Aliens: Resistance (Defiance sequel)

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Sep 28, 2018, 06:24:14 PM

Author
Aliens: Resistance (Defiance sequel) (Read 78,691 times)

SM

SM

Which simply reinforces that Fire & Stone isn't an exception when it comes to effects of the pathogen.

The Old One

The Old One

What?
Some of the creatures do have eyes is my point, they shouldn't. That monkey thing certainly did.

Anyway, I hope no Alien comic is like Fire and Stone in the future.
You can do the same general concept better, and it's an annoying, wasted opportunity of a reboot.

SM

SM

I didn't dispute that the stuff in F+S had eyes.  The Alien in Covenant had eye sockets, so I find the 'Pathogen the stuff makes doesn't have eyes' a little weak.

Perfect-Organism

The shark design in F&S was cool.

I honestly don't recall seeing the eye-sockets in A:C.  They were about as visible as in Alien.  Though I haven't invested too much time in watching that film.

SM

SM

They're very clear in a shot when the crane is released on the lander.  Way more than any shot in Alien.

Corporal Hicks

And it's not like Holloway's eyes suddenly disappeared in Prometheus.

But I do agree that the black goo being the ultimate do anything is annoying. It's one of the things I really dislike about it. I wish it did have some consistent rule-set aside from making Alien-like stuff. I personally find it to be an unsatisfying story tool.

Still Collating...

Agreed, I'd also like for it's limits to be defined better. That goes for movies and comics too. IMO the pathogen shouldn't be able to do anything and everything.

The Cruentus

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Nov 12, 2018, 04:38:42 AM
The shark design in F&S was cool.

I honestly don't recall seeing the eye-sockets in A:C.  They were about as visible as in Alien.  Though I haven't invested too much time in watching that film.

Still would like to know if there is an official name for those sharks.

Yeah you can see the sockets in a few shots, the crane scene like SM mentioned and I think the shower scene as well.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Still Collating... on Nov 12, 2018, 12:47:18 PM
Agreed, I'd also like for it's limits to be defined better. That goes for movies and comics too. IMO the pathogen shouldn't be able to do anything and everything.

Maybe they just made a bad batch and that is what the engineers were running away from 2000 years ago?  That would explain why the goo went haywire.

David probably dumped the "good batch" on the engineers in Covenant.  He had time to learn of their ways.

I really liked Prometheus for that feeling of not knowing what was going to happen next.  It was that same feeling as seeing Kane and crew walk into the derelict the first time.  There was a sense of majesty, and awe which was somehow lost in Covenant.

The Old One

The Old One

Xenomrph

Quote from: The Old One on Nov 12, 2018, 02:34:16 AM
Refusing to give this Pathogen any defined limits and using it to push the story-
That's just bad storytelling IMO. The worst kind, use it to solve any problem- create any environment or any monster,
or enhance anyone.
It's just nonsense. Prometheus is guilty too, but F & S is worse in this regard.

"Not knowing what ______ is capable of" is one of the core tenets of 'Alien', and is a huge part of what made it scary. The more "defined" the monster got, the less scary it got. The Black Goo is no exception. If you get some splashed on you, who knows what it's going to do? Are you going to mutate into a monster and sprout 4 more arms? Are 27 more eyes going to appear all over your body? Are you going to turn to ash if anyone dares snap their fingers near you? Will it make you split into a perfect duplicate of yourself and make you fist-fight yourself? Is it going to transform you into a hermit crab? All of the above, at the same time?

I understand the perspective that it's lazy writing, but "who knows what it can do?" is kind of the point.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 12, 2018, 09:00:21 AM
And it's not like Holloway's eyes suddenly disappeared in Prometheus.
Or Fifeld's.

Nostromo

Quote from: The Old One on Nov 07, 2018, 07:42:46 PM
Both:

That's a sweet Alien. Where's the drawing from?

Love the head, aren't the pipe spines bigger on the original?

toro

toro

that is yet another wonderful panel that tristan jones drew.

The Old One

The Old One

@Nostromo

Instagram.

The dorsal appendages? No.
The "headrest" - Yes.

Perfect-Organism

The dorsal appendages are out of proportion but the illustration is awesome.

Ive often thought about how the dorsal appendages would affect the Alien in a fight.  Firstly, the lengthy head gives a lot of leverage to twist the alien's neck.  Secondly, the minute the alien tilts his head, he's stuck on the central dorsal fin, or even unable to turn his head.

Sooo.... for me, it's basically one uppercut, and then I reach around to grab the back of the head and keep it stuck among the dorsal arrangement.  Got him!

Arrgh!  The tail!  Between my legs!  Owww!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed