Would you feel better if Newt and Hicks survived?

Started by Kradan, Feb 10, 2019, 08:15:19 AM

Would you feel better about this?

Yes
33 (45.8%)
No
39 (54.2%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Author
Would you feel better if Newt and Hicks survived? (Read 32,155 times)

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SM on Jul 26, 2019, 12:35:22 AMI think if you're able to ignore the ridiculous premise, marines shooting Aliens on a crashing Sulaco is much more exciting than anything in Requiem.

The trouble I had was that the entire set up of ACM was nonsensical. Secret W-Y military base on LV-426, yet everything is covered in the W-Y logo. Taking the Sulaco back there for no reason, literally leading the USCM to your door. Keeping Hicks around for interrogation despite the fact you clearly know a hell of a lot more about the Alien than he ever did. I could go on and on, but there's really no level on which that game's story stands up to scrutiny. The hysterically awful contrivance it pulled to resurrect Hicks was just the cherry on the turd cake.

Requiem may be ass (I literally hate that film) but even so I still think it stands up better to inspection on its own terms.

JokersWarPig

All of ACM's faults, as ridiculous as some of them are (I have a particular problem with PMC's wearing white armor) are still better than putting aliens in a suburb imo

HuDaFuK

And putting them in a suburb is better than putting them in a colony that we were literally told got completely vaporised :P

JokersWarPig

hey, I admit it's faults lol. Its by no means logical and is only fan service

razeak

For me AVP:R is the bigger disgrace, because I hold the film medium to a slightly higher level of expectation. Film doesn't have players actively mucking about the environment. I'll take the colony surviving over that terrible Predalien design, teen drama, and warrior pizza delivery boys any day.  It's easier to lie to myself about why the colony is there (most of the energy went up lol).

SM

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 26, 2019, 03:16:21 PM
Quote from: SM on Jul 26, 2019, 12:35:22 AMI think if you're able to ignore the ridiculous premise, marines shooting Aliens on a crashing Sulaco is much more exciting than anything in Requiem.

The trouble I had was that the entire set up of ACM was nonsensical. Secret W-Y military base on LV-426, yet everything is covered in the W-Y logo. Taking the Sulaco back there for no reason, literally leading the USCM to your door. Keeping Hicks around for interrogation despite the fact you clearly know a hell of a lot more about the Alien than he ever did. I could go on and on, but there's really no level on which that game's story stands up to scrutiny. The hysterically awful contrivance it pulled to resurrect Hicks was just the cherry on the turd cake.

Requiem may be ass (I literally hate that film) but even so I still think it stands up better to inspection on its own terms.

I'm simply talking in terms of spectacle.

Still Collating...

I love that this turned into a "which is worse?" contest. So I'll give my personal list, from top to bottom:

AVP:R - ridiculous, bad setting, like very bad setting but I find fun moments personally, some cool Alien on Predator action even though the Aliens weren't treated with respect. Except that Aliens on Earth in the present day in a town, nothing too lore breaking. That's a plus.

A:CM - even more ridiculous, but I don't completely hate it cause it's a game and not a movie, basically all the reasons HuDaFuK has given, but I did enjoy the story DLC somewhat and I had a blast with the multiplayer while it was still alive. Bug Hunt is also fun, spent many hours of my life with this game. That's why I'll call it trash, but fun trash. The Hicks thing was trash, though the Turk gag we got out of it is worth it. Sci Fi settings are cool, the atmosphere was nice, but the Sulaco, Hicks and Hadley's Hope was lore breaking. Can't take it seriously canon.

The Predator - I'm not even gonna repeat all the problems I had with it, but in short. I had no fun in watching it and have no desire to rewatch it which is a first for me. Kinda/almost lore breaking stuff, the retcon they tried was almost insulting and that legendary ending with it's now infamous alternative versions were hilarious and oh so sad at the same time.

Of course, just my opinion riddled with personal biases.

The Old One

The Old One

ACM is infinitely more insulting, in my opinion- although- just as Requiem's positive is Wolf's design and weaponry, the situation's identical as the Colonial Marine design development itself is good, as is the weaponry.
And The Predator's got the Fugitive.

Local Trouble

And AvPR has egg-barfing.

JokersWarPig

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 28, 2019, 02:48:59 AM
And AvPR has egg-barfing.

is that really a good quality though?
Kind of just a ham fisted attempt at something under the umbrella of body horror

[cancerblack]

Quote from: The Old One on Jul 28, 2019, 02:42:39 AM
ACM is infinitely more insulting, in my opinion- although- just as Requiem's positive is Wolf's design and weaponry, the situation's identical as the Colonial Marine design development itself is good, as is the weaponry.
And The Predator's got the Fugitive.

Could I ask you to elaborate how something being shitty is personally insulting? Not being cheeky, I legit don't get it.

The Old One

The Old One

It's insulting to my intelligence thinking I'll buy it's nonsense. + pre-release lies + Gearbox profiting.

Local Trouble

Does that include it making Alien 3 a better movie?

TC

Quote from: SiL on Jul 24, 2019, 08:57:35 AM
Now I want to see if you can edit Alien3 as a sequel to Alien...

Hey, give it a couple years, it could be possible!

Deepfake technology is going to mean enthusiasts will not be limited to released footage only, such as existing scenes that get rearranged, BTS material, deleted scenes, etc. I've never made one myself, but can easily imagine being frustrated by numerous little extra shots (and even whole scenes) that would suit my re-edit but just don't exist. A few more years perfecting deepfake tech (especially its ease of use) and the ready access of face and voice replacements will mean a whole new level of fidelity in remaking your favourite film just the way you want.

At that stage the studios may have to rethink turning a blind eye to what ever shows up on YouTube.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F2mwz_cnAIk

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3vHvOyZ0GbY

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DWK_iYBl8cA

TC

razeak

I would argue A:CM kept some of the spirit of the franchise. It had a few genuine franchise moments. It's a poor game regardless. AVP:R was a teen slasher flick.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed