Covenant made only for 111 millions.

Started by Ingwar, May 07, 2017, 09:46:21 AM

Author
Covenant made only for 111 millions. (Read 24,886 times)

SiL

SiL

$76 million today, which is still substantially less than Covenant.

Alien's budget would still only be $36 million today.

Ingwar

Quote from: Clowndog on May 07, 2017, 11:43:30 AM
AvP also came out 13 years ago, so I imagine the equivalent of 60 million would be somewhat higher today.

Gazz

Gazz

Quote from: Darkness on May 07, 2017, 09:51:27 AM
So, slightly less than Prometheus's $120-$130M. That's still quite a lot of money for what is essentially a small monster movie.

The budget for Prometheus would be significantly higher (by 15-20m) had it not been for the UK tax break.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: SiL on May 07, 2017, 11:38:58 AM
Quote from: Ingwar on May 07, 2017, 10:17:19 AM
Covenant's got more built sets than AvP. And it's not only the quantity but quality as well. It costs.
AvP was done entirely on sets and they were all immense and well-made. That film looked like it cost 100 million on the sets alone.

Maybe but it's a crap movie anyway. It cannot compete with Covenant on technical level. Covenant is more expensive because its got more expensive director, cinematographer, production designer, special effects, cast and so on. It's about quality which is always expensive.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Ingwar on May 07, 2017, 12:21:14 PM
Maybe but it's a crap movie anyway.
Still has really nice sets.

QuoteCovenant is more expensive because its got more expensive director, cinematographer, production designer, special effects, cast and so on. It's about quality which is always expensive.
Suggesting they spent all of their money on their crew doesn't leave much hope for the production, does it?

cliffhanger

yet avp is reminded as shit and avp:r as shit that you just stepped on,

and covenant will vastly be remembered as ridley's breakthrough return to the original movie and highly memorable, being right up there with the original and the sequel.

Cheeseburgers

Cheeseburgers

Quote from: cliffhanger on May 07, 2017, 12:55:39 PM

and covenant will vastly be remembered as ridley's breakthrough return to the original movie and highly memorable, being right up there with the original and the sequel.
I always felt sorry for strauss brothers. I mean they worked hard on that film despite studio restrictions, and to have someone screw up the lighting must have been terrible for them. I always wondered if they could have corrected that would it have been somewhat better??

cucuchu

cucuchu

Quote from: Gigeresque on May 07, 2017, 02:08:55 PM

I always felt sorry for brothers. I mean they worked hard on that film despite studio restrictions, and to have someone screw up the lighting must have been terrible for them. I always wondered if they could have corrected that would it have been somewhat better??

I always thought the bad lighting was due to cheaply designed Xenomorphs. I think better lighting would of hurt that movie actually. But I admit that I have a illogical hatred for that movie so its hard for me to talk about it without sounding like a pettifogging asshole.

Samhain13

Was expecting it to be around Prometheus range.

Robopadna

Quote from: Ingwar on May 07, 2017, 09:46:21 AM
Scott reveals Covenant budget.

Quote"It's fatal to turn up on set and say, 'What are we going to do?'" he says. "Fatal to discuss where the cameras are going to go. You cannot do that. That's where it comes unhinged. A film like Alien: Covenant would normally be 100 days; we did it in 74. We made it for $111m, as opposed to $180m or $260m. It's insane the amount of money spent. When you're spending $250m on a movie, you should have been fired a year ago."

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/may/07/ridley-scott-i-really-wanted-to-scare-alien-covenant-interview-blade-runner-2049

A few thing. First that's really disengenuous for him to say that. You really think Disney execs should be fired for spending that on their marvel and Star Wars properties? He's sounding more like he's incredibly jealous than actually making a point.

Second, this movie still has to clear a decent hurdle, financially, that I'm not sure it can in the box office. Overall I'm sure it will at least break even after DVD sales etc. 

Cheeseburgers

Cheeseburgers

Quote from: Robopadna on May 07, 2017, 02:24:48 PM

Quote"It's fatal to turn up on set and say, 'What are we going to do?'" he says. "Fatal to discuss where the cameras are going to go. You cannot do that. That's where it comes unhinged. A film like Alien: Covenant would normally be 100 days; we did it in 74. We made it for $111m, as opposed to $180m or $260m. It's insane the amount of money spent. When you're spending $250m on a movie, you should have been fired a year ago."

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/may/07/ridley-scott-i-really-wanted-to-scare-alien-covenant-interview-blade-runner-2049

A few thing. First that's really disengenuous for him to say that. You really think Disney execs should be fired for spending that on their marvel and Star Wars properties? He's sounding more like he's incredibly jealous than actually making a point.

Second, this movie still has to clear a decent hurdle, financially, that I'm not sure it can in the box office. Overall I'm sure it will at least break even after DVD sales etc.

You forget this film opens in 3 quaters of the world on the 19th including China which will bring in some real good numbers.

cucuchu

We will see, but Prometheus managed to more than break even and even do quite well with JUST box office. I believe A: C will outperform Prometheus so hopefully that hurdle is cleared by the second weekend of U.S. cinema release (3rd week in other countries).

Robopadna

Robopadna

Quote from: cucuchu on May 07, 2017, 02:29:58 PM

We will see, but Prometheus managed to more than break even and even do quite well with JUST box office. I believe A: C will outperform Prometheus so hopefully that hurdle is cleared by the second weekend of U.S. cinema release (3rd week in other countries).

Prometheus did okish on returns. AC will not make a profit domestically. Assuming the 110 number is right, the film would have to make, approximately 250 million for the film to even sniff coming close to breaking even.  It's closer to about 350+

That won't happen.
'

NickisSmart

Quote from: SiL on May 07, 2017, 12:24:04 PM
Quote from: Ingwar on May 07, 2017, 12:21:14 PM
Maybe but it's a crap movie anyway.
Still has really nice sets.

QuoteCovenant is more expensive because its got more expensive director, cinematographer, production designer, special effects, cast and so on. It's about quality which is always expensive.
Suggesting they spent all of their money on their crew doesn't leave much hope for the production, does it?

But at least they'll have a nice crew. Right?

cliffhanger

Quote from: Gigeresque on May 07, 2017, 02:08:55 PM

I always felt sorry for strauss brothers. I mean they worked hard on that film despite studio restrictions, and to have someone screw up the lighting must have been terrible for them. I always wondered if they could have corrected that would it have been somewhat better??

lol, as if the problem with the movie was due to lighting. come on, for real.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed