Ridley Scott to direct 'The Last Duel'

Started by 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯, Jul 22, 2019, 09:20:09 PM

Author
Ridley Scott to direct 'The Last Duel' (Read 158,337 times)

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Feb 14, 2020, 05:25:05 PM
This guy is a real Knight:

Well, technically speaking he is. Scott was was knighted in 2003. By the way, as a 82-years-old geezer, Ridley looks truly great :)

We haven't seen Driver (guy on the photo looks alike but that's not him) and Affleck on set yet. Not to mention that we still don't know who's Affleck going to play.

Also, they're looking for extras (as you posted before) in Ireland skilled in sword and axe, military, marching and archery. Maybe they're going to shoot Wark Castle in Ireland then? Makes sense as Irish (same as Scottish) are Celtic nation. French are not, except Brittany (cultural region in the west of France).

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Ingwar on Feb 15, 2020, 08:56:48 PM
Also, they're looking for extras (as you posted before) in Ireland skilled in sword and axe, military, marching and archery. Maybe they're going to shoot Wark Castle in Ireland then? Makes sense as Irish (same as Scottish) are Celtic nation. French are not, except Brittany (cultural region in the west of France).

Yeah, seems like they are looking for hundreds of extras in Ireland. And soldierly types as you mentioned. So could well be where they will film all the raiding and battle scenes. With regards to Wark Castle though, the Scots refused to participate in the siege so it was just the French fighting the English. So that scene could be filmed in either of the two countries.

It sounds like "Cahir Castle" in Tipperary, Ireland is another possible filming location. Could possibly also stand in for Wark Castle although the description in the book better describes Beynac Castle I think. Cahir Castle was also used in Excalibur for one of the battle scenes.
Filming could start around April there, so still a long way to Tipperrary.

Cahir Castle in John Boorman's Excalibur:

Just to give an idea of the scale of the production:

QuoteA movie is currently being filmed in Beynac, Sarlat and some of the surrounding areas. It's called The Last Duel and is being directed by the famous Riley Scott. It's starring big names such as Matt Damon, Adam Driver, Jodie Comer and Ben Affleck. The movie is being made through Disney and Fox studios and it should be quite an impressive production. Currently Beynac is going through a metamorphosis. I have been told there are 450 people working full time to transform Beynac and other villages to the medieval time of 1390 AD. The castle, church and village are all being filmed. In Sarlat just 11km away they have 800 people they have hired to be extras in the film so this is no small production. The filming will be from mid February - mid March. The movie is scheduled to be released in theaters next December 2020. Kind of cool

Monpazier where they will be filming a medieval marketplace scene. This may be for the part described outside the Palais de Justice:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8obBlXIv7d/

Another shot of Comer at filming site:

Ingwar

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Feb 16, 2020, 05:03:50 PM
With regards to Wark Castle though, the Scots refused to participate in the siege so it was just the French fighting the English. So that scene could be filmed in either of the two countries.

Completely forgot about that :)

It seems like it's becoming bigger production that I thought. Looks impressive.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Well this photo from earlier today settles it Ingwar, I was right!  ;D  Beynac Castle will be Wark Castle:

Sir Ridders wearing an obligatory puffer jacket:

Riddles staggering home after a night in Sarlat. Giannina Facio on the left wearing an obligatory puffer jacket dress:

Matt Damon (in puffer jacket) night out in town:

Quote"The filming of the film "The last duel" of Ridley Scott began for good in Beynac this Monday morning, in a light rain. The extras arrived in the car parks at 4:45 am...The teams shot the first images inside the chateau from early morning until late afternoon"

Quote from: Ingwar on Feb 16, 2020, 09:49:50 PM
It seems like it's becoming bigger production that I thought. Looks impressive.

Yeah, I thought it was going to be a smallish production given that the story is essentially about two guys having a fight. It doesn't read like a sweeping epic like Kingdom of Heaven. I just hope they make/keep it R-rated (15 UK) despite the big budget since it was a rather bloody duel.

Ingwar

Ingwar

How do you know that Beynac Castle will be Wark Castle? :) :)

It should be R-rated. Scott's epics are always better as R-rated (Gladiator, Kingdom of Heaven) that PG-13 (Robin Hood, Exodus). Only R-rated movie can truly picture Dark Ages.

Maybe Scott signed contract with The North Face to wear its stuff each time he shoots.

Wolski isn't wearing obligatory puffer jacket.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Ingwar on Feb 17, 2020, 05:52:01 PM
Maybe Scott signed contract with The North Face to wear its stuff each time he shoots.

:laugh: I think you're right, it all now finally makes sense! Sport stars do that all the time, so why not big-name directors as well?

QuoteWolski isn't wearing obligatory puffer jacket.

Didn't even notice Wolski in that shot. Good to see that he is now confirmed as cinematographer.

Check the pennants:

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Feb 17, 2020, 05:56:42 PM

Check the pennants:

https://www.maybole.org/history/castles/wark1.jpg

Yeah! Well spotted 8th! I haven't even noticed.

Also ...

Did you know that the movie was announced in July 2015?

QuoteShaun Grant has been set to adapt the Eric Jager novel The Last Duel for Jeff Robinov's Studio 8. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2 helmer Francis Lawrence is attached to direct with Erwin Stoff producing. Set in France, The Last Duel is the true story of a duel in 1386 between knights Jean de Carrouges and Jacques Le Gris. It was the final duel sanctioned by the French government, ruled at the time by King Charles VI.

https://deadline.com/2015/07/the-last-duel-shaun-grant-francis-lawrence-studio-8-1201473556/

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Ingwar on Feb 17, 2020, 06:08:28 PM
Did you know that the movie was announced in July 2015?

No, I wasn't aware that the book had been optioned before. I always kind of imaged Scott reading it and thinking that it was right up his alley - lets make a movie of it! So it was basically an existing dead project that he resurrected with a new script?

Another photo of the filming currently taking place at Beynac Castle. Today's filming was interiors only.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Nice Ingwar, so that's our first look at Jodie Comer as the Lady Marguerite.

Another one:

More filming in progress at Beynac Castle today. I see that those pennants are actually not red crosses (England) but look like horizontal red stripes instead. And the Lady Marguerite wasn't anywhere near Wark castle either. So perhaps it is the de Carrouges castle instead? Or are they using the interiors for the de Carrouges castle only?

[Edit] Just read the Daily Mail article, she's wearing a wedding gown. So they're shooting Jean and Marguerite's wedding in the chapel next to the castle.

You can see the chapel on the right. Building with the Cross on top:

First look at Matt Damon as Jean de Carrouges:

Apparently mullets were the rage in 1380?

Some costumed extras:

Ingwar

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Feb 18, 2020, 03:01:04 PM
Apparently mullets were the rage in 1380?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EREUmCBXUAEjTCQ?format=jpg&name=360x360

Bloody hell, I wonder what they're gonna do to Driver ;D

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You should see the Driver stans on twitter right now. They're freaking out like crazy!  ;D

Could have been worse though. Could have been Jodie with a mullet.

Ingwar

I like that mullet. Looks dope 8)

I reckon Adam's gonna keep his long hair as he always has.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Maybe something like this?  ;D

or:

Some more 14th century costumed extras:

Some more Damon:

First pic of Riddles on set along with his puffer-jacket mafia. But why is he carrying his little Yorkshire Terrier with him everywhere? Reminds me of that James Bond villain with the cat:

Another pic of Damon in a different and better costume. The photos aren't very good quality but it almost looks like he has small pox scarring make-up on his face? Quite a common sight back then.

Two French soldiers. Not sure if they are guards or if they will be in a battle:

First on-set photos of Adam Driver. Looks like you were right Ingwar, looks like he'll keep his regular long hair. Although he's not in costume yet so a bowl-cut may yet be on the cards:

Film sets currently being constructed as well as retrofitting on existing buildings at Monpazier. A market scene will be shot here shortly.

Interior and exterior dialogue scenes will be filmed here on 27 & 28 February between 08:00 and 17:00.

Ingwar

Harriet Walter joins the cast.

QuoteWalter, whose credits include HBO's Succession, Rocketman, Downton Abbey and recent Sundance pic Herself, is due to play the mother of Damon's de Carrouges, and mother-in-law to Comer's Marguerite.

This has been a busy time for veteran Walter who is reteaming with Comer after having joined Season 3 of AMC/BBC America's Killing Eve which premieres in April.

https://deadline.com/2020/02/harriet-walter-cast-the-last-duel-ridley-scott-matt-damon-1202863069/

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed