Work on the Sequels Stopped?

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 18, 2017, 11:49:17 AM

Author
Work on the Sequels Stopped? (Read 151,511 times)

Kane's other son

Not only is David the creator of the classic alien, the next film -if made- will reveal that it is the result of a chestburster hosted by David, the creator sacrificing his life for his creation.

Personally, I love it.

By the way, this doesn't make the alien any less alien, since it is the end result of the black goo, an ancient bioweapon developed by extra-terrestrials.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SM on Jul 24, 2017, 07:02:03 AM
Anyway, it's all good - "The Alien franchises future is assured!" according to SciFied, because...

I'm not sure.

Quote from: SM on Jul 24, 2017, 09:29:15 AM
Quote from: SM on Jul 22, 2017, 12:31:55 AM
This 're-assess' news really shouldn't come as a surprise. 

Quote"It got great reviews and was everything we set out for it to be, it just didn't hit the note at the box office," says Fred Baron, the 20th Century Fox executive on the movie: "It will be a profitable film for the studio but whether there's another one [is uncertain]."

From 2 weeks ago

There was concern about more instalments within a week of it coming out.

Verified source from 13 pages ago for anyone paying attention and not wallowing in denial.

Scified. Enough said.  :D

I'm not too surprised in regards to this. Also, thanks for posting that other link again, SM. I think it's clear Fox was expecting a bigger hit on their hands and I don't think they really know why it's failed. I know Fox has been talking to various fan outlets (myself, Xenopedia, Perfect Organism and probably even Scified, though I don't know about that) to try and gauge what happened.

But I think looking at fan reactions isn't going to help. They tried to with Covenant and that didn't work - though I still don't remember the lack of Aliens in Prometheus being a big issue. Seemed more likely it was due to the massive surge of positivity when Blomkamp's stuff was announced.

We're too different. The film's in the series are so different and people find differing things to like in them. I think that divide is pretty obvious with this disgusting Ridley vs. Blomkamp hate war thing that you see around at the minute.

0321recon

0321recon

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 24, 2017, 01:25:12 PM
Anyway, it's all good - "The Alien franchises future is assured!" according to SciFied, because...

I'm not sure.

Quote"It got great reviews and was everything we set out for it to be, it just didn't hit the note at the box office," says Fred Baron, the 20th Century Fox executive on the movie: "It will be a profitable film for the studio but whether there's another one [is uncertain]."

From 2 weeks ago

Verified source from 13 pages ago for anyone paying attention and not wallowing in denial.

I'm not too surprised in regards to this. Also, thanks for posting that other link again, SM. I think it's clear Fox was expecting a bigger hit on their hands and I don't think they really know why it's failed. I know Fox has been talking to various fan outlets (myself, Xenopedia, Perfect Organism and probably even Scified, though I don't know about that) to try and gauge what happened.

But I think looking at fan reactions isn't going to help. They tried to with Covenant and that didn't work - though I still don't remember the lack of Aliens in Prometheus being a big issue. Seemed more likely it was due to the massive surge of positivity when Blomkamp's stuff was announced.

We're too different. The film's in the series are so different and people find differing things to like in them. I think that divide is pretty obvious with this disgusting Ridley vs. Blomkamp hate war thing that you see around at the minute.

I just hope Fox doesn't take the Ridley vs Blomkamp war that's occurring to heart and shelve Scott's prequels.

Though, I'm crossing fingers that most are telling them the film needed to delve more into the mysteries posed on Prometheus, and from that, try to at least amend that for a final film if it ever gets made.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

I think it's clear Fox was expecting a bigger hit on their hands and I don't think they really know why it's failed. I know Fox has been talking to various fan outlets (myself, Xenopedia, Perfect Organism and probably even Scified, though I don't know about that) to try and gauge what happened.

I agree and to be honest, it's a bit pointless asking the hard-core Alien fansites why it wasn't a big hit - box office wise. Most hardcore fans (Local Trouble excluded) went to see the film, Fox succeeded with that. Sure, there will always be contention among the fans whether Covenant was a great film or not but that is besides the point really.

Where it failed was with the general movie-going public. For whatever reason (Waterston's hairstyle included) it failed to draw in casual viewers or create the necessary buzz for an impressive box office haul. The hardcore fans are but a small drop in the revenue bucket.

Alionic

Alionic

I'm team Ridley.

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

I'm not sure.

From 2 weeks ago

They definitely shouldn't listen to us! I mean, I liked Covenant, others didn't because it Wasnt Prometheusy enough or wasn't enough like Aliens or it wasnt scary enough or it messed with the lore or just because of katherine Waterstones haircut lol.

That's just for starters, the reasons are endless.

Just try picking the bones out of that lot!

T Dog

T Dog

I'm not sure.

From 2 weeks ago

I know Fox has been talking to various fan outlets (myself, Xenopedia, Perfect Organism and probably even Scified, though I don't know about that) to try and gauge
Woah! what did u tell them?

PierreVW

NickisSmart

NickisSmart

But I think looking at fan reactions isn't going to help.

Not sure why they thought Covenant was going to do well with a wider audience, in the first place.

tleilaxu

tleilaxu

I've probably said this a thousand times by now, but I do sincerely think it would've done better if it had been what people expected instead of what the marketing led people to expect.

Richman678

Richman678

Well in regards to the Team Blomkamp people.......Prometheus came out in 2012. Yes it wasn't widely "liked" by fans, and there are tons of Youtube videos dedicated to why it was a failure...or a under rated masterpiece...or the first movie in history that people love/hate.....Either way it was getting a sequel. It made a good amount of money at the Box Office.

The Blomkamp Alien Project was announced via his Twitter account like early 2015. I got my date from this article if it's wrong apologies. http://io9.gizmodo.com/neill-blomkamps-secret-alien-movie-looks-so-good-were-f-1677082116

Even if it's off it's only off a few months into 2014.......Prometheus 2 was still getting made whether you like it or not. Blomkamps idea was late to the party already. Also Yes of coarse Ridley Scott killed it. Do you guys know how stupid it would have been to have Alien Covenant...and then a few months later Alien 5??? That's like Batman vs Superman coming out...then a few months later a sequel to Superman Returns which would be unrelated......

Now all that being said...Covenant barely broke even money wise, and yes I would say it's also breaking even on if Fans liked it or not.

I think FOX should do one of the following. Either let Ridley Scott's SON direct a 3rd prequel movie to tie up the story.....or let Neil Blomkamp make his Alien Movie that includes Fassbenders David....Either way Covenant left the series on a cliffhanger, and they need to finish this story. Also yes I suggested Ridley's son because Ridley is now busy, and cant make another Alien movie for two years...which is way to long. If they are gonna tie the prequel story up it needs to be done now...with a lower budget naturally.

PierreVW

PierreVW

Quote from: Richman678 on Jul 24, 2017, 04:09:27 PM
Well in regards to the Team Blomkamp people.......Prometheus came out in 2012. Yes it wasn't widely "liked" by fans, and there are tons of Youtube videos dedicated to why it was a failure...or a under rated masterpiece...or the first movie in history that people love/hate.....Either way it was getting a sequel. It made a good amount of money at the Box Office.

The Blomkamp Alien Project was announced via his Twitter account like early 2015. I got my date from this article if it's wrong apologies. http://io9.gizmodo.com/neill-blomkamps-secret-alien-movie-looks-so-good-were-f-1677082116

Even if it's off it's only off a few months into 2014.......Prometheus 2 was still getting made whether you like it or not. Blomkamps idea was late to the party already. Also Yes of coarse Ridley Scott killed it. Do you guys know how stupid it would have been to have Alien Covenant...and then a few months later Alien 5??? That's like Batman vs Superman coming out...then a few months later a sequel to Superman Returns which would be unrelated......

Now all that being said...Covenant barely broke even money wise, and yes I would say it's also breaking even on if Fans liked it or not.

I think FOX should do one of the following. Either let Ridley Scott's SON direct a 3rd prequel movie to tie up the story.....or let Neil Blomkamp make his Alien Movie that includes Fassbenders David....Either way Covenant left the series on a cliffhanger, and they need to finish this story. Also yes I suggested Ridley's son because Ridley is now busy, and cant make another Alien movie for two years...which is way to long. If they are gonna tie the prequel story up it needs to be done now...with a lower budget naturally.

Your theory could happen in real life.

Ridley Scott is too busy: ATMITW this December, THE CARTEL in late 2018 and BATTLE IN BRITAIN in late 2019.

His son Luke Scott could be the Director of a smaller budget COVENANT 2 film.

Mr. Xenomorph

Mr. Xenomorph

Yeah, Team Ridley here too. Ridley Scott is a legend, but he needs a smaller budget.

Spielberg once said of Jaws that if he had made the movie today, he would have ruined it with too much CGI and shown the shark too much. If you see the shark coming up behind the character, it's not scary. Or, at the very least, it's half as scary because the tension isn't as palpable. If you see the person just get pulled underwater, it's terrifying because it's sudden. Now, compare that to Alien and Covenant. In Alien, you never see the Xeno actually kill Lambert, but you hear it over the radio. It is stone cold terrifying to hear it kill her, because you don't see it. Covenant had the Xeno out in the open sprinting across the ground like a large jungle cat. We saw the CGI shark. It's gloriously shot and excellent in its execution, but it's not scary as seeing it just appear behind you, or seeing Lope suddenly yanked into an air conditioning duct out of nowhere. The scariest moment of Covenant to me personally was when Rosenberg suddenly notices the Neomorph standing right behind her, because it's sudden. It's. Right. There. And you know she's dead. There's no escaping it. That is classic Alien.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Mr. Xenomorph on Jul 24, 2017, 04:22:49 PMThe scariest moment of Covenant to me personally was when Rosenberg suddenly notices the Neomorph standing right behind her, because it's sudden. It's. Right. There. And you know she's dead. There's no escaping it.

That scene was lame horror cliché 101.

I genuinely thought it was pretty cringey, especially when taking into account the fact she just wandered off alone for no legitimate reason other than so she could be killed. I brought back ugly memories of Prometheus stupidity.

I'm neither "team Ridley" nor "team Blomkamp" (whatever the hell that stuff even means) but Ridley's proven to me now that he's made a bit of a hash (Prometheus admittedly more so than Covenant) of the last two entries he's attempted to make.

NickisSmart

NickisSmart

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 24, 2017, 04:28:33 PM

That scene was lame horror cliché 101.

I genuinely thought it was pretty cringey, especially when taking into account the fact she just wandered off alone for no legitimate reason other than so she could be killed. I brought back ugly memories of Prometheus stupidity.

She was cleaning her wounds, actually. You seem to invent reasons to dislike what is basically just a scene. It's called a screenplay and it dictates what happens, in any film. It happens in Alien, with the cat, and in Aliens, when Ripley falls asleep with Newt, after threatening to nail Burke to the wall.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed