Would you feel better if Newt and Hicks survived?

Started by Kradan, Feb 10, 2019, 08:15:19 AM

Would you feel better about this?

Yes
33 (45.8%)
No
39 (54.2%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Author
Would you feel better if Newt and Hicks survived? (Read 32,124 times)

The Old One

The Old One

I agree, overall.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: LastSurvivor92 on Mar 09, 2019, 06:33:42 PM
It's all in how you look at it. Did you want the family dynamic to continue which would of equaled more sequels or did they do the right thing in the end by bringing finality to everything? I think the latter for sure.

To me it's not about where you go, but how you got there. And the how needed some major work.

The Old One

The Old One

I disagree, it's excellent (corrections' omission) regardless.

*Shrugs*

Voodoo Magic

Even though I see problems and hold it a step down from Alien & Aliens, I still enjoy Alien3 too and hold it way above Prometheus, Covenant, and the one that shall go unnamed.  ;)

The Old One

The Old One

Fair enough, I see problems in both Alien sequels.

Voodoo Magic

That sets up an interesting question. Do you perceive  any faults in the first Alien, even in a minor degree, or is it perfect in your opinion? There's no wrong answer.  :)

The Old One

The Old One

Yes, but only aesthetic elements, Ash's head and the Alien's death. Both look goofy.

Spoiler

Aliens (1986)
The USS Sulaco abandoned.
-The Ellen Ripley first dream/nightmare sequence, superfluous.
-The Ellen Ripley/Carter Burke PTSD discussion and post-dream decision's superior.
The adult Alien's desexualization, (No Carapace) the Alien's cumbrous and amorphous now.
Rebecca Jorden's survival.
Ellen Ripley's recontextualisation.

Alien³ (1992)
The Special Effects composition. (The adult Alien, other aspects)
The Egg inclusion. (The opening's edit)
Majority Special Edition + Theatrical Version birth = Perfect version.
[close]

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Fair enough. :)

Quote from: The Old One on Mar 09, 2019, 07:19:48 PM
I don't appreciate the recontextualisation of Ripley as primarily a mother figure.

Considering all the mother imagery in Alien. The eggs. The life moving inside. The umbilical chord like tail. The penetration with Kane, and the pregnancy and birth. The ovarian looking room with the MU-TH-UR terminal. The fact they call it "Mother". Etc. It seemed a fitting continuation to me.

Rankles75

Quote from: LastSurvivor92 on Mar 09, 2019, 06:33:42 PM
Honestly if you watch the Special Edition of Alien 3 nine times out of ten you'll like it just as much as the first two. Was it a slap in the face killing off Newt and Hicks? Sure it was. Did it really matter in the long run? Not really. Most people say that they like the feeling of hopelessness and dread Fincher was able to create along the studio interference that ran within. I think Alien 3 (Special Edition) wraps up the original character of Ripley's story nicely and give's her stories end kind of a daring and "into the fire" type of vibe.

It's all in how you look at it. Did you want the family dynamic to continue which would of equaled more sequels or did they do the right thing in the end by bringing finality to everything? I think the latter for sure.

I take the middle ground myself. I think Ripley had all the finality she needed at the end of Aliens, personally. Went back to LV-426 and faced her fears, and found a surrogate daughter in Newt (as well as another alien survivor in Hicks). There were probably more stories that could have theoretically been told with those characters, but that was a perfect stopping off point for me.

To render the events of Aliens utterly redundant in the opening credits of the sequel was (as far as I'm concerned) a massively disappointing choice from Fox. I know they were antsy about continuing without Ripley, but anyone with half a brain could have come up with a solid story that didn't include her, and people would still have flocked to see it.

As for Resurrection, the less said the better...

The Old One

The Old One

Indeed, regarding Resurrection.

Violation visuals IMO, VM.

Samhain13

I recently rewatched everything. And this time their deaths bothered me more than the other times, I enjoyed Aliens's characters more this time around as well as what Cameron was trying to do with Ripley, Newt and Hicks. I don't mind how Alien 3 ended but how it got there.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 12, 2019, 03:55:34 PM
Hell, they could have given each cryotube its own personal escape pod and written the story so that only Ripley's crashed on Fury while the others didn't.

No Hicks.  No Newt.  No pointless deaths.  Ripley gets her solo adventure.  Mission accomplished.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: The Old One on Mar 09, 2019, 10:29:08 PM
The family dynamic's tedious AF.

Its more than just the family dynamic, which I do like, I liked the characters and their relationships. And after what they went through in ALIENS I didn't want them to die. And I liked how the human family contrasted with the alien's "family".

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 12, 2019, 03:55:34 PM
Hell, they could have given each cryotube its own personal escape pod and written the story so that only Ripley's crashed on Fury while the others didn't.

No Hicks.  No Newt.  No pointless deaths.  Ripley gets her solo adventure.  Mission accomplished.

I might have preferred this way.

The Old One

The Old One

The family's monotonous. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The expulsion enhances Ellen Ripley's character, it's the correct choice. 

Samhain13

We agree to disagree.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed