, but I think you're right.

Evanus

Evanus

reecebomb

reecebomb

Prequels pretty much killed the franchise. But when done right, it's still possible to get back on track.
There's only couple basic guidelines that need to be followed (although some of them can be very hard to pull off, but anything less won't do)

-Soft reboot set in original universe
-ignore prequels or spin-offs (completely, as if they don't exist)
-strong retrofuturistic aesthetics, that means no fancy holograms a la Minority report, but don't go overboard with the retro stuff (no need for analog tapes etc)
-use cgi only when absolutely necessary. Environments can certainly be computer generated with today's tech but cartoony character cgi a la The Thing preguel, Alien Covenant... will ruin it. Camera needs to be/seem real, no Marvel style motion trickery/camera floating all over the place. All in all, less is more.
-creepy uneasy uncanny and timeless soundtrack. Avoid the cheese, there is no place for tacky music in Alien universe. Doesn't mean it can't be adventurous or beautiful in places. But music must be as strong as it's visuals, otherwise it wont work.
-realistic cast and characters (really important)
-no new stronger super duper Aliens, you can't outdo what Giger created with the beast design wise. But perhaps expand it's behavioral traits to emphasize it's otherworldliness. Don't make it a dumb animal jumping around with aggressive rabies that will get killed in stupidest of ways. 
-minimalist storytelling that is full of smart and subtle detail. No need to spell everything out to the audience.
-don't link aliens with human history to fuel our ego or for some other misguided reason. AvP did it first and failed, Prometheus and Covenant has made the franchise almost beyond repair. Alien needs to be alien. Also don't set the movie on earth, at least for the next couple of movies.  Space makes the alien presence much more effective.
-need I emphasize that the atmosphere must be nailed. In rare cases it can redeem a mediocre script (Alien 3)
-most importantly, green light the production only when there is a truly worthy script. Don't do it because you have a franchise sitting in a box waiting to get milked.

Basically study why the original films are so powerful, why the prequels are not and go from there. Also take some notes from the better aspects of Alien Isolation.

SM

QuotePrequels pretty much killed the franchise.

The franchise was coughing up blood after Alien 3.  Prometheus was pretty successful.  Covenant not so much.

reecebomb

reecebomb

Quote from: SM on Feb 06, 2020, 12:49:43 AM
QuotePrequels pretty much killed the franchise.

The franchise was coughing up blood after Alien 3.  Prometheus was pretty successful.  Covenant not so much.

The franchise definitely needed a break after Alien 3. But after years had gone, the potential was huge. Prometheus success was mainly due to the franchise appeal (the trailer made it seem like a proper Alien vibez nightmare), Covenant failed because it was a bad sequel to the disappointing Prometheus. Covenants potential to suck was already noticeable in the marketing stage, it just wasn't appealing to the general audience and large percentage of fans.

SM

I thought it was better than Prometheus.

Voodoo Magic

The sad truth was a portion of the general non-movie-news-consumption audience didn't even know Prometheus was connected to Alien, so can Prometheus even be used as an example of a successful Alien film without an asterisk?

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 06, 2020, 01:26:12 AM
The sad truth was a portion of the general non-movie-news-consumption audience didn't even know Prometheus was connected to Alien, so can Prometheus even be used as an example of a successful Alien film without an asterisk?

I can confirm that! I have 3 friends who were surprised when they saw the "Alien" at the end. One of my friends (she is mostly Otaku though) is a fan of God of War and epic movies with themes of Greek mythology. She thought she was going to watch something like Clash of the Titans.  :laugh:

The other two (who actually saw the trailer) were waiting a generic but expensive science fiction movie. They love games like Mass Effect, Gears of War and Halo and they were tempted by the visuals they saw in the trailers. Actually one of them found Dr Charlie Holloway a little like Commander Shepard.  ;D

They are not Alien fans, and they didn't recognize elements like Weyland or the Space Jockeys. They could only recognize the final creature. But probably because the iconic design of the beast is part of the pop culture. You don't need to be a fan to recognize it.

So yeah. I don't think the Prometheus success is a signal of mainstream having interest in this particular IP. I think Prometheus had its own perfect storm at the Box Office. :P

Edit: There was also a guy (a friend of the friend of my friends) who went to watch the movie because someone told him it was about the "Anunnaki creating life on Earth". He was obsessed with that nonsensical History Channel show, so. Hell! even Alex Jones was acting as promoter of the movie.  :laugh:

Huggs

There were plenty of unique factors that contributed to the success of Prometheus. If you went by the trailers, Prometheus was a sharp looking sci-fi horror film directed by Ridley Scott. That was a draw right there. For alien fans, it was the first dip into the universe since 1997.

It had the looks, the budget, the director, and a decent cast. But the story was what it was. Quite frankly, I think if it had been the second film in the series, it would've made the same or less than Covenant.

reecebomb

True that large portion of the Prometheus audience weren't aware the connection to the Alien and Prometheus had unique factors. But still undeniably the connection contributed to the hype and so called success. Personally I believe that enough time had passes since the last misfires and the potential was huge, the appetite for quality hard sci-fi horror was there. Anyway the prequels have put the franchise in tight corner and the thread is mainly about how to recover from that.

Dangerous_D

as long as it doesn't have SJW bs agenda I'm good, and hopefully a solid cast

Local Trouble

Quote from: Dangerous_D on Feb 09, 2020, 02:44:39 AM
as long as it doesn't have SJW bs agenda I'm good, and hopefully a solid cast

It won't just be woke, it'll be downright insomniac.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed