Work on the Sequels Stopped?

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 18, 2017, 11:49:17 AM

Author
Work on the Sequels Stopped? (Read 151,714 times)

kwisatz

kwisatz

Quote from: windebieste on Jul 19, 2017, 02:11:46 AM
Imagine what you like.  The truth is a lot of people went to see the movie to be 'Wowed!' by it and many couldn't tell you anything about the story afterwards.  Which was more or less a rehash of 'Pocahontas' and/or 'DUNE' depending on how you look at it.

Like was like a great a pyrotechnics display; and everybody loves fireworks.  It was something unique at time of release. 

Of course people went in droves to see it. 

-Windebieste.

Huh funny, i never recognized that DUNE aspect in Avatar - though its blatantly obvious, thx man. Can you think of anything pre-DUNE that uses a similar story pattern? I mean theres 'Lawrence of Arabia', but this guy more or less betrays the arabs in the end and is a puppet all along anyway.

Anything real old, like Bible old or something? Any myth?

edit: aaaaand Moses, ha... anything else?

edit2: aeh wait no Moses is actually the opposite lol  ::) (edit3: but then finally gets to a similar pattern nonetheless...)

windebieste

windebieste

'Avatar' = 'Jungles of Dune'. lol

The Shai Hulud riding warrior from another world leads the indigenous warriors into battle against the invading otherworldly foreigners who are ruthlessly seeking their precious 'unobtanium' or 'spice'. 

Blue skinned cat people or blue eyed fremen?  Take your pick.

-Windebieste.

tleilaxu

tleilaxu

Funny, I never noticed the similarities either, despite being quite a Dune fan, as you can probably gleam from my username.

windebieste

windebieste

Anyway, 'Avatar's success is irrelevant to any sequels pending for 'ALIEN Covenant'.

Personally, I feel these podcasters are blowing smoke laced with sensationalism.  The movie may not be a success at the same level as 'Avatar' but for an R-rated effort, it's doing fine.  BluRay in a few weeks time.  Can't wait for that. 

-Windebieste.

Scorpio

Scorpio

Untitled Alien: Covenant Sequel (2019) - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6980596/?ref_=nm_flmg_prd_2

Yes I know that doesn't make it 'official', but I'll take that over some fan podcast any day.

windebieste

windebieste

Once again, I'll wait for official statement from Fox.

On the other hand...

'HALFLIFE 3' confirmed!

-Windebieste.

NickisSmart

NickisSmart

Quote from: Highland on Jul 19, 2017, 01:37:45 AM
Yeah, why would the highest grossing movie of all time with mostly positive reviews do well with a sequel? Doesn't make sense.

Mostly positive, where the complaints about Dances with Smurfs get ignored. But, see, just because you close your eyes to it doesn't mean the complaints aren't there.

As for the box office draw. That doesn't translate to good film. It translates to good businessman. Not the same thing.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: NickisSmart on Jul 19, 2017, 04:28:38 AM
Quote from: Highland on Jul 19, 2017, 01:37:45 AM
Yeah, why would the highest grossing movie of all time with mostly positive reviews do well with a sequel? Doesn't make sense.

Mostly positive, where the complaints about Dances with Smurfs get ignored. But, see, just because you close your eyes to it doesn't mean the complaints aren't there.

As for the box office draw. That doesn't translate to good film. It translates to good businessman. Not the same thing.

Covenant has a lot of positive scores and theres plenty of eye shutting going on around here.

People go to the cinema to be entertained, it's not difficult. Cameron made a spectacle and audiences liked it. Theres not much more to it than that.

0321recon

0321recon

Quote from: windebieste on Jul 19, 2017, 03:56:28 AM

Personally, I feel these podcasters are blowing smoke laced with sensationalism.  The movie may not be a success at the same level as 'Avatar' but for an R-rated effort, it's doing fine.  BluRay in a few weeks time.  Can't wait for that. 

-Windebieste.
That's one of the reasons everything needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

With Covenant, it's an R rated feature. I never expect it to do x number due to its graphic content, though now with the super hero franchises most are expecting to be making bank. Well, lets see what happens if they're right this time.

NickisSmart

NickisSmart

Quote from: Highland on Jul 19, 2017, 05:12:28 AM

Covenant has a lot of positive scores and theres plenty of eye shutting going on around here.

To take a leaf from Milton, I'd rather Scott ruled in Hell, than reigned in Heaven.

Not saying he fully succeeds in valorizing his artistic vision, but at least he tries.

People go to the cinema to be entertained, it's not difficult. Cameron made a spectacle and audiences liked it. Theres not much more to it than that.

Opiate for the masses, sure. But a legitimately great film from a story-telling standpoint, or in terms of acting? All rather average. People overlook that film's flaws because it makes money and it's technologically impressive. Of course, Scott's films are visually impressive, but the main factor seems to be money accrued, here. For me, that doesn't matter in the slightest, and no matter how much money a film makes or doesn't, will have nothing to do with why I defend or attack it. People who use the lucreativity of a film to argue for or against it are missing the point of artistic expression.

SM

SM

QuotePeople overlook that film's flaws because it makes money and it's technologically impressive.

:laugh:
Like they do with Transformers movies?

They're technologically impressive and make money and get roundly shitcanned.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: NickisSmart on Jul 19, 2017, 05:35:35 AM

To take a leaf from Milton, I'd rather Scott ruled in Hell, than reigned in Heaven.

Not saying he fully succeeds in valorizing his artistic vision, but at least he tries.

Opiate for the masses, sure. But a legitimately great film from a story-telling standpoint, or in terms of acting? All rather average. People overlook that film's flaws because it makes money and it's technologically impressive. Of course, Scott's films are visually impressive, but the main factor seems to be money accrued, here. For me, that doesn't matter in the slightest, and no matter how much money a film makes or doesn't, will have nothing to do with why I defend or attack it. People who use the lucreativity of a film to argue for or against it are missing the point of artistic expression.

We weren't talking about the quality of the film, we were talking about the likelihood of success for future sequels.

Quotelegitimately great film from a story-telling standpoint, or in terms of acting? All rather average

I thought the acting and the story in Covenant was Bollocks. So I don't know were we go from here. The best thing about it was the Robots.

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

Quote from: Highland on Jul 19, 2017, 06:51:54 AM
Quote from: NickisSmart on Jul 19, 2017, 05:35:35 AM

We weren't talking about the quality of the film, we were talking about the likelihood of success for future sequels.

Quotelegitimately great film from a story-telling standpoint, or in terms of acting? All rather average

I thought the acting and the story in Covenant was Bollocks. So I don't know were we go from here. The best thing about it was the Robots.

I guess it just comes down to personal taste funnily enough. I hated Avatar too, it was the point I finally lost all faith in Cameron but I understand I'm in the minority on this. Id put it on a par with the transformers films, sky flowers for the Zombie masses, but that's just my opinion.

As for the topic on hand, this is nothing more than hear say at the moment so I'm not going to hit the bottle yet.

However, I'm not sure we actually deserve another Alien Film if the reaction to the previous four films (6 if you count AvP) are anything to go by. Criticism is one thing but a lot of it goes way past fair, unbiased analysis. It strikes me as a fan base we are a pretty ungrateful lot.

SM

SM

Fox aren't overly worried about the reception to Covenant; it just didn't do the business that they hoped it would.

NickisSmart

NickisSmart

Are the two mutually exclusive, though?

Which were central to the story and played by an actor. Right?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed