Gladiator II

Started by Ingwar, Nov 01, 2018, 07:58:58 PM

Author
Gladiator II (Read 51,129 times)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jan 09, 2024, 01:50:40 PMSo the injury didn't happen on the Gladiator 2 set:

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1744717122930896925

That's like so disappointing to hear. He should have lied and said a rhino charged him on the Gladiator set.  ;D

Ingwar

Ingwar

QuoteRidley Scott's "Napoleon" was revered by the British critics and scored well at the European box office, but it found a muted stateside response. (The Metascore is 64 — respectable but not stellar.) During the awards race (ballots are due January 16 at 5 PM PT), the movie scored well with crafts — but the Golden Globes nominated Joaquin Phoenix for "Beau is Afraid," not "Napoleon."

All of this leaves the 86-year-old filmmaker waiting a while longer to return to the Best Director circle; his fourth nomination was in 2016 for "The Martian." He caught up with us on Zoom at his vacation home in Provence before he wraps the last few weeks of post production on "Gladiator 2," which will be released Thanksgiving weekend. He likes to skirt around some questions.

Anne Thompson: You've got to finish "Gladiator 2?"

Ridley Scott: This house belongs to a general Robert of Napoleon's army. I didn't know when I got it. I've been here 29 years. It's a holiday house. But sometimes I do quite a lot of work and writing here. So I find it restful. No one bothers you, so you get locked down. I've now finished almost 85 percent of "Gladiator." We were interrupted by the strike, so I lost four months. Otherwise, right now I'd be mixing it. I went back about four weeks ago after the strike and nearly finished before Christmas and I've got to go back 10 days to finish. It's a real pain.

So 23 years after the first "Gladiator," are we taking up 23 years later?

Ridley Scott: Without giving away too much of the plot, the word is out. It really boils down to whatever happened to Lucius [Spencer Treat Clark]. Lucius was the survivor of the first one, which people forgot, fortunately. Lucius was the son of Lucilla; he disappeared at the end because there's no reason to follow him. And we utilize that as a device to say what happened and where did we go next?

The actor is Paul Mescal.

Ridley Scott: Yes. I got lucky. I happened to be watching "Normal People." And I thought, "Who is this guy?" So I got lucky. He's got what it takes.

We didn't know that he was an athletic, muscular guy.

Ridley Scott: No, I did. He used to play Irish rugby, which is about as violent as it gets.

https://www.indiewire.com/awards/consider-this/ridley-scott-napoleon-gladiator-2-interview-1234943960/

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Mala'kak

Mala'kak

So I'm hearing that this has has now wrapped up filming and is supposed to be coming in November.

Can anyone verify this?

Nightmare Asylum

Ingwar

Ingwar

Wweyland

Wweyland

Where's the spin-off Gladiator game?

Ingwar

Ingwar

It's called Rome: Total War ;D

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Times of MaltaThe Malta Film Commission, through Screen Malta, last week announced that the set of Gladiator 2 will be opening its doors to the public for an open day this Sunday, with guests being offered a guided tour of the fort.

The Gladiator set, where photos have been restricted, includes a reproduction of the Roman Colosseum and several portions of an imperial palace set.

Other set pieces on display include an armoury, prisons, catacombs, an ancient and triumphal arch, a round temple and a colonnade.

https://timesofmalta.com/articles/view/strictly-prohibited-photos-gladiator-2-set-banned-open-day.1079139

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

QuoteThis was the only time that the public will get to see the set in person as it is set to be demolished on Monday.  Photo: Matthew Mirabelli
Quote from: Times of MaltaPublic transported to Roman times day before Gladiator 2 set is dismantled

People clad in hoodies and jeans on Sunday time-travelled to ancient times as the set of the new Gladiator film opened to the public. 

While people and the media were allowed to tour Fort Ricasoli and the Malta Film Studios in Kalkara, just a day before the set is dismantled, no one was allowed to take photos of the Gladiator set.

The open day comes as filming of the upcoming Ridley Scott epic concluded this week in Malta.  During filming, Fort Ricasoli was transformed into Ancient Rome, complete with the Colosseum, Forum and Senate.

"We felt like we were back in Roman times: the props and scenography were so interesting," one of the visitors, Simon Camilleri, said at the Kalkara fortification. 

Many who spoke to Times of Malta said they were impressed by the set for the sequel to the 2000 epic Gladiator.

"Everything you see seems real: you wouldn't know it was fake - they (producers) deserve praise," Joe Balzan, who was visiting the set with his wife Mary Rose, told Times of Malta. 

Robert Caruana was impressed with the size of the sets. "The scale of it is impressive," he said. 

Another visitor, Rosario Mizzi, was impressed with the detail: "What I like the most is the attention to detail. There are small pieces of graffiti, for example. Even though it's something really small, they still included it".

Many people who visited on Sunday were seeing the set for the first and last time, but Joselyn Blandon said she knows the place well as she played an extra in the film.

"I was playing a Roman citizen - my costume was amazing: my dress was long, and they did my makeup and hair every day. It was... wow," Blandon said. 

"We started every day at 5am until 4pm or 5pm: they were long days," Blandon said, adding she was the only Ecuadorian on set.

Andres Anaya from Colombia said he was hoping to meet Denzel Washington, but did not manage to see him on set.

The Gladiator set is open to the public until 5pm on Sunday. 

Guided tours in English and Maltese are being held every 20 minutes, and there is a free shuttle service from the Cospicua Ferry to the set. 

Besides the set of Gladiator at Fort Ricasoli, the Malta film studios - right next to it is also open to the public.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: ColliderFilming 'Gladiator 2' Was Like Performing Theater, Says Fred Hechinger

Fred Hechinger loved working alongside the master director for the long-awaited sequel.

Ridley Scott's distinctive filming techniques, including the use of multiple cameras, contribute to the cinematic experience and provide more choices in the editing process.

The use of multiple cameras enhances visual storytelling and allows for greater coverage of scenes in Scott's films.

Actors on the set of Gladiator 2 described the filming process as theatrical and exciting, creating a unique and connective experience that is difficult to put into words.

Ridley Scott is a master of filmmaking at this stage of his life and career and a reason for that is his highly distinctive way of shooting and covering his films. The director is renowned for his filming techniques which he feels contribute enormously both to the cinematic experience of his films, as well as giving him more choice and variety in the editing process. A notable aspect of his approach is the use of multiple cameras during filming.

Scott will often employ multiple cameras — as many as eight — simultaneously to capture various angles and perspectives, enhancing the visual storytelling. This technique allows for greater coverage of a scene, providing a rich array of shots to choose from during editing, and contributes to the dynamic and immersive quality of his films. This was, once again, the case for his latest film — Gladiator 2 — which just wrapped production last week.

One of its stars, Fred Hechinger, has been speaking about acting for Scott and his overall experience on Gladiator 2 while in an interview with Collider's Steve Weintraub, on the promotional trail for his new project, Thelma, alongside June Squibb and Clark Gregg. While talking at the film's premiere junket at Sundance, Hechinger described Scott's process as theatrical, reminding him of when he would perform on stage, and added that it was "amazing" to film. He said:

Quote"It's amazing. I mean, the eight cameras reminds me of theater because you have an entire environment that's created in camera. But I have to say, what's amazing, too, is when something feels alive it feels alive in unique but connective ways. So, when something's really special, what we're doing here, when you start to find a rhythm, again, if I'm lucky, I feel connected to that feeling of when I started doing plays. I've never been able to put a name to whatever that weird feeling is, but you just get a sense of it".

Gregg remarked that the feeling he felt was something akin to "I hope they're getting this." Hechinger agreed, saying "Yeah, yeah! I hope they're rolling", before adding, "There's something that you can't put your finger on that's within the moment, of the moment, in the moment. We spend all this time hanging out, and first off, you make real friends, which is an amazing part." He continued, saying, "And then you also, within the scenes, you find something that you cannot name. And all the intensity of that set breeds that, and all the kind of gentleness of this one breeds that. I always find that the process becomes the product, and so, however it's designed is built to bring out and nurture and kind of speak to that story that it's trying to tell".

https://collider.com/gladiator-2-ridley-scott-fred-hechinger/

Ingwar

Ingwar

Ingwar

Ingwar

QuoteWhat makes Dariusz such a valuable collaborator?

He copes with me! My pressure on Dariusz is huge. He has to be able to cope with an ambition of wide shots and close shots all shot together. That's tough, [but] Dariusz is a master of that. I was a pretty good camera operator myself on 2,000 commercials, then The Duellists, then Alien. I've [always] worked very closely with a DP because frequently it's the frame that is the most important thing. After that, it's how you balance the light.

I did a thing [with multiple cameras] on American Gangster with another cameraman [Harris Savides, ASC], who was very good. I got on well with him, and he honestly did a terrific job on the film. But I started to introduce three cameras, four cameras, [and] he didn't like that. I heard him talking to the gaffer, saying, 'I can't cope with all of these cameras, what do you think?' And the gaffer said, 'Actually, I kind of enjoy it.'

I wonder how returning John Mathieson coped with multiple cameras :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed