Disney & Fox Confirm Alien Series Remains In Development Under New Ownership!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 03, 2019, 11:27:02 PM

Author
Disney & Fox Confirm Alien Series Remains In Development Under New Ownership! (Read 84,401 times)

SM

QuoteIs the lack of a legit Alien really all that high on the list of complaints about that movie though?

Yes.

LastSonofKrypton

Quote from: SM on May 15, 2019, 09:34:06 PM
QuoteIs the lack of a legit Alien really all that high on the list of complaints about that movie though?

Yes.

Oh yes it is.  Personally it didn't bother me as much, I'm all for stories within the universe that don't involve an alien specifically.  But to set it in the same bloody system as LV-426, and feature the Jockeys, I think it became too much of a tease for some people, and then that tacked on ending with the Deacon felt like an olive branch to fans that fell on its arse.  My problems were with the writing, I can live without an alien as long as I get a well written sci-fi horror that deals with similar themes. 

It's not like we would ever get another movie with an alien that was just as badly written as a result of our complaints....  :-[

Huggs

I see it as a blessing in disguise. If Ridleys AI fascination had not been ferried by Alien, Dennis and 2049 might not have happened the way it did. At least we got one masterpiece out of this mess.

Though I'd have preferred they all been perfect, I'm glad Villenueve and his vision found the light of day.

The Old One

The Old One

SM's totally incorrect. It's a scapegoat, nothing more.

Drukathi

Drukathi

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on May 15, 2019, 09:31:01 PM
Quote from: Ridley Scott"It went straight up there, and we discovered from it that [the fans] were really frustrated. They wanted to see more of the original [monster] and I thought he was definitely cooked, with an orange in his mouth. So I thought: 'Wow, OK, I'm wrong'.""The fans, in a funny kind of way – they're not the final word – but they are the reflection of your doubts about something," Scott explains, "and then you realise 'I was wrong' or 'I was right'. I think that's where it comes in. I think you're not sensible if you don't actually take [the fans' reaction] into account."

So he gave us f*cking Aliens on the next round.

We all know about Ridley's words about xeno, but how about any Ridley's quotes and/or explanations about characters?

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on May 14, 2019, 01:40:00 AM
Prometheus was great.  Grand in its successes and shortcomings.  Love it.

Yes, I want to see the conclusion of the prequels as well.  After Covenant, it is for me more about closure than about being excited to be honest.

Agree. Prometheus has more inspiration.  I love Covenant, but it looks like - FINISH THE STORY.

The Old One

The Old One

It's grand and epic, but written poorly without focus and it's obvious.

Perfect-Organism

It accomplishes what it intends to do - give a glimpse into much greater and grander horrors.

The Old One

The Old One

I am certain it intended to be good and intelligent, and failed.

Rankles75

Quote from: The Old One on May 18, 2019, 04:37:20 PM

Yeah, if you're trying to make an intelligent film, it helps to have characters who don't act like complete morons.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: The Old One on May 18, 2019, 04:37:20 PM

Who knows?  I think on some level it was making fun of itself, and the fact that it's forced to be a horror film.  Everything about Fifield and Milburn felt self-aware.  It was caught somewhere in between being serious yet campy, horrific yet funny, surprising yet predictable.  Is it tropey?  yes.  But it knows it is.  It's like the film groans and says, "we have to do this, here we go"...  Maybe it's a bad, burned out attitude, but it's stopped bothering me long ago.

The Old One

The Old One

That's the thing though, the film didn't have to do anything. As other recent intelligent horror films have shown, such as It Comes At Night, The Witch and Under The Skin.

Defying audience expectations is alright, as long as you have something of substance to replace it with. Prometheus' fault is it didn't. For heaven's sake, some of the dialogue alone: "Half a billion lightyears." -So barely out of our solar system Meredith Vickers?

Doesn't exactly encourage the audience to engage with the lofty questions the film poses when they can't believe in the world because of it's lack of logic, or a solid character to attach to, and I don't mean attach to as in care for, I mean believable characterisation.

The clearest example I can think of is that Prometheus wants us to believe, that both Fifield and Millburn are intelligent scientists early on- poking fun at the mission's ridiculous premise. (While using "Darwinism" as terminology, oh Lord.) Ok, but then later on wants us to believe they're idiots- neither is an unattainable goal. But which is it Prometheus?

Don't get me started on how hard it is to take a antagonist (The Pathogen) seriously when it's "power" is so inconsistent and dependant upon what the plot requires, it doesn't make your antagonists or protagonists impressive or respectable. You respect them whenever they do everything right and still fail.

Axe

Sorry to resurrect this topic but...is this still a thing? No news at all?

Voodoo Magic

razeak

Patiently waiting for news......got excited for a moment lol.

Prometheus is pretty at least.

The deacon/trilobite design didn't hold my interest.

Dumb characters didn't help either. It's a shame because the actual performances in the film are good to excellent.

Huggs

Perhaps someday darkness will shine upon the alien franchise once again.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed