Can we just forget about the Predator Hierarchy?

Started by Jigsaw85, Jun 14, 2018, 11:32:59 PM

Author
Can we just forget about the Predator Hierarchy? (Read 8,092 times)

Wysps

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jun 26, 2018, 04:07:27 PM
Personally I am on the fence about it, on one hand, I think having respect (which would come with a tad bit of honor) is what seperates them from the indiscriminate killing machines that is the Xenomorphs, it gives them some character, on the other hand, I don't want them humanized. While it was pretty horrible that those predator went after the family and even killed the dog, it make sense for another species not to regard another with any emotion, especially a species that it regularly hunts. Its not evil either, to them its completely normal which is natural, I mean actual hunters on earth don't give much thought about their kills, no matter what it is, yet they all friendly with their fellow huntsman and brag about their trophies.
Same goes for food, I never think about cows, chickens or anything else I eat, its just food to me, so a stronger predatory species will likely feel nothing for us unless we get its attention. Kind of like how we hold respect for dangerous animals that could poison us.

Yes, and even then it's more "recognition" then anything else.  I just think the Predator species is too awesome on its own to make them completely like humans psychologically.  If fans want interactions between Predator/Predator or Predator/Human (which I definitely do to a certain extent), I think it can happen but on their terms - in their own way.  I'm fine with a Predator that we don't truly understand  :)  But I'd like to think they have a certain degree of empathy to keep them from, like you said, becoming indiscriminate killing machines.

EJA

I am wondering how this movie will affect the expanded mythology of the Predator, particularly when it comes to

Spoiler
The Predators hunting for DNA, and genetically upgrading themselves
[close]

skull-splitter

I hope it's only a portion of the race that does this.

The Shuriken

I've always liked the hierarchy aspect of their race. Always will.

yautjapet

Quote from: skull-splitter on Jun 26, 2018, 09:06:53 PM

Agreed. I could tolerate it, I think... like if it was just Upgrade, for example... but having it be standard practice for the entire species would seriously bother me. I admit I'm a fan of the hierarchy, honor, all that.

OpenMaw

It's not standard practice. Given how Upgrade is interacting with the other Predators.

Huggs

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jun 27, 2018, 12:41:49 AM
It's not standard practice. Given how Upgrade is interacting with the other Predators.

He's got that roid rage goin' on.

What if this is all part of some long-running intergalactic game of tag? And he's taking it way too seriously?

OpenMaw

Quote from: Huggs on Jun 27, 2018, 04:08:19 AM
He's got that roid rage goin' on.

Chad is the Ivan Drago of Predators.

"I must break you."

Quote from: Huggs on Jun 27, 2018, 04:08:19 AM

What if this is all part of some long-running intergalactic game of tag? And he's taking it way too seriously?

Just imagine when Predator Dodgeball get's out of hand.

Samhain13

Quote from: Jigsaw85 on Jun 14, 2018, 11:32:59 PM
none of the films even use it.

Indeed, most of it was either mentioned off screen by directors or expanded by the fandom.

In regards to the marking, different clans, different rituals or none at all. The mark means something in the clan from AVP. The clan from Predator 2, Predators, The Predator now as well I guess, they are from a different group, different ships, so not related to them. Wolf probably had the mark in one of his dozen masks.

Yautja_Warrior

I've always liked that aspect to be honest, makes them something more than just mindless beasts.

They are clearly intelligent creatures, hunting with some sort of honour code (not killing unarmed / non threats) so them having a tribe like hierarchy isn't totally out of place.

I guess the best thing about the movies is, they kinda hint at it but leave it open, so you can ignore it if you don't like it.

skull-splitter

It's the hint of it that makes it interesting, not the detailing I guess.

OpenMaw

When it turns into pages and pages of explanation about how their culture works, yeah.

Or the notion that they all adhere to the exact same rules.

Xenomrph

Quote from: skull-splitter on Jun 26, 2018, 09:06:53 PM

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jul 01, 2018, 12:42:12 AM
When it turns into pages and pages of explanation about how their culture works, yeah.

Or the notion that they all adhere to the exact same rules.

This right here. The easiest way to "reconcile" the myriad depictions of Predator society, beliefs, hunting customs, whatever, is that they're not a homogeneous species (you know, like humans). There may be some things that are sort of broadly agreed upon among all Predators (hunting is cool), but the nuances of it are not universal.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

It is like you can say JH and CH only go after armed folk and enjoy the challenge of being on another's territory (apparently the novel (I think) says that CH had the recordings from JH's mask and was motivated by that, so he is intentionally following his style a little) so they are similar but the Superpreds, while enjoying hunting as well, prefer unsporting methods by utilizing more technology and kidnapping game so the preds can have the home field advantage.

The intentions and methods are different too. JH and CH are just enjoying the hunt and challenge, but using slightly different methods, subtly and "one at a time" for JH and more engaging and melee style for CH, while the super preds just want to self improve and make themselves into more efficient killers. They all hunt but there are differences, some subtle and others much more obvious.

skull-splitter

In gaming terms that makes them cheaters, and all the more reason I don't like them in concept.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed