Work on the Sequels Stopped?

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 18, 2017, 11:49:17 AM

Author
Work on the Sequels Stopped? (Read 151,418 times)

Scorpio

Scorpio

Maybe they should get in Tom Cruise for the next one.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Even though i was completely happy with Covenant, i do think we need at least one more film to wrap up that storyline

or if Fox wont do another film for awhile let Dark Horse adapt it as a comic

Scott

Scott

Why aren't they going old school??? Lower the budget, make a freakin outstnding story and profit. I mean, eventhough isolation had a good budget, but less, shows that the storyline is key!! Make a low budget sequel

Scott

Scott

Stop setting bruckheimer as the bar

windebieste

windebieste

Quote from: Jonesy1974 on Jul 22, 2017, 09:12:17 AM
Quote from: Salt The Fries on Jul 22, 2017, 08:57:51 AM
I have an impression that Star Wars, Star Trek and any DC / Marvel fanbases / fandoms are MUCH MORE easily pleased. Alien fandom on the other hand is full of malcontents (sure they are to be found everywhere), but it is the most divisive one.

The franchises you mention all have one thing in common and that's a formula, they all have a template to follow so you pretty much get what you expect. The alien films are all so different that the fan base splits into different camps.

The Aliens action orientated approach appears to be the most popular from what I can see so I think that's probably the most financially viable route to take. It's not what I would like personally but it looks like I'm in the minority.

I do think that's the route Scott is intending to take the series.  Take a look at the end of 'ALIEN Covenant'.  It's set up for large scale conflict in that vein.  Then consider some of the things that Scott has said - not just hinted at, but actually said.

On a number of occasions, he's mentioned a "war of the worlds" scenario.  More than once he's indicated that.  He's also mentioned a "possible return to an ALIENS" movie sometime.  I can't remember where he's actually said these things so I am just paraphrasing.  Mind you, he hasn't said too much else about the direction the next movie(s) will take but it appears to me from the evidence we have seen so far, Madness and War will be significant themes tackled.  Especially as Scott has also said the Engineers will return to "find their planet decimated".  Sounds to me like a healthy combat scenario is developing.

Given that Fox wants the 'ALIEN' series to be successful, it would be counterproductive to that goal to kill it dead right now.  While it hasn't had 'Star Wars' or 'MCU' levels of success, it hasn't been a failure, either.  Likely takings after Japan has finished screening the movie is going to be around $250m.  That's not a failed movie.  So at least one movie is going to happen.  Likely, it will be a consolidation of content we've seen in 'PROMETHEUS', 'ALIEN Covenant' and the crowd pleasing elements of 'ALIENS' but on a much grander scale.

Hell, that actually sounds like a movie that could really kick the series back to life.   Scott did say this was going to be Epic.  At this point I have more reasons to believe him than not. 

-Windebieste.

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

Quote from: windebieste on Jul 22, 2017, 02:29:24 PM
I have an impression that Star Wars, Star Trek and any DC / Marvel fanbases / fandoms are MUCH MORE easily pleased. Alien fandom on the other hand is full of malcontents (sure they are to be found everywhere), but it is the most divisive one.

The franchises you mention all have one thing in common and that's a formula, they all have a template to follow so you pretty much get what you expect. The alien films are all so different that the fan base splits into different camps.

The Aliens action orientated approach appears to be the most popular from what I can see so I think that's probably the most financially viable route to take. It's not what I would like personally but it looks like I'm in the minority.

I do think that's the route Scott is intending to take the series.  Take a look at the end of 'ALIEN Covenant'.  It's set up for large scale conflict in that vein.  Then consider some of the things that Scott has said - not just hinted at, but actually said.

On a number of occasions, he's mentioned a "war of the worlds" scenario.  More than once he's indicated that.  He's also mentioned a "possible return to an ALIENS" movie sometime.  I can't remember where he's actually said these things so I am just paraphrasing.  Mind you, he hasn't said too much else about the direction the next movie(s) will take but it appears to me from the evidence we have seen so far, Madness and War will be significant themes tackled.  Especially as Scott has also said the Engineers will return to "find their planet decimated".  Sounds to me like a healthy combat scenario is developing.

Given that Fox wants the 'ALIEN' series to be successful, it would be counterproductive to that goal to kill it dead right now.  While it hasn't had 'Star Wars' or 'MCU' levels of success, it hasn't been a failure, either.  Likely takings after Japan has finished screening the movie is going to be around $250m.  That's not a failed movie.  So at least one movie is going to happen.  Likely, it will be a consolidation of content we've seen in 'PROMETHEUS', 'ALIEN Covenant' and the crowd pleasing elements of 'ALIENS' but on a much grander scale.

Hell, that actually sounds like a movie that could really kick the series back to life.   Scott did say this was going to be Epic.  At this point I have more reasons to believe him than not. 

-Windebieste.

I hope you're right. I'm happy with a more action film approach if Scott is at the helm.

0321recon

0321recon

Quote from: windebieste on Jul 22, 2017, 02:29:24 PM

-Windebieste.

I'm crossing my fingers this is how they go.

Ingwar

Ingwar

The thing is that I don't trust Scott anymore :) What will be will be.

NickisSmart

NickisSmart

Quote from: Ingwar on Jul 22, 2017, 02:57:43 PM

All this talk about trust, and hurting fans feelings. He doesn't owe us anything. I hope he makes 100 films that conform to his ideas and his vision, and those things only.

"Beethoven, write your symphonies the way I want!" --Napoleon

Segura

Segura

he's the George Lucas of Alien, just give it to Blompkamp

evilmark443

evilmark443

My main issue with Covenant was that imo there wasn't enough focus on the creatures. It felt more like "David: Covenant", with the aliens just there to push the plot forward.

Salt The Fries

I want some grand scope action with engineers, humans, neos and xenos with War of the Worlds scale and Black Hawk Down's grittiness.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: NickisSmart on Jul 22, 2017, 03:04:23 PM
Quote from: Ingwar on Jul 22, 2017, 02:57:43 PM

All this talk about trust, and hurting fans feelings. He doesn't owe us anything. I hope he makes 100 films that conform to his ideas and his vision, and those things only.

"Beethoven, write your symphonies the way I want!" --Napoleon

Doesn't look like he will be doing more alien movies any time soon.

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

Just one more film to finish the story, and then no more Alien films.

Or I suppose that they could do a reboot, but only after I am dead, please.

Samhain13

Samhain13

They could make a "reboot" by just making another alien movie that is not related to any of the stuff that happened to the other movies so far.

It could still fit within the continuity, just make it unrelated to Ripley, LV-426 or whatever. Just a new story, new characters, make it more into the future so it doesn't contradict anything from the other movies, and leave the derelict from LV-426 alone.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed