Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator?

Started by newbeing, Nov 06, 2017, 07:34:15 PM

Author
Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator? (Read 189,987 times)

RidgeTop

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 20, 2019, 10:56:35 PM
A first causality announced about an hour ago likely related to the Disney takeover.

The Predator community ap is closing, and moving to web based.

That App was pretty dead anyway, since a while after The Predator came out. Can't remember the last updates.

Naginata

I just hope to God they don't go the boring route and make 'Aliens 2.'  :P

The Old One

The Old One

Agreed. Ugh, worst timeline. lol

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Naginata on Mar 21, 2019, 01:13:24 AM
I just hope to God they don't go the boring route and make 'Aliens 2.'  :P

God knows we wouldn't want to put any people in theatres.   ::)

Magegg

Aliens and Predator franchises are in desperate need of a crowdpleaser.

The Old One

The Old One

Fury Road's a crowdpleaser.

Crowdpleaser ≠ plebeian.

RidgeTop

Quote from: The Old One on Mar 21, 2019, 02:04:45 AM
Fury Road's a crowdpleaser.

Crowdpleaser ≠ plebeian.

Good example, it's certainly ideal to have a movie that's both crowd-pleasing and well-crafted.

SiL

You can have an Aliens 2 that's crowd pleasing and well-crafted regardless of how much one might despise the concept.

I don't like it =/= "plebeian".

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: The Old One on May 29, 2018, 03:24:54 AM
An Aliens inspired film, I'd be all for-
just not with Sigourney Weaver.

I think it would be better if we just established new characters, to me Alien should be like an ongoing anthology series where we don't focus on one group of people/character endlessly surviving the Alien.
The main attraction being that the creative team is different enough to be distinct for each entry.
The problem with the Alien films since 1997+ isn't that they haven't got Ellen Ripley but that they aren't good films in their own right. It's the same as the Ridley Scott "The Alien is cooked." Discussion; it's not the ideas but their execution.

Conversely the Neill Blomkamp's Alien idea, is plebeian.

SiL

Huggs

No aliens 2 please.

I don't want to see alien turned into fallen kingdom, and quite frankly, I don't think they'd invest the money to make an alien movie that big anyway. Nor do I think the studio would be brave enough to have it earn its "r" rating like the original did. It might say R, but it would really just be a slightly heavier pg-13.

SuperiorIronman

You can make all the art house films or continuity heavy sub-textual masterpieces you want. Problem is that for as much as we would enjoy it, that wont make money to be worth the investment nor will the GA be thinking about it as much as we do when it's over. We are also in an age where we can market the shit out of a product and Disney is going to be looking at the opportunity for that as well. You can't do an ALIENS style marketing maneuver with the Prequels. 

At this point, Disney has to play it safe because the GA was not invested in the prequels. If that was the case we would have a trilogy by now, but now we are under new management. Now yes the Murdoch's would've sold regardless, but we would've kicked things into high-gear assuming the prequels had been a smash hit and we didn't. That trilogy never happened. It never sold or was as well received as it should've been and it for damn sure wasn't as marketable. As much as it hurts to hear, ALIENS was a marketing juggernaut and still is. That is what the GA thinks of when they hear "Xenomorph" and so in order to get people in the theater, you just gotta bite the bullet.

The Old One

The Old One

The series is auteur central.

And Prometheus misdirected the GA, easily.

(Alien 1979)
Aliens released 1986 regardless, the younger generation's no nostalgia.
(Alien³ 1992)

SiL

I don't get where the idea these films have ever been intended as anything other than "crowd-pleasing" for their respective audiences comes from. Alien's intent was to scare the shit out of people, period, not incite deep philosophical discussion. There's lots of subtext throughout, mostly brought to life in the art design, but at its core they wanted to make a movie that people who like scary films would enjoy. And they nailed it.

The Old One

The Old One

Intention ≠ result.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed