Started by Kradan, Feb 05, 2019, 10:28:12 PM

What is better?

The Predator
72 (55%)
AVPR
59 (45%)

Total Members Voted: 131

Author
The Predator VS AVPR (Read 54,549 times)

SM

SM

Maybe he means the artifacts from AvP...?

And I'm not sure which lore it broke.

judge death

judge death

Quote from: SM on Jul 26, 2020, 10:47:55 AM

Yep, in AVPR they show the alien tail spear that was used in the first AVP movie and several references although, tying in the movie to the avp movies.

With the lore:
the whole idea of predators are waiting for earth to get warmer and preparing for invasion and have higher science than shown earlier with them now playing with genes changing and the whole idea of them just coming to earth to hunt as a lifestyle is out of the window and the see a child as the ultimate weapon and will use his genes of autism to improve themself for a upcoming invasion. And the normal predator is a joke now as super predators is the new thing and what the predator society is now.
A reason why many predator fans felt hit in the face by this movie.

PAS Spinelli

PAS Spinelli

AvP lore was never good tbh, making the aliens part of Predator culture and bred only ot be killed is such an insult to the Alien franchise

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Jul 26, 2020, 04:26:36 PM
AvP lore was never good tbh, making the aliens part of Predator culture and bred only ot be killed is such an insult to the Alien franchise

I don't quite see this aspect as implausible or an insult to the Alien franchise, as long as the Aliens are still handled with respect. To me, something like David being the creator of the Xenomorph is far worse...

Samhain13

Samhain13

The fact that Predators bred aliens to hunt shows they consider them to be a worthy opponent, its the closest thing to respect Predators will ever show to another creature. Heck they are called the ultimate prey on AVP.

Next to the alien being the creation of a sexually frustrated android with daddy issues that mixed space goo with wasps to make up for not having a willy... AVP lore doesn't seem that bad. Most of the time Predators try to control aliens things end up getting bad for them anyway.

Stitch

Stitch

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jul 26, 2020, 07:46:40 PM

I don't quite see this aspect as implausible or an insult to the Alien franchise, as long as the Aliens are still handled with respect. To me, something like David being the creator of the Xenomorph is far worse...
Damn straight.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: judge death on Jul 26, 2020, 01:31:10 PM

Yep, in AVPR they show the alien tail spear that was used in the first AVP movie and several references although, tying in the movie to the avp movies.

With the lore:
the whole idea of predators are waiting for earth to get warmer and preparing for invasion and have higher science than shown earlier with them now playing with genes changing and the whole idea of them just coming to earth to hunt as a lifestyle is out of the window and the see a child as the ultimate weapon and will use his genes of autism to improve themself for a upcoming invasion. And the normal predator is a joke now as super predators is the new thing and what the predator society is now.

Cinematographically speaking, The Predator is a better movie than AVPR. And no, it's not because of the highest budget. Predators has the same budget than AVPR and still it's a superior film. It's bad direction.

However, I've to agree that The Predator has affected the lore in a negative way (without being a prequel  :laugh:) as you point out.

Quote from: Samhain13 on Jul 26, 2020, 08:02:04 PM
The fact that Predators bred aliens to hunt shows they consider them to be a worthy opponent, its the closest thing to respect Predators will ever show to another creature. Heck they are called the ultimate prey on AVP.

Well, at least in the first AVP that idea was well executed.

PAS Spinelli

PAS Spinelli

Neither are good, both just go to ruin the original alien movies
AvP doesn't treat the aliens with respect, sure, you can say the Predators view the aliens as worthy prey, but that doesn't change the fact they are farmed like cattle only to be killed by teenage predators

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Jul 26, 2020, 08:42:17 PM

AvP doesn't treat the aliens with respect, sure, you can say the Predators view the aliens as worthy prey, but that doesn't change the fact they are farmed like cattle only to be killed by teenage predators

"Teenage Predators" sounds feeble yet are so more formidable than humans. And remember a single human can take down a single Alien rather quickly with a decent firearm, hence why we need plot mechanisms like a maximum security prison on the "honor system" to bring some balance.

SM

SM

Quote from: judge death on Jul 26, 2020, 01:31:10 PM

With the lore:

The fact there is a 'normal Predator' in both Predators and The Predator makes it very obvious that all of Predator society isn't like that.

#notallpredators

PAS Spinelli

PAS Spinelli

Quote from: Samhain13 on Jul 26, 2020, 08:02:04 PM

Next to the alien being the creation of a sexually frustrated android with daddy issues that mixed space goo with wasps to make up for not having a willy... AVP lore doesn't seem that bad. Most of the time Predators try to control aliens things end up getting bad for them anyway.
I don't like either of those
One is a crossover where the whole premise is the predators play gods and kill aliens for fun while the other is Ridley marketing his robot story as Alien so he can get funding for it, both are bad in their own ways, tho the first AvP movie is far more enjoynable than Covenant imo
It's not cuz one is worse that the other is automatically good, the Predators farming aliens is disrespectful, and the aliens playing a core part in Predator culture isn't good either, I don't like the fact the 2 franchises need to rely on eachother lorewise, they should be able to stand on their own legs even if they exist within the same Universe

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jul 26, 2020, 08:56:29 PM
Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Jul 26, 2020, 08:42:17 PM

"Teenage Predators" sounds feeble yet are so more formidable than humans. And remember a single human can take down a single Alien rather quickly with a decent firearm, hence why we need plot mechanisms like a maximum security prison on the "honor system" to bring some balance.

A single human can also take out a Predator with a good weapon, difference is, the weapons that we see killing the aliens quickly are usually futuristic weapons, with the only exception being Hick's shotgun. The Pulse Rifles for example use light armor piercing rounds with explosive tips, those do kill aliens. In the same movie we see a pistol which uses "normal" rounds, and the pistol did manage to penetrate and kinda kill an alien at point blank(after emptying the entire clip in it), but from any other distance we see the normal bullets straight up bouncing off their skin and doing no damage whatsoever.
I could also use Alien Isolation as a point of reference but everything most stuff in it relating to weapons is mostly for gameplay rather than lore, then again shooting it with weapons does make charge at you more aggressively in the game.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Jul 26, 2020, 09:07:26 PM]
A single human can also take out a Predator with a good weapon, difference is, the weapons that we see killing the aliens quickly are usually futuristic weapons, with the only exception being Hick's shotgun.

And that's a big exception. But it really comes to intelligence and the Xenomorph's lack thereof. I'm not saying the Alien is deprived of intelligence... cutting the power etc.... but I equate this all to man versus beast. Why man is able to defeat the lion is the weapons man creates, the technology they create. Their minds make them superior. You strip a human down and they are no match for the lion. And the same goes with the Predator versus the Alien, albeit they're tougher than humans. But Predators' ability to craft tools, weapons, etc give them a gigantic imbalance of power over the Xenomorph. And that's why I don't see the Yautja breeding Aliens, and paying for it often severely, as an insult.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Humans were able to breed aliens in AR anyway. The concept isn't exclusive to AVP.

judge death

judge death

Well if we take the novel and some indications in the covenant movie: David didnt create the xenomorph, he just found it from the engineers and tried to replicate it but as we saw in the movie, its more a proto xenomorph as the eggs looks differently and the creature itself has several design differences and even bigger behaviour differences and also we wont know 100% until a sequel to it comes that shows the true xenomorph being created by him and connect it to alien 1 movie. But well thats more my own headcanon but it makes more sense than what the movie did so I stick with the novel and other sources, making covenant far more enjoyable then :P

PAS Spinelli

PAS Spinelli

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jul 26, 2020, 09:47:24 PM
Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Jul 26, 2020, 09:07:26 PM]
A single human can also take out a Predator with a good weapon, difference is, the weapons that we see killing the aliens quickly are usually futuristic weapons, with the only exception being Hick's shotgun.

And that's a big exception. But it really comes to intelligence and the Xenomorph's lack thereof. I'm not saying the Alien is deprived of intelligence... cutting the power etc.... but I equate this all to man versus beast. Why man is able to defeat the lion is the weapons man creates, the technology they create. Their minds make them superior. You strip a human down and they are no match for the lion. And the same goes with the Predator versus the Alien, albeit they're tougher than humans. But Predators' ability to craft tools, weapons, etc give them a gigantic imbalance of power over the Xenomorph. And that's why I don't see the Yautja breeding Aliens, and paying for it often severely, as an insult.

Not a big exception, the shotgun in question was inside the Alien's mouth, and shotguns are pretty destructive.

Aliens are shown to be way, way smarter than what you are saying, knowing how our tech works, being able to understand what we are trying to say like in Aliens, learning how we think and learning from theirs mistakes, the whole point is that they aren't just beasts, they are more than that, they aren't just animals, I mean, we have characters saying stuff like this only to be killed later for a reason lol

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Alien and Predator, what I don't like is how Alien Vs Predator has been executed so far (You and me both know how AvP badly affected the Preds and their faces), I just feel like both haven't had a proper versus yet, specially since most of them resort around Preds wanting to hunt, I would love to have a horror story from the point of view from a lone Predator on an alien infested colony, thinking he was going in for only a human hunt.
I love both Franchises almost equally and I want them to have a proper clash, I also think Predator lore is better off without the aliens and vice versa. Having the Xenos be this unknown and super rare dangerous species is way better than them being easily found and farmable. And having the Predators be this xenophobic and secretive species that hunts warriors from more primitive societies for sport, rituals and honor (NOT for DNA and autism.), having numerous clans that at times are at war is way better than what we got in 2018, luckily for us Predator is being fixed atm, we can only hope Alien also gets a lore revamp like Pred is getting.
Again, I love both Alien and Predator, just wish both were treated better, they were both my childhood back in 2005, I remember watching AvP and liking it when I was around 6 years old. My old man would go on to introduce me to the original movies, still remember him bringing a copy of Predator 2 home when he came back from a work trip, good times

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed