What did the predator species evolve from?

Started by acrediblesource, Jan 28, 2019, 11:42:42 PM

Author
What did the predator species evolve from? (Read 4,638 times)

acrediblesource

acrediblesource

Looking for some answers. Did they have some sort of earlier primordial form? How did they gravitate to wearing masks and developing more modern technological weapons? You can't get from masks and spears to laser canons, infrared and energy based explosives without some kind of evolution. Who gave them the tech?

and pre-dating their current form, did they have an even earlier form like how humans species may have been an adaptable Ape species?

Wysps

I'd be very surprised if there wasn't some sort of "earlier primordial form", and if I were to hazard a guess, it'd probably be aquatic or reptilian in nature (well, their planet's version of said groups).  I don't have any interesting theories to offer, but I'd be interested in reading other people's thoughts!

Oasis Nadrama

As important as it is to point out the relative absurdity of a space-travel stage species still using claws and spears, let's not forget our current Earth culture is FILLED with this kind of surreal mix.

Castle Lake Garda, in Italy, with contemporary surroundings.

Uniforms and traditional swords of the École Polytechnique, an elite military school in France.

So the fact Predators still have some "primitive" weaponry and equipment should not mislead us. They can very well have developed the technology themselves.

acrediblesource

The technology itself looks like its based off it them being able to use it in the most simplistic of ways (since they aren't really language proficient). It leads me to believe they may have enslaved a race that were like humans early in their history possible on their home planet and somehow continued to do so until they achieved their universe dominance.
They couldn't be synthetics unless they were visiting their planet. It rules  out a Weyland Yutani type of thing.

Oasis Nadrama

Quote from: acrediblesource on Jan 29, 2019, 12:56:23 AMsince they aren't really language proficient

We don't know that. Maybe they speak like twenty Predator languages each.

We only know they don't learn English, or this particular individual hunting in Guatemala didn't learn English. This could mean anything: that he was lazy, that he didn't care about the language of the species he hunted (do you care about the language of deers?), that there's a religious interdiction to use a prey's language, or ethnocentric arrogance, etc.

Naginata

Some alien animal on the predator home world, obviously. I don't understand why people find this so hard to grasp.

Samhain13

Wysps

That is the exact picture I was thinking of when I read the first post. That little tail is adorable can't help it  :-X

acrediblesource

I imagined something more like a human crab face look for the primoral. No where near like this apish thing but whatever.

They could have had more reptilian like features.

But the prior pose said that we didn't know they could learn englihs....well just look at that face. you think it be learning french and the other romantic languages anytime soon? Ok, the human tongue is not the predators forte, it needs to basically mimicks it like a parot. You don't see king sized lips on parots do you?

Naginata

Naginata

I always pictured their more 'recent' ancestor being vaguely baboon-like in terms of body plan. Their heads were longer and flatter, their mandibles waaaay bigger, and their dreads shorter and more bristly (think porcupine quills). The feet would be interesting - presumably that weird "heel-toe" would have been used for something - gripping branches. maybe?

well just look at that face. you think it be learning french and the other romantic languages anytime soon? Ok, the human tongue is not the predators forte, it needs to basically mimicks it like a parot

What on Earth do their faces have to do with language comprehension? They can understand language just fine. This isn't debatable; we see them talk to each other, mimic human speech in a way that suggests a degree of comprehension, use a writing system... They can't easily speak Earth languages because Earth languages are, by their very nature, designed to be spoken by humans.

EDIT: Also, I don't get why people are so attached to the idea of someone 'giving' them technology. No one needs to 'give' them anything; they invented it like we did.

Wysps

I'd guess that some people have a hard time fathoming a species capable of complex civilization and space travel purposefully opting to continue their traditional ways of living and hunting. Or because in order to even create a civilization, there needs to be an element of empathy that appears to be missing from the Predators (save for a short scene in AVP:R). They've been portrayed as solitary and self-sufficient.

But that doesn't necessarily mean that they don't have empathy for each other in some way. I've thought about them stealing technology in the past in order to get where they are now. Granted, it's not been addressed in any media. It would add another element to their story and make them maybe a little more complex, but it's definitely not out of reason that they'd simply choose to continue their traditions even though they don't need to. Humans do the exact same f**king thing.

Naginata

I mean, they're aliens; it makes sense that their civilization developed differently. Actually, it's not even that different - humans trophy hunt, practice religion, wear traditional dress, etc. The emphasis on certain facets of their civilization is different, sure, but that's to be expected.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: Wysps on Feb 03, 2019, 03:35:59 PM
I'd guess that some people have a hard time fathoming a species capable of complex civilization and space travel purposefully opting to continue their traditional ways of living and hunting.

I see them as having a very conservative society, bound by strict Clan loyalties and unbreakable taboos. They were able to achieve a great level of technological advancement while preserving their ancient cultural values, never forgetting where they came from.

Quote from: Wysps on Feb 03, 2019, 03:35:59 PM
I've thought about them stealing technology in the past in order to get where they are now. Granted, it's not been addressed in any media.

One novel seemed to imply they stole some stuff, while on the games their technology seems to hold some sentimental value, as they were offended to see humans mess with their more high tech stuff. I don't think they would react that way if it was just something they stole from some random alien species.

The Old One

The Old One

Well, in the games they do- but in the movies; The Predator & Predator 2- they seem to not give a shit. Leaving stuff at their ass everywhere they go.

Quote from: Samhain
I see them as having a very conservative society, bound by strict Clan loyalties and unbreakable taboos.

OOPS

Samhain13

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed