Scott: I think the Beast is almost run out, personally.

Started by Ingwar, Nov 02, 2017, 10:49:37 PM

Author
Scott: I think the Beast is almost run out, personally. (Read 107,980 times)

Mr. Clemens

Just while we're on the subject of cool, unexpected sounds, I always loved that there is the sound of a woman whistling in the score of Alien - when Dallas and Ash are inspecting the facehugger.

Scorpio

QuoteFor the Xenomorph sounds, were the design rules/parameters based on the original Alien sounds? Can you share some examples of Xenomorph sounds you created for this film? What went into creating those sounds?
Michael Fentum (MF): When it came to the actual Xenomorph vocals we had a challenge as in the first film they had that very effective hiss, but were otherwise fairly stealthy — maybe just a squeal or scream in surprise or attack. We had notes such as 'power and presence' but the tough thing was the increase in screen time the creature had compared to the other films and making it still feel like a Xenomorph.

One characteristic we particularly liked from the original was this kind of hiss of seething rage before it attacked. We went about emulating that by using lots of liquid recordings that were heavily processed with the Eventide H8000 and then blended together to taste.

One characteristic we particularly liked from the original was this kind of hiss of seething rage before it attacked

The other element that (film editor) Pietro Scalia was very keen on getting across was a low-end presence, a sort of malevolent aura that was just there with the creature. We then had to set out trying to get this low-end into something that didn't feel too synthetic. We made low frequency tones from all different natural sources, then set about finding ways to modulate them through the Kyma (by Symbolic Sound). This seemed to glue natural movement onto a previously static sound.

OT
: Sounds such as the hiss of komodo dragons and the hoarse screech of vultures were a great starting point for the seething characteristic, but blending them with dry ice, deep metal stresses, and sword scrapes in the Kyma gave it a little more individual identity and lent the sound that slight metallic element that seems to work for the physicality of the Xeno.

Some of the sounds used in the original film to great effect for the monster were shrill creature squeals, and our Director isn't averse to the asking for them. We made sure we had a good palette of Xeno sounds based on this type of squeal, and they do cut through incredibly well when there's a lot going on in a busy action sequence.

https://www.asoundeffect.com/alien-covenant-sound/

SiL

Nice find!

Inverse Effect

I kinda liked how the Alien was shown in the cut scene from one of the trailers whre it jumped from wall to wall in that tunnel. Like what the f**k happened to that? That scene was awesome.. Too bad it was cut like all of the cool other stuff.

Scorpio

Ridley cut it because it looks stupid.  Looks like something from AVPR.

MU-TH-UR 6000

I much prefered that shot of him jumping from wall to wall than the tacky running on all fours animation they went with on way too many scenes. Urgh, it just doesn't look good.

Scorpio

Each to their own.  I think it looks amazing and real.

tleilaxu

I like it too. I like all the xenomorph scenes except the cheesy jump down from above shot and the bad CGI shots inside the Covenant. Its gait even kinda looks like something between human and beast when running.

Inverse Effect

Quote from: Scorpio on May 20, 2018, 09:50:27 PM

There's a Part in Aliens too where one of the Aliens (i think the Ripley hive scene) where one does the same thing.

Scorpio

Quote from: Guts on Jun 04, 2018, 06:15:31 PM

There's a Part in Aliens too where one of the Aliens (i think the Ripley hive scene) where one does the same thing.

Maybe it was a homage to that scene but they're not the same, different lighting, plus one uses a stuntman the other is computer generated.

OpenMaw

Quote from: Scorpio on May 21, 2018, 06:48:41 AM
Each to their own.  I think it looks amazing and real.

One of the few times I think showing the alien in that way worked. Of course I feel bad for the stunt actors as they had to do that scene a number of times to get everything landing right. (You can actually see a goof during one of the behind the scenes segments. Stuntman loses his grip and falls off the wall.)

PsyKore

Actually, I think it was just for promotional purposes. I don't think it was ever intended to be in the film. I don't really see where it could fit logically in the film if they did decide to use it, anyway.

Inverse Effect

Quote from: Scorpio on Jun 04, 2018, 07:37:23 PM

Maybe it was a homage to that scene but they're not the same, different lighting, plus one uses a stuntman the other is computer generated.

I'm just saying, in Aliens, they had them crawling upside down in a vent, and they filmed it upside down intentionally to give that effect. I don't think Aliens jumping from Wall to Wall is off-putting or un-realistic here, we're talking about a Creature that doesn't exist and can bleed Acid.

The Cut we saw in theater is without a doubt a cut that exists. there's probably a cut out there that includes scenes and different camera angles and footage (Probably Complete too) that exists on some computer or Disk that they didn't use. Blade Runner has 40 mins worthof un-used Camera angles and footage not even used in the Final Cut ( All post effects added)  And Kingdom of Heaven shows that Directors Cuts can be completely different movies.

If you go back to the trailer and watch 2:09. i'd argue it looks pretty organic and moves in the fashion the Alien does in Aliens if anything, like you said though, which i do agree on, it could be a homage to Aliens, considering Covenant had the Queen hidden away in the poster Art

The Old One

The Old One

I'd like a cut of Covenant that gave the second half more breathing room, should've been only one Alien.

KiramidHead

They could have tweaked the ending voice over and cut the last bit on the ship completely.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed