Started by Kradan, Feb 05, 2019, 10:28:12 PM

What is better?

The Predator
72 (55%)
AVPR
59 (45%)

Total Members Voted: 131

Author
The Predator VS AVPR (Read 53,405 times)

SiL

SiL

X-ray imaging works by basically drawing an outline of where x-rays aren't in an image.

You have an emitter, a subject, and a sensor. The emitter shoots out x-rays, the subject absorbs/deflects some of the particles, and the sensor picks up what's left.

The Predator's helmet would act as the sensor, collecting x-rays from the environment to produce an image. The problem is, no natural source produces enough x-rays to show what we see, and most man-made sources don't either.

So either the Predator sees a highly enhanced x-ray image, or it could be some kind of spiffy augmented reality image based on information from a number of inputs giving a virtual view of something's insides.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

I'm not a geek of imaging devices, so I'll be listening in the corner while I'm taking note.

Quote from: StrangeShape on Jun 16, 2020, 02:09:42 PM
On the audio commentary Anderson said he intentionally have all the predators at the end unmasked so they wont see the embryo so its not a plothole if no one is wearing a mask, merely a question why

Well, it would be a smart move once they recovered the body of one of their comrades from an Aliens hatchery built by them. For security I mean. I think is a case of plot convenience, for the sake of cliffhanger, and is not by any means a big deal anyway. :P

The Predalien had to be born for the last shot no matter what.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Quote from: SM on Jun 16, 2020, 09:29:50 PM
Is it possible to fit a nuke in the wrist thingo along with everything else the wrist thingo does?

Is it a nuke though?  :laugh:
Seems more like some energy based explosion. But like I said, this is a species that is using all manner of tech so me nitpicking is kind of pointless  :P

Quote from: SiL on Jun 17, 2020, 03:54:10 AM
X-ray imaging works by basically drawing an outline of where x-rays aren't in an image.

You have an emitter, a subject, and a sensor. The emitter shoots out x-rays, the subject absorbs/deflects some of the particles, and the sensor picks up what's left.

The Predator's helmet would act as the sensor, collecting x-rays from the environment to produce an image. The problem is, no natural source produces enough x-rays to show what we see, and most man-made sources don't either.

So either the Predator sees a highly enhanced x-ray image, or it could be some kind of spiffy augmented reality image based on information from a number of inputs giving a virtual view of something's insides.

Yeah, sounds about right.
I heard they shouldn't be able to see infared like that either as it would fry their brains or something. When they are unmaske that is I think.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jun 17, 2020, 10:16:25 AM
Seems more like some energy based explosion.
... that's what a nuke is.

... and every other kind of explosion. The rapid release of energy from chemical reactions in conventional explosives, or nuclear reactions in nukes.

QuoteI heard they shouldn't be able to see infared like that either as it would fry their brains or something. When they are unmaske that is I think.
No. Animals on Earth sense prey in infrared (notably snakes). And things like mantis shrimp see in many more wavelengths of light than humans and most animals. Infrared is just light that has less energy than red on the visible light spectrum, it wouldn't fry your brain.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

I meant more like plasma, so poor choice of words on my part.

I know that, but I mean in how it sees exactly, apparently it shouldn't be able to. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_IWaxuARP0

SiL

SiL

I love that guy's stuff.

At the end he says their eyes would have to be designed differently and use cells and proteins not known on Earth -- not that it would necessarily be impossible, just require some truly, well, entirely alien biology.

So definitely unlikely, but not strictly out of the question.

He does say they'd be fried if they could naturally see in ultraviolet, though :P

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

I suppose its possible that the infared thing might be artificially induced to make them better trackers. Though I kind of hate the whole self upgrading storyling that The Predator pushed.

I like his videos too, very entertaining and fascinating.

SiL

SiL

Again, he doesn't say that seeing in infrared is necessarily impossible -- just outside of Earth biology, and probably not ideal.

You could say that maybe they sense heat like a snake and that their eyes serve a slightly different purpose like depth perception and that what we see is just making their alien senses comprehensible to us.

... or that they have alien eyes adapted to see infrared and just leave it at that because it's cool and why not.

Iseijin

Iseijin

Congratulations to AvP:R on its promotion up the bad movie ladder.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

You just wait. AvP:R will grow on you like a fine brandy!

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jun 18, 2020, 08:58:44 PM

I feel like you just insulted brandy

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

I think it's more like cheap tequila. It's shit, but sometimes a lot of fun.

Stitch

Stitch

More like a mould.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

For me AVPR is actually better. It at least tries to be something, like a horror movie, or a new version of Critters. Its awful but its still a monsters in a small town kind of a flick. The Predator..oh boy, this along with Maximum Overdrive and a new version of Children of the Corn must be one of the worst movies ever made. Realy, all i was thinking throughout this movie was how an adult person could write this or even greenlight it

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Jun 18, 2020, 09:25:35 PM

I feel like you just insulted brandy

:laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed