Who would you like to see in the next movie? Or in any new Alien movie?

Started by Baron Von Marlon, Nov 24, 2017, 07:56:10 PM

Author
Who would you like to see in the next movie? Or in any new Alien movie? (Read 38,656 times)

Baron Von Marlon

I'm still in favour of a Blomkamp aliens flick with Hicks and Ripley. The movie business needs to get it out of its system and the fans of that project need it in theirs. Just so we can move on from the subject.

I personally prefer more Prometheus/Covenant type stuff. But space is big enough for both.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on May 28, 2018, 11:43:50 PM
I'm still in favour of a Blomkamp aliens flick with Hicks and Ripley. The movie business needs to get it out of its system and the fans of that project need it in theirs. Just so we can move on from the subject.

I personally prefer more Prometheus/Covenant type stuff. But space is big enough for both.

We already have three Alternative A3's, Earth War, ACM and now this upcoming comic.

We don't need it and never will, the idea has no real potential either. It would be a TFA style regurgitation that ultimately nobody worth their salt would ask for.

I would genuinely prefer anything else, the Alien franchise needs to go back to being a venue for upcoming artists to bring their own sense of style and direction to an entry in the universe like the first four did- not the opposite.

SM

QuoteWe don't need it and never will, the idea has no real potential either. It would be a TFA style regurgitation that ultimately nobody worth their salt would ask for.

There's no need for this crap.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: SM on May 29, 2018, 12:39:37 AM
QuoteWe don't need it and never will, the idea has no real potential either. It would be a TFA style regurgitation that ultimately nobody worth their salt would ask for.

I don't think my comparison is unwarranted.

I have no faith in Neill Blomkamp and to me another sequel starring Ripley 8 or Ellen Ripley would devalue the franchise. No need to call it crap, it's only my opinion.

Even if I am more than a little salty about the idea of alternatives to Alien 3 to begin with & the reason I don't want it to be like modern SW is obvious and pointed out in the second part of my paragraph. Bad but interesting is better than being decent and lacking any identity.

bb-15

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on May 28, 2018, 11:43:50 PM
...I personally prefer more Prometheus/Covenant type stuff...

I edited down your comment to what imo is the most important next step for the Alien franchise.
Which is; that the studio lets Ridley make the follow up to Covenant.

;)

SiL

Quote from: The Old One on May 29, 2018, 02:26:35 AM

I have no faith in Neill Blomkamp and to me another sequel starring Ripley 8 or Ellen Ripley would devalue the franchise. No need to call it crap, it's only my opinion.

Even if I am more than a little salty about the idea of alternatives to Alien 3 to begin with & the reason I don't want it to be like modern SW is obvious and pointed out in the second part of my paragraph. Bad but interesting is better than being decent and lacking any identity.
He means there's no need for the condescending bullshit of saying people who like TFA and similar projects "aren't worth their salt".

SM

I don't give a shit either way.

TFA was immensely popular.  Lots of people would like to see the Blomkamp film.  Painting them all as 'not worth their salt' is crap.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: SM on May 29, 2018, 02:35:39 AM

I don't give a shit either way.

TFA was immensely popular.  Lots of people would like to see the Blomkamp film.  Painting them all as 'not worth their salt' is crap.

Well, sorry but I'll never take back that anyone that wants regurgitation is worth their salt because they are pointedly not, there's nothing worthwhile about clones with no new ideas of their own. No matter how popular. TFA was popular not due to what it did itself, (Aside from actor chemistry) but the immense potential it had as a jumping off point.
A new saga for a new generation.

I maintain my belief Alien doesn't need that and more-so would be actively harmed by it.

Quote from: SiL on May 29, 2018, 02:34:51 AM

He means there's no need for the condescending bullshit of saying people who like TFA and similar projects "aren't worth their salt".

There's nothing wrong with liking TFA, there would have been if it's intention was to replace another SW film with something that contributes nothing new but actor chemistry- but even though it mimicked; it never replaces. That's the red line.

PsyKore

Quote from: The Old One on May 29, 2018, 02:41:03 AM
I maintain my belief Alien doesn't need that and more-so would be actively harmed by it.

Alien was harmed long ago. A new Aliens-style action romp won't affect it, probably the opposite.

The Old One

Quote from: PsyKore on May 29, 2018, 02:47:39 AM

Alien was harmed long ago. A new Aliens-style action romp won't affect it, probably the opposite.

An Aliens inspired film, I'd be all for- just not with Sigourney Weaver or Michael Biehn.

I think it would be better if we just established new characters, to me Alien should be like an ongoing anthology series where we don't focus on one group of people/character endlessly surviving the Alien.
The main attraction being that the creative team is different enough to be distinct for each entry.
Think how different Thor Ragnarok is from the Winter Soldier but they both are excellent in their own right.
As I would argue everyone can agree Alien and Aliens are majorly different but both excellent.

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: The Old One on May 29, 2018, 03:09:04 AM
An Aliens inspired film, I'd be all for- just not with Sigourney Weaver or Michael Biehn.

I think it would be better if we just established new characters, to me Alien should be like an ongoing anthology series where we don't focus on one group of people/character endlessly surviving the Alien.
The main attraction being that the creative team is different enough to be distinct for each entry.
Think how different Thor Ragnarok is from the Winter Soldier but they both are excellent in their own right.
As I would argue everyone can agree Alien and Aliens are majorly different but both excellent.

Even if it was with different characters, they'd probably play a similar part.
Imo it wouldn't be a group endlessly surviving but rather an alternative form of closure for certain characters. After that they can do all the different stuff.
And like I said earlier, if it got made we could move on from this discussion.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on May 29, 2018, 03:17:55 AM
Quote from: The Old One on May 29, 2018, 03:09:04 AM

Even if it was with different characters, they'd probably play a similar part.
Imo it wouldn't be a group endlessly surviving but rather an alternative form of closure for certain characters. After that they can do all the different stuff.
And like I said earlier, if it got made we could move on from this discussion.

The topic would also be over if Sigourney Weaver passed away as well, and I don't wish for either of those things to happen.

They can still do the different stuff, the problem with the Alien films since 1997+ isn't that they haven't got Ellen Ripley but that they aren't good films in their own right. It's the same as the Ridley Scott "The Alien is cooked." Discussion; it's not the ideas but their execution.

Corporal Hicks

Well, sorry but I'll never take back that anyone that wants regurgitation is worth their salt because they are pointedly not, there's nothing worthwhile about clones with no new ideas of their own. No matter how popular. TFA was popular not due to what it did itself, (Aside from actor chemistry) but the immense potential it had as a jumping off point.
A new saga for a new generation.

You're really not making a good impression on me this morning, Old One. The first of the rules we expect people to follow if they want to participate in this community is that they are pleasant and respectful to others. That includes if their ideas don't align with yours. This will be the last time I have to ask anything like this of you.

The Old One

The Old One

Apologies, I didn't intend to offend anyone.

Stompy the Perfect Xeno

Just throwing in some names:
Mads Mikkelsen
Rami Malek
Sharlto Copley
Steven Ogg
Quentin Tarantino
Denzel Washington

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed