Work on the Sequels Stopped?

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 18, 2017, 11:49:17 AM

Author
Work on the Sequels Stopped? (Read 151,491 times)

0321recon

0321recon

Quote from: Protozoid on Jul 24, 2017, 03:11:47 AM
We do know that most of the drafts that were written were more directly sequels to Prometheus, and that Scott was keen to begin shooting it asap. For some reason, those scripts weren't getting a green light. Then Blomkamp comes along and seemingly has an easier time convincing the studio to make his movie. Then Scott changes direction and calls his movie "Alien", and suddenly gets a green light. And the draft that got the green light included a bunch of things, like xenomorphs, that Scott never wanted to include. This movie was a compromise between what Scott wanted to make, and what Fox and Scott thought the fans wanted. At most, Scott can be blamed for selling out, but I think it's pretty clear that he self-censored himself to please the studio. The trial and error process of resubmitting the script over and over again resulted in many compromises that I believe degraded the final product.

I have to agree. If we speculate, It seems the entire 12 minute cut out sequence that included Noomi were the remains of all the Paradise scripts that were submitted before.

windebieste

windebieste

In regards tot he work on the sequel stopping?  Pfff...  Nothing has officially been stated.  We can consider the next movie is still in development until announcements are made. 

At this point, everything else is either speculation at best  or complete f**king irresponsible bullshit at worst.

Fox will call it when they consider it appropriate to do so.   

-Windebieste.

Mustangjeff

Mustangjeff

Was there an official Fox announcement that work on additional prequels had begun?  Besides Ridley saying the story was in the work--which probably means it's in the works between his two ears.

The series was toast as soon as they decided David created the Xenomorphs. 

Whoever made the decision, "Lets run with that" should never be involved with writing another story ever.  It's one thing to stumble if your trying to come up with something from scratch.  It's quite another to take one of the most ominous and mysterious preexisting back-stories and reduce it to a joke.  This shouldn't have been that hard to create prequels that made sense when viewed within the context of ALIEN.

The prequels didn't need to directly tie into ALIEN at all. It shouldn't have been that hard to come up with an mind-blowing story of how and why the Jockeys/Engineers created Xeno's?  Have explorers that predate ALIEN come across this information in frightening fashion.  Toss in some plat twist that ties into Prometheus--To create sometimes one must destroy.  Call it a day.   The pre-Covenant story theories floating around on this board would have been infinitely more satisfying.

You can have Xeno's in your prequel because they should have been kept as effing ancient beings.  At this point they should just go straight Starship Trooper.  Have the Jockeys show up with DinoXeno's and stomp Davids army out of existence :)

SM

SM

QuoteWas there an official Fox announcement that work on additional prequels had begun?  Besides Ridley saying the story was in the work--which probably means it's in the works between his two ears.

More or less.  He's not about to make such statements without the studio being on board, so it's obviously been discussed.

Mustangjeff

Mustangjeff

Quote from: SM on Jul 24, 2017, 04:59:31 AM
QuoteWas there an official Fox announcement that work on additional prequels had begun?  Besides Ridley saying the story was in the work--which probably means it's in the works between his two ears.

More or less.  He's not about to make such statements without the studio being on board, so it's obviously been discussed.

I'm not sure I agree with that statement.  Obviously things can and do change, but he's shown a propensity to says a lot of things that never come to fruition.  Either that, or he just fails to communicate his meaning properly.  My feeling, from reading his interviews over the past five years, is that he's totally willing to make statements that turn out completely wrong or misleading.

Alionic

Alionic

Quote from: Mustangjeff on Jul 24, 2017, 04:49:05 AM
Was there an official Fox announcement that work on additional prequels had begun?  Besides Ridley saying the story was in the work--which probably means it's in the works between his two ears.

Whoever made the decision, "Lets run with that" should never be involved with writing another story ever.  It's one thing to stumble if your trying to come up with something from scratch.  It's quite another to take one of the most ominous and mysterious preexisting back-stories and reduce it to a joke.  This shouldn't have been that hard to create prequels that made sense when viewed within the context of ALIEN.

This post is bad and Alien Covenant was good.

SM

SM

Quote from: Mustangjeff on Jul 24, 2017, 05:31:25 AM
Quote from: SM on Jul 24, 2017, 04:59:31 AM

I'm not sure I agree with that statement.  Obviously things can and do change, but he's shown a propensity to says a lot of things that never come to fruition.  Either that, or he just fails to communicate his meaning properly.  My feeling, from reading his interviews over the past five years, is that he's totally willing to make statements that turn out completely wrong or misleading.

He's simply not going to say there's another one in the works, if there hasn't been discussions about doing more.  It was the same before Resurrection came out.  There was a buzz around it and they were talking about doing another one fairly quickly.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: Gash on Jul 23, 2017, 10:14:35 PM
Fine, at least you can therefore debate on it.

What happens if your favourite two characters are David and Sub-zero?

SM

SM

Fatality!

Anyway, it's all good - "The Alien franchises future is assured!" according to SciFied, because...

I'm not sure.

Highland

Highland

! 😂

windebieste

windebieste

Maybe because it was an unfounded beat up in the first place? 

Mind you, SciFied is no better informed than the source for all of these unverified rumors.

-Windebieste.

NickisSmart

NickisSmart

Exactly! I'm not buying into any of this until I hear it from a verified source.

I see so many here lot praise and revere canonicality in regards to actual cinematic output from FOX, yet when it comes to this kind of gossip, they'd gladly divert their praise to the very sources one would ordinarily condemn. It's nonsense.

SM

SM

Quote from: SM on Jul 22, 2017, 12:31:55 AM
This 're-assess' news really shouldn't come as a surprise. 

Quote"It got great reviews and was everything we set out for it to be, it just didn't hit the note at the box office," says Fred Baron, the 20th Century Fox executive on the movie: "It will be a profitable film for the studio but whether there's another one [is uncertain]."

From 2 weeks ago

There was concern about more instalments within a week of it coming out.

Verified source from 13 pages ago for anyone paying attention and not wallowing in denial.

tleilaxu

tleilaxu

Quote from: Mustangjeff on Jul 24, 2017, 04:49:05 AM

The prequels didn't need to directly tie into ALIEN at all. It shouldn't have been that hard to come up with an mind-blowing story of how and why the Jockeys/Engineers created Xeno's?  Have explorers that predate ALIEN come across this information in frightening fashion.  Toss in some plat twist that ties into Prometheus--To create sometimes one must destroy.  Call it a day.   The pre-Covenant story theories floating around on this board would have been infinitely more satisfying.

You can have Xeno's in your prequel because they should have been kept as effing ancient beings.  At this point they should just go straight Starship Trooper.  Have the Jockeys show up with DinoXeno's and stomp Davids army out of existence :)
It's that "80 years of mythology" argument again.. I think the people saying this are either obsessive fanboys who've built a big and expansive headcanon, or just people copying popular opinions from social media. In any case, please re-consider your opinion, friend. The xenomorph clearly looks like something that has been manufactured, even in the original Giger art, and David also made them by crossbreeding and hybridizing pre-existing forms. Aside from that, the whole "600000 years of mythology" is a bad meme to begin with, as the xenomorph origins were left to be completely vague in the original.

iceman

iceman

They have to do something..Covenant was a mess...Imo making the android the key figure and creator was ridiculous, save it for blade runner not Alien.  Also the failure to explain or create the foundation story for the engineers was a huge error.  I am afraid Mr Scott has lost the focus of what made Alien and Aliens great movies.  You don't need 4 prequels to get to the original Alien and you don't need to make a psychotic android the lead and focus.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed