Scott: I think the Beast is almost run out, personally.

Started by Ingwar, Nov 02, 2017, 10:49:37 PM

Author
Scott: I think the Beast is almost run out, personally. (Read 108,217 times)

skhellter

skhellter

An actual Pussyface is so much better, yeah i agree.  :D

KiramidHead

Goddamn space aliens.

skhellter

That needs to be the tag line for the new Pred film, stat.
Best line in the script.

It will be, if their marketing team arent a bunch of scrubs.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: CainsSon on Nov 09, 2017, 08:03:15 PM
Quote from: acidreign on Nov 03, 2017, 04:55:03 PM
This series will never be what any of you want it to be.
Its moment of creative vitality was from 1979-1986. You simply can't recapture that. Just can't.

Novelty and freshness are incredibly hard qualities to sustain across a horror franchise. This is especially true of the Alien films, whose universe is comprised of a limited number of tropes that grow staler with each entry.

You can try to do something different with the series but the fans will get upset that you've abandoned them. You can give them what they say they want, and they will complain it's more of the same. There's no pleasing anyone. [Certainly not general audiences, who more or less checked out on the series after Alien 3.]

I think this is exactly what Scott is trying to say. The novelty has worn off and the only thing that works now, is something new. Whenyiu watch the films that "worked" alien and aliens, every moment that worked involved the addition of something new. If you think back from a-z throughout this franchise, the only moments the alien ever worked involved the addition of some new element. Really go through it scene by scene, and you will see that with very very rare exception, every single scene that depicted the aliens in the original franchise, worked because its was introducing some new element. As soon as we knew all about it, it ceased to work. Even the scenes that do work in the later sequels, like the scene where ripley meets her clones in A:R, involved something we havent seen before. Compare that scene or the scene where the aliens kill each other to escape in the same film to maybe the scene where we see they swim... then compare that to the general scenes of them walking down a halway menacingly, ... you end up seeing that the newer elements are only things that work.
Of course, not all new ideas work... the Newborn, for instance.
But the point is: Scott is right that they need to introduce some new element and not retread the old. He is essentially saying the same things as what Cameron was thinking when he made Aliens. What came before isnt enough. You have to up the ante somehow and just having an alien isnt cutting it. You cannot just do the same thing again. It needs to evolve to make a sequel worthwhile.

This. And even if you can make a film with the same quality of Alien or Aliens, the next sequel needs to have at least one new element. From a creative point of view, we can safely say that there is almost nothing new there, and that Rildley Scott has a point.

And who knows. Perhaps Fox should give the fans what they want. You know. A love letter to Cameron's Aliens (with Ripley, Hicks and Newt of course), a combination of the first two films, or whatever.  But even if you can handle very well that...what's next? you definitely need new ideas.

So, if you don't have new ideas, maybe it's time to put this franchise in the freezer for a couple of decades. Also, I think skhellter hit the nail on the head when he/she said that we need a new creature. But something completely new, since most of the "new monsters" (Dragon, Newborn, Predalien, Deacon and Neomorph) are mostly recycled versions of Giger's Alien.   

Scorpio

So long as they let Ridley Scott finish his story, they can make 50 billion remakes of Aliens for all I care.  Otherwise nerd rage will ensue.

Biomechanoid

They seem to be pretty excited about the Covenant sequel over at alien-covenant.com. Lots of speculation based off Ridley's recent interviews, including they think there will be a war between the Engineers and David's army of xenos.

reecebomb

I think you guys are terribly wrong. How about getting the Alien right for once (been decades, videogames don't count) before we start introducing new creatures, for the millionth times it's all in the execution and the potential so far hasn't been used or in Covenants case was  very poorly handled. Give it quality it deserves or just don't do it, Covenant was a mistake. And who would come up with something that would top Giger let alone be on par or near the quality?

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

I'd love to see them create a proper eco-system of different alien animals. And plants. All horrifying, dangerous, nightmarish creations.
Could be all variations on insects or a mix insects, mammals, birds. But no giants or anything. Let's say the size of an elephant tops.
Turn it into a modern version of discoverers going to Africa or South America who encountered tropical diseases, poison bugs, snakes, leopards,...
And in a later version you could throw a (primitive) humanoid tribe in the mix.

Quote from: Biomechanoid on Nov 12, 2017, 12:50:41 AM
They seem to be pretty excited about the Covenant sequel over at alien-covenant.com. Lots of speculation based off Ridley's recent interviews, including they think there will be a war between the Engineers and David's army of xenos.

Hey, they read my story  ;D
I'd expect a battle but no war.
Ideally it'd be a 2 hour flick, with the first part involving some exploring, some David horror stuff and Engineer info.
Leading into the second part, the arrival of the Engineers, humans turning on David, xenos attacking the humans, Engineers attacking everyone,...
This way we'd get Prometheus/Covenant stuff for fans of Engineers and David.
And a heavy dose of action for those who prefer more action.

skhellter

Quote from: reecebomb on Nov 12, 2017, 01:55:02 AM
How about getting the Alien right for once before we start introducing new creatures

I hate nostalgia.
I can see it done right just by putting the blurays of the old films.
Nostalgia for an old bananaheadvelociraptor creature did not set box office on fire, exactly.. 
:laugh:

Giger let a ton of Alien related art behind.
Enough to inspire a ton of new creatures by good new artists.
(Huante, Schulver, Hallett or Wayne Barlowe... who is probably the best scifi-fantasy visionary artist since Giger..)

Nobody's going to reinvent the wheel.
But they'll make it look pretty cool.

kwisatz

kwisatz

That lips.

Denton Smalls

What do you guys think the odds are that David somehow enhances himself using the pathogen?

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Nov 12, 2017, 02:19:44 AM
I'd love to see them create a proper eco-system of different alien animals. And plants.
Could be all variations on insects or a mix insects, mammals, birds. But no giants or anything. Let's say the size of an elephant tops.
Turn it into a modern version of discoverers going to Africa or South America who encountered tropical diseases, poison bugs, snakes, leopards,...

This thing about an eco-system ... Did everyone here explore the concept art for when Covenant was still David and Shaw exploring Paradise and it was still basically Prometheus 2? Some of that stuff is on the Covenant Blu-Ray.
This stuff involved a lot of bizarre Alien plants and an eco-system riddled with dangerous elements and plants.
So did the Fire And Stone developments on LV223..
Scott's recent quotes about the world David will create for himself aligns well with that concept art and have me wondering whether or not the decision wasnt made to flip the scripts to get the Alien in the film sooner. I think a few of us have made the observation tht Covenant is basically what was meant to happen in Prometheus 3.
I think they may have swapped the films for some reason and much like Engineers stuff ended up in Covenant, the Paradise concept art and Alien-eco-system stuff may end up in Awakening. Unfortunately, this required Shaw to die and may now have Daniels end up the one exploring this world David has created for them both - a Paradise. Her being a Terraformer makes her an ideal mate for David on that world, until well, we all know that wont end well for her.
If you'll recall Ridley mentioned that they will build that Cabin on the Lake. Im thinking David will build it and she will awaken to find the Paradise he has made for her... Needless to say, it wont be all sun and flowers.

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: CainsSon on Nov 12, 2017, 05:31:55 PM
This thing about an eco-system ... Did everyone here explore the concept art for when Covenant was still David and Shaw exploring Paradise and it was still basically Prometheus 2? Some of that stuff is on the Covenant Blu-Ray.
This stuff involved a lot of bizarre Alien plants and an eco-system riddled with dangerous elements and plants.
So did the Fire And Stone developments on LV223..
Scott's recent quotes about the world David will create for himself aligns well with that concept art and have me wondering whether or not the decision wasnt made to flip the scripts to get the Alien in the film sooner. I think a few of us have made the observation tht Covenant is basically what was meant to happen in Prometheus 3.
I think they may have swapped the films for some reason and much like Engineers stuff ended up in Covenant, the Paradise concept art and Alien-eco-system stuff may end up in Awakening. Unfortunately, this required Shaw to die and may now have Daniels end up the one exploring this world David has created for them both - a Paradise. Her being a Terraformer makes her an ideal mate for David on that world, until well, we all know that wont end well for her.
If you'll recall Ridley mentioned that they will build that Cabin on the Lake. Im thinking David will build it and she will awaken to find the Paradise he has made for her... Needless to say, it wont be all sun and flowers.

Been thinking the same. And I love the Paradise concept art.
Don't recall Ridley mentioning they will build the cabin. Do you remember where you read it?

acrediblesource

Thats only frightening in a sense if they include some type of abomination,
otherwise  an ecosystem that is weird but not frightening is like a Mass Effect game. It will be as terrestrial as any other fantasy sci-fi movie.
If it turns out that there are omnimus discoveries that make you vomit  then that is an idea worth exporing in the horror genre. Throw in a few of HR Giger's designs and its gold.

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Nov 12, 2017, 02:19:44 AM
I'd love to see them create a proper eco-system of different alien animals. And plants.

Quote from: Biomechanoid on Nov 12, 2017, 12:50:41 AM

Hey, they read my story  ;D
I'd expect a battle but no war.
Ideally it'd be a 2 hour flick, with the first part involving some exploring, some David horror stuff and Engineer info.
Leading into the second part, the arrival of the Engineers, humans turning on David, xenos attacking the humans, Engineers attacking everyone,...
This way we'd get Prometheus/Covenant stuff for fans of Engineers and David.
And a heavy dose of action for those who prefer more action.

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: acrediblesource on Nov 12, 2017, 08:00:18 PM
Thats only frightening in a sense if they include some type of abomination,
otherwise  an ecosystem that is weird but not frightening is like a Mass Effect game. It will be as terrestrial as any other fantasy sci-fi movie.
If it turns out that there are omnimus discoveries that make you vomit  then that is an idea worth exporing in the horror genre. Throw in a few of HR Giger's designs and its gold.

I should've been more specific. It's implied that's they're abominations and horrific creatures.
And they're all dangerous in a different ways. So the danger could come from different places in various forms, creating a (near) constant threat and hightened level of fear.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed