DH ‘Announces’ Aliens: Dust to Dust

Started by Ultramorph, Nov 29, 2017, 12:08:15 AM

Author
DH ‘Announces’ Aliens: Dust to Dust (Read 80,097 times)

proto leech

Quote from: Still Collating... on Jan 09, 2019, 05:52:51 PM
My problem is that this contradicts Ash's statement about the alien.

Spoiler
And we have no precedent for something like this. Alien love is not adding to the behavior, it's contradicting it. It basically comes down to: The kid was saved from an alien, by another alien who overcame its instincts with the power of love!
Without delusions of morality, ring any bells? This is close to The Predator level of out of place ideas....
Wasn't a fan of the art, so I was in it for the story, too bad the thing happened we all saw the moment it was hinted at. Predictable twist at that end, and not the good kind.
[close]

Its Genetic memory baby resurrection is still canon ;D. Or the soul of the mother corrupted the aliens perogatives? A little too supernatural for alien i think

I dont hate this as much as I should honestly

The Old One

The Old One

No energy for it myself.  :D

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Xiggz456 on Jan 09, 2019, 11:54:48 PM
Spoiler
I read all 4 issues in one go and actually realized that the assistant was a synthetic at the end of issue 3 and I didn't catch it the first time I read it (it's then made apparent in issue 4). As for the alien birthed from the boys' mother... not a fan but I'm going to hypothesize that this is a 1 in a trillion genetic defect that can occur in conjunction with the dna reflex.
[close]

What cottoned you on to that? I didn't pick up on anything.

I'm not sure how I feel about the whole

Spoiler
mother traits thing. I mean, it's not like that concept hasn't been around for ages. That kind of thing was floated around regarding the Alien "rape" of Lambert and putting it down to Kane having an attraction to Lambert so it's not like it's completely unknown but I don't know how I feel about it.

I kind of liked it better when it was a little bit more uncertain and I think we'd have been able to get away with most of what had been shown if it wasn't for Mom jumping on the Queen at the end. It felt a little unnecessary IMHO.
[close]

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jan 10, 2019, 12:21:35 PM
Spoiler
And here I thought it was only protecting Maxon because he may have been infected as well, that would have been better than what I have been reading from others.
[close]

I think that would have been a better take on it, personally.

I do love Hardman's artwork in this, though. It's a really visually great series.

Xiggz456

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 11, 2019, 08:01:23 AM
Spoiler
I read all 4 issues in one go and actually realized that the assistant was a synthetic at the end of issue 3 and I didn't catch it the first time I read it (it's then made apparent in issue 4). As for the alien birthed from the boys' mother... not a fan but I'm going to hypothesize that this is a 1 in a trillion genetic defect that can occur in conjunction with the dna reflex.
[close]

Spoiler
mother traits thing. I mean, it's not like that concept hasn't been around for ages. That kind of thing was floated around regarding the Alien "rape" of Lambert and putting it down to Kane having an attraction to Lambert so it's not like it's completely unknown but I don't know how I feel about it.

I kind of liked it better when it was a little bit more uncertain and I think we'd have been able to get away with most of what had been shown if it wasn't for Mom jumping on the Queen at the end. It felt a little unnecessary IMHO.
[close]

Spoiler
And here I thought it was only protecting Maxon because he may have been infected as well, that would have been better than what I have been reading from others.
[close]

I do love Hardman's artwork in this, though. It's a really visually great series.

Spoiler
the captain tries to hand him the gun on the bridge before she's pulled into the alien horde and the administrator says he can't use it (first clue). He then gets dragged into the river and the art shows white around him which I initially thought was white foam from a rushing river but on this last read through I was pretty sure it was android milk blood. Then issue 4 confirmed it.
[close]

Corporal Hicks

Ah, yes. I'd forgot about that moment. Hadn't really thought anything of it.

The Cruentus

Quote from: Xiggz456 on Jan 11, 2019, 12:33:31 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 11, 2019, 08:01:23 AM
Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler

[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
the captain tries to hand him the gun on the bridge before she's pulled into the alien horde and the administrator says he can't use it (first clue). He then gets dragged into the river and the art shows white around him which I initially thought was white foam from a rushing river but on this last read through I was pretty sure it was android milk blood. Then issue 4 confirmed it.
[close]

Spoiler
I don't think it was a surprise he was synthetic, I clocked on early on in the story but I suppose it might have been subtle enough to go unnoticed if they focused on other aspects of the story.
[close]

426Buddy

I liked the series for the most part.

The mother & son connection just really hurts the overall story. I can forgive it becuase its a comic and the rest of the story and the art are pretty darn good.

It was a missed opporunity though imo.

The Old One

The Old One

Disappointed.  :(

Corporal Hicks

We're chatting to Gabriel next week. As always, wanted to give you all the chance to get any questions in. Any I haven't already got down that I think sound interesting I'll make sure to ask!

The Cruentus

I think there will be a question most of us will be asking:
Spoiler
Why make the xenomorph have Anne's maternal instincts when no alien prior has ever had emotion traits from their host? (unless I am missing something.)
[close]

Whiskeybrewer

I felt this final issue really let the story down. While it did have some great moments, its like a few elements were just there.

The Old One

The Old One

I don't want to put the guy on the spot.
But if I saw the dude in person I'd have to ask,
was the instinct thing another stupid idea-
from FOX like, Ripley in Oots, Empaths,
other powerful alive E.T races,
Ripley descendants, River Of Pain,
or the Alien detecting people's blood.
Because the "reveal" feels rather contextually
removed from the rest of the excellent comic,
and I wholeheartedly believe it's a massive
mistake that recontextualises the rest of the
story in a bad light. The Alien should be
without remorse or delusions of morality.

Corporal Hicks

Rest assured I will ask about the inherited mother thing.

Xenomrph

Quote from: The Old One on Jan 17, 2019, 03:00:24 PM
was the instinct thing another stupid idea-
from FOX like [...] Empaths
or the Alien detecting people's blood.
Were those two confirmed as being FOX mandates?

The Old One

The Old One

Empaths I'm not sure, but it's dumb
and out of left field so I imagine so,
but then again Tim Lebbon did put
scuba gear on the Xenomorphs.

As for the blood, I think so- as if
I recall correctly, that's how
the book establishes
yet another stupid detail-
that he's a Ripley descendant.
And they hate him because
they can smell his blood.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed