Top Ten Sci-Fi Movie Worlds

Started by Biomechanoid, Jan 19, 2018, 07:54:03 PM

Author
Top Ten Sci-Fi Movie Worlds (Read 2,422 times)

Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid

Top Ten Sci-Fi Movie Worlds

I allowed my site visitors to decide by voting for what's the number one fictional movie world. This poll was closed once it reached 1,000 votes, below are the final results.

10. Solaris (1972 & 2002)

The planet, called Solaris, is covered with a so-called "ocean" that is really a single organism covering the entire surface. The ocean shows signs of a vast but strange intelligence, which can create physical phenomena in a way that science has difficulty explaining.

9. Naboo (from Star Wars I, II, III, and VI)

Naboo is a planet in the Star Wars universe with a mostly green terrain and which is the homeworld of two societies: the Gungans who dwell in underwater cities and the humans who live in colonies on the surface. The main city and capital of Naboo is Theed. The planet Naboo is described as having a porous, plasma-rich interior without a molten core.

8. Vulcan (from Star Trek)

A dry, hostile planet in the 40 Eridani A system that is the homeworld of the Vulcan people, who are also known as Vulcanians. In the episode "Return to Tomorrow", Spock theorized that the Vulcans might be the descendants of a colony from Sargon's planet. On April 5, 2063, Vulcans and Humans made official first contact following the successful test of Earth's first warp-powered starship.

7. Altair IV (from Forbidden Planet)

During the early 23rd century, the United Planets Cruiser C-57D has been sent to the planet Altair IV, 16 light-years from Earth, to investigate the fate of a colony expedition sent 20 years earlier. Dr. Edward Morbius explains that he has been studying the Krell, the natives of Altair IV who, despite being far more advanced than humanity, had all mysteriously died in a single night.

6. Tatooine (from Star Wars I - IV, VI )

Tatooine is a desert planet in a binary star system. It once had large oceans and a world-spanning jungle, but this biosphere was destroyed when the myopic Rakata razed the planet, drying up its riverbeds and boiling away its oceans. Tatooine has two suns, as it is in a binary star system. Tatooine's G-type and K-type twin suns heat its surface, making water and shade hard to come by.

5. Future Earth (from Blade Runner)

Blade Runner became one of the most accurate predictions of a future city of any film to the extent that in the documentary made in 2000, a flight over Los Angeles was so like the film, some casual viewers even thought it was an excerpt from the movie itself.

4. LV-426 Planetoid
(from Alien and Aliens)

In Alien, Dan O'Bannon had written a script entitled Memory comprising what would become the film's opening scenes: a crew of astronauts receive a signal from a mysterious planetoid. Art Director Les Dilley created miniatures of the planetoid's surface based on H.R. Giger's designs to sculpt a desert landscape surface.

3. Coruscant (from Star Wars I - III, VI)

Coruscant, an ecumenopolis, was renamed Imperial Center during the reign of the Galactic Empire. The adjective form of the planet name is Coruscanti. Coruscant was the capital of the Old Republic, the Galactic Empire, the New Republic, the Yuuzhan Vong Empire and the Galactic Alliance at various times. Coruscant is the actual center of the galaxy, given that its hyperspace coordinates are (0,0,0).

2. Pandora Moon (from Avatar)

The Pandoran biosphere teems with a variety of bioluminescent species ranging from hexapodal animals to exotic fauna and flora. The ecology forms a vast neural network spanning the entire planetary surface into which the Na'vi can connect. Cameron employed a team of expert advisers in order to make the various examples of fauna and flora as scientifically feasible as possible.

1. Arrakis (from Dune)

Arrakis, "the dancer", originally a star-name for Mu Draconis) later Rakis (known colloquially throughout as Dune), is a desert planet home to the Fremen (Zensunni wanderers) and later, the Imperial Capital under Paul "Muad'Dib" Atreides. Arrakis is the third planet orbiting the star Canopus, and it in turn is orbited by two moons, one of which has the image of the desert kangaroo-rat, Muad'Dib, on it; the other possesses the image of a human fist.

bb-15

bb-15

I haven't thought about this question before. Thanks for posting.
OK, my list of the top 10 SF movie worlds in roughly the order of preference.
Since "Solaris" was listed, imo the world can be virtual, a visual projection or an implanted dream.

- Future earth, The Fifth Element
- LV 426, Alien / Aliens
- Virtual and physical future earth, the Matrix trilogy
- Future earth, Blade Runner
- Tatooine, Star Wars; ANH, ROTJ, TPM, AotC
- Mars, Total Recall
- Dream world, Inception
- Future earth, Metropolis
- Future earth, Brazil
- LV-223, Prometheus

Honorable mentions;
- Alien world, Dark City
- Computer world, Tron/Tron Legacy
- Underground city, THX 1138
- Comic book/movie serial world, Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

;)

Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid

Quote from: bb-15 on Jan 19, 2018, 09:43:58 PM
- Future earth, The Fifth Element - Mars, Total Recall
A note on this, TR's Mars and Fifth Element's Future Earth did get votes, just not enough to make top ten.

Scorpio

Scorpio

Io - Outland
Fury 161 - Alien 3
Krypton - Superman
The Moon - 2001:  A Space Odyssey
Aura - Planet of the Vampires
Terra XI - Spacehunter:  Adventures in the Forbidden Zone
Morganthus - Galaxy of Terror
Planet 4 - Alien Covenant
Alpha - Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
Klendathu - Starship Troopers

Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid

Again, not enough to make top ten, but Klendathu and Krypton got their share of votes.

Others that received a fair share of votes - Metaluna (from This Island Earth), Mongo (from Flash Gordon), Hades Moon (from Pitch Black), Mustafar (from Star Wars III), Romulus (from Star Trek), and a few others from Star Wars and Star Trek.

Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

Arrakis being #1 seems reasonable. Was surprised to find Coruscant, AKA Planet boredom, that high on the list. Always figured it was the least liked planet featured in Star Wars.

I'd personally probably remove it and Pandora Moon and replace them with Matrix's "Desert of the Real", and Dark City.

Edit: Oh, and bump Altair IV for New Port City (Ghost in the Shell).

SiL

SiL

Such is democratic voting, tho'.

Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid

Quote from: SiL on Jan 20, 2018, 12:23:07 AM
Such is democratic voting, tho'.

I didn't archive the numbers, but no fictional world dominated the others. A few were only a couple votes apart. Also, I speculate while some likely voted focused on the world rather than the movie, I would imagine some unknown percentage of them voted for the world of their favorite movie.

Oh and because my site is in the abyss of the internet, it took a few months just to get 1,000 votes. lol.

bb-15

bb-15

Quote from: Scorpio on Jan 19, 2018, 10:23:31 PM
Io - Outland
Fury 161 - Alien 3
Krypton - Superman
The Moon - 2001:  A Space Odyssey
Aura - Planet of the Vampires
Terra XI - Spacehunter:  Adventures in the Forbidden Zone
Morganthus - Galaxy of Terror
Planet 4 - Alien Covenant
Alpha - Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
Klendathu - Starship Troopers

From that I'll add the Covenant Engineer home world (and Krypton from 1978 Superman) to my Honorable Mention list.
Ridley just has a great eye for production design with science fiction.

Quote from: Biomechanoid on Jan 19, 2018, 11:36:29 PM
Others that received a fair share of votes - Metaluna (from This Island Earth), Mongo (from Flash Gordon), Hades Moon (from Pitch Black), Mustafar (from Star Wars III), Romulus (from Star Trek), and a few others from Star Wars and Star Trek.

Ha ha; Mongo from Flash Gordon and I mean the original with Buster Crabbe.
Being an old guy; before PCs, and decent video games, my friends and I would hang out and watch original series Star Trek reruns and very late we'd see below B grade science fiction like Flash Gordon.
1937 Flash Gordon is too horrible today for almost everyone but several ideas from it (like Cloud City) made it to Star Wars.

;)

Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid

Quote from: bb-15 on Jan 20, 2018, 12:55:27 AM
Being an old guy; before PCs, and decent video games, my friends and I would hang out and watch original series Star Trek reruns and very late we'd see below B grade science fiction like Flash Gordon.
1937 Flash Gordon is too horrible today for almost everyone but several ideas from it (like Cloud City) made it to Star Wars.

Well Mongo was at the low end of votes, but yea, I was surprised some kept picking it. Who knows if they were basing their vote on the thirties serial, the 1980 film, or the 2007 series.

Vertigo

Vertigo

Some classic game worlds.

Na Pali (Unreal)

The planet in Unreal is like an '80s fantasy movie through a sci-fi lens. Lens flares, roiling purple clouds streaming across the sky, luminous water. The game takes you through lush canyons, waterfalls, volcanic mines, ancient temples, medieval-style villages, castles, islands suspended in the upper atmosphere, and labyrinthine alien spaceships. Peerlessly beautiful for the time, and demonstrated that you could make a 3D shooter in more colours than brown and grey...

Lava Giant (Unreal Tournament)

Endless ocean of lava under a dark sky, on which there's just a little rocky island with two castles on either side. Add in some serene techno and you have an incredibly atmospheric spot for a bit of Capture The Flag.

There are so goddamn many stunning locations in that first game though, and the music's a big part of it. Phobos and Facing Worlds get the honourable mentions:

Planet Vortex (Ecco the Dolphin)

If you only played five minutes of Ecco before giving up from the insane difficulty, it might surprise you to learn that the story eventually takes you to another planet. The architecture is more than a little bit Giger, being a vast biomechanical nightmare. Some sections basically look like somebody submerged Alien's egg silo. The planet is depleted of all life, except for the dominant lifeform, a squid-like race that has consumed everything on Planet Vortex and is now abducting food from Earth.

Earth (Ecco 2: the Tides of Time)

The sequel has an even trippier storyline, involving time travel. It presents several different versions of Earth, including a 'natural' future populated by flying sealife, a present-day in which Planet Vortex has been recreated on a smaller scale deep underwater, and the dark future, which conceptually might be the coolest. It's a vast high-tech wasteland, in which the Vortex creatures conquered and annihilated life on Earth, leaving only monstrous gleaming skyscrapers poking into a distinctly troubled-looking atmosphere. (This section also finishes with Ecco battling a giant purple testicle in a tight box.)

...I really like Ecco, particularly the second one. Great world building.

Korriban (Star Wars, specifically the KotOR games)

Basically a dark-side ancient Egypt. Endless barren desert, punctuated by the glowering stone statues and temples of the ancient Sith empire. In KotOR 1 it's the site of a training academy for the new Sith faction, which in my opinion is one of the game's better parts. In KotOR 2, the planet is almost completely empty, and the feeling of loneliness and creepy ancient darkness is absolutely palpable. Fantastic in both games.

Honourable mention to the first game's tropical super-archipelago, the Unknown World.

bb-15

bb-15

Quote from: Biomechanoid on Jan 20, 2018, 01:43:30 AM
Quote from: bb-15 on Jan 20, 2018, 12:55:27 AM

Well Mongo was at the low end of votes, but yea, I was surprised some kept picking it. Who knows if they were basing their vote on the thirties serial, the 1980 film, or the 2007 series.

Yes, it's uncertain which version of Flash Gordon that voters would be referring to.
- But for the hardcore Star Wars fan who wants see all the major influences on Lucas, I suggest checking out the beginning episodes of the 30s FG serials.
I already mentioned Cloud City coming from the serial.
- Other SW ideas from FG; the bad guy in a throne room giving orders to doom the hero such as Jabba having Luke fall through a trap door to a dungeon and being attacked by a monster.
Palpatine on his throne taunting Luke.

;)

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

From the Star Wars universe I liked all the planets presented in the O.P, but also:

Bespin, the gas giant

The gargantuan and bioluminescent garden of Felucia

The Wookie homeworld of Kashyyyk

Some non-canonical honorable mentions

The aquatic world of Manaan (KOTOR)

The mysterious homeworld of the Rakata species (KOTOR again)

There is a possibility that such planet is part of the canon, btw.

LV-223 of "Prometheus"

Magrathea of "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Abydos of "Stargate"

The post apocalyptic desert wasteland of "Mad Max: Fury Road"

The surreal steampunk-like-world of the movie "The Adventures of Baron Munchausen"

Planet Ygam of the french animated science fiction film "Fantastic Planet"

I know it's not a movie, but since it's a forum about television too, the Land of Ooo (a post-apocalyptic planet Earth) of Adventure Time
  :D

and the Twilight World of Shakuras from the "Starcraft" video game

bb-15

bb-15

Quote from: Crazy Shrimp on Jan 21, 2018, 02:21:52 AM
From the Star Wars universe I liked all the planets presented in the O.P, but also:

Bespin, the gas giant

The gargantuan and bioluminescent garden of Felucia

The Wookie homeworld of Kashyyyk

Some non-canonical honorable mentions

The aquatic world of Manaan (KOTOR)

The mysterious homeworld of the Rakata species (KOTOR again)

There is a possibility that such planet is part of the canon, btw.

LV-223 of "Prometheus"

Magrathea of "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Abydos of "Stargate"

The post apocalyptic desert wasteland of "Mad Max: Fury Road"

The surreal steampunk-like-world of the movie "The Adventures of Baron Munchausen"

Planet Ygam of the french animated science fiction film "Fantastic Planet"

I know it's not a movie, but since it's a forum about television too, the Land of Ooo (a post-apocalyptic planet Earth) of Adventure Time  :D

and the Twilight World of Shakuras from the "Starcraft" video game

Thank you for sharing those beautiful images.
Stunning graphic design is one of my favorite things about science fiction film / TV.

* A bit of the world of The Fifth Element;

;)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed