Work on the Sequels Stopped?

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 18, 2017, 11:49:17 AM

Author
Work on the Sequels Stopped? (Read 152,038 times)

Salt The Fries

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED.

nanison

nanison

Fantastic news!

Gash

Gash

Quote from: nanison on Jul 18, 2017, 09:28:13 PM
Fantastic news!

Yes, The nihilistic ending with David set to create thousands of aliens is a good send off. Let's hope that if there's to be no sequel then it truly is the end and isn't going to get f**ked up by Blomkamp or anyone else reviving it with a by-the-numbers rehash.

SuicideDoors

SuicideDoors

To be honest I'm happy one way or another if we get a sequel or not. It was great to see Fox make Alien an event movie again, something I didn't think would happen. But I think I enjoyed the hype and lead up to the film more than the film itself. If a Ridley Scott Alien movie can't draw the masses in then maybe the series (in a theatrical sense) needs to go on ice. Covenant was a decent movie and oddball enough to grow a solid reputation down the line.

I just saw War for the Planet of the Apes and it was so so so good, but even that's underperforming at the box office. I don't know what the answer is but I don't envy the position Fox are in; they're cranking out some quality franchise movies but the well seems to be all but dried up.

Quote from: Gash on Jul 18, 2017, 09:44:14 PM
Quote from: nanison on Jul 18, 2017, 09:28:13 PM
Fantastic news!

Yes, The nihilistic ending with David set to create thousands of aliens is a good send off. Let's hope that if there's to be no sequel then it truly is the end and isn't going to get f**ked up by Blomkamp or anyone else reviving it with a by-the-numbers rehash.

Agreed! If this is the last Alien film for a decade or more at least it went out with some quality and intriguing mystery.

PRI. HUDSON

PRI. HUDSON

Fake news as far as I am concerned

oduodu

oduodu

Cameron's holding avatar in reserve. When that gets released I will leave all in its wake. Maybe even star wars.

Gash

Gash

Quote from: oduodu on Jul 18, 2017, 11:17:02 PM
Cameron's holding avatar in reserve. When that gets released I will leave all in its wake. Maybe even star wars.

Surely Avatar's big draw back in 2010 was the novelty of 3D, it didn't have much else going for it. I can't honestly see any sequel to Avatar being that big a hit. I'd hazard a guess that the interest for 3D, outside China, is probably on the wane. But whether it is or not there is no ground-breaking novelty to it anymore.

tleilaxu

tleilaxu

Ugh, more Pocahontas in spaces. It's probably going to work though.

NickisSmart

NickisSmart

I can't imagine Avatar getting a sequel made that does as well as the first one did, unless they make some changes or add certain draws, in regards to the writing. Then again, total crap like the Transformers sequels continue to make bank, so what do I know? maybe Avatar and its ilk are all that most theater-goers want.

I hope that the news about Covenant isn't true. It seems like it's not exactly from the horse's mouth, or a direct source.

Highland

Highland

Yeah, why would the highest grossing movie of all time with mostly positive reviews do well with a sequel? Doesn't make sense.

Cameron only has the top two on the list which is hardly conclusive. Everything points to a bomb. 

windebieste

windebieste

'Avatar' did well because it embraced 3D technology like no previous movie. 

People didn't go because it was a great story, or because Weaver was in it (*GASP* Shocking!  I Know.  lol ) or because anyone thought it was any good.

It was successful because it was a spectacle the likes of which audiences hadn't experienced before.

Of course sequels are being made.  As to whether Cameron can pull another technological coup like he did with 'Avatar', that's another story altogether.

-Windebieste.

Highland

Highland

I'd imagine you'd be saying pre-release "people are not going to see this because its just a gimmic and too much CGI, this movie will bomb"

Movie made nearly 3 bil and nobody though it was any good. Keep em coming boys.

windebieste

windebieste

Imagine what you like.  The truth is a lot of people went to see the movie to be 'Wowed!' by it and many couldn't tell you anything about the story afterwards.  Which was more or less a rehash of 'Pocahontas' and/or 'DUNE' depending on how you look at it.

Like was like a great a pyrotechnics display; and everybody loves fireworks.  It was something unique at time of release. 

Of course people went in droves to see it. 

-Windebieste.

Alionic

Alionic

Quote from: Highland on Jul 19, 2017, 02:04:44 AM
I'd imagine you'd be saying pre-release "people are not going to see this because its just a gimmic and too much CGI, this movie will bomb"

It's the 5th or so sequel to Dances with Wolves. James Cameron is a plagiarist.

Also, I don't think the source in the OP is credible. I'd wait for Scott, Fassbender, or FOX to weigh in.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: Alionic on Jul 19, 2017, 02:18:02 AM
Quote from: Highland on Jul 19, 2017, 02:04:44 AM

It's the 5th or so sequel to Dances with Wolves. James Cameron is a plagiarist.

With Space Aliens. I guess then any movie (The last Samurai is about something similar) is just a rip off.

All stupid talk aside, I think it would sense for Scott to come back as just a producer of some sort. With those other two movies mentioned Scott will be possibly 83? by the time Awakening comes around. The only other Director I can think of that old is Clint Eastwood and I'm not sure if he's done or not.

Just seems like a time thing more than anything else. I'm sure if Covenant killed it at the box office it might be different, but really if you're going to take a 4? year break between Prom and Cov then I see no rush on the last one which is probably the reason it's possibly been shelved for now.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed